I hate leaving my horse out when its supposed to rain - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 05-22-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: at the barn
Posts: 1,812
• Horses: 1
Red face I hate leaving my horse out when its supposed to rain

Rain.... I hate it..... Our local forecast says rain 30% chance tonight and my horse is out but, you know what he's staying out because every time it says it's going to rain it ends up not raining.

I mean if it rains I can always go over and put him back in but, he's such a happy camper outside that I would feel bad putting him back in.

My BO made a joke though. when i asked her if it was going to rain tonight she said "not that i know of why" told her i want to put him out but, afraid of him getting rained on (he already has rain rot on his leg) and she was like "the wild horses do it, i'm sure he can" i guess i'll have to run back if it rains..

I'm such a worried horse mommy. On the upside his allergies have gotten so much better since I have his fly mask on him

om nom nom grass

munching away
beauforever23 is offline  
post #2 of 31 Old 05-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,051
• Horses: 2
My horses live outside 24/7. They live in snow, wind, rain, thunder, mud and anything else nature throws at them. They have a nice shelter to get under, but can't say I have ever seen them in it except to get out of the sun when it is hot.
They have no issues, have beautiful coats and great attitudes. I can't imagine not letting my horses stay out, can't imagine them being locked up in stalls.
wyominggrandma is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 05-22-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: at the barn
Posts: 1,812
• Horses: 1
The only reason I say I would want to put my horse in is because he doesn't have shelter to go under or in, in the paddock so he would get soaked.
beauforever23 is offline  
post #4 of 31 Old 05-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforever23 View Post
The only reason I say I would want to put my horse in is because he doesn't have shelter to go under or in, in the paddock so he would get soaked.
I would bet that he would prefer to be out - soaked or not. My horses are out 24/7 as well with access to the common area of the barn and they never go in there except at feeding time.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 05-22-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: at the barn
Posts: 1,812
• Horses: 1
Yeah I'm sure he'd love to be outside rather than inside. He always fights me when I go to put him in.
beauforever23 is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 05-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,737
• Horses: 2
That's why I got my mare a blanket with zero fill (to add to her already massive blanket collection). :) That way, she can be dry and out when it's raining.
I worried about her shivering off weight because anytime it rains (which is pretty much all the time in NW Oregon) and she gets wet, it's inevitable that she'll be shivering. Usually, when she has access to shelter, she'll go stand in it until it stops raining. However, in Oregon we get days of rain as opposed to showers and since her main source of food currently is grass, I don't want her just standing in her shelter and not eating since that's what she would do. When she has her blanket on she's totally fine going around in the rain.

So why don't you get Beau a lightweight, no fill, blanket to wear when there's a chance of rain? That way, you can just stick it on him when it might rain and not worry about if it's starting to rain or whatever since he's already protected.

Fabio - 13 year old Arabian/Lipizzan gelding

~
Rest peacefully, Lacey.
Wallaby is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 05-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 359
• Horses: 3
If he doesn't want to go in, why put him in? I don't mean that in a rude way. Just that my horses stayed out in the rain, sometimes rugged, sometimes not. They have a field shelter. I have not seen my horses go into that field shelter ONCE because of rain. Seriously, the rain won't even bother him. If he wants to stay out, personally I'd leave him out. Chillax, no worries.

~The most important lesson my horse ever taught me is how much I have left to learn~
SkyeAngel is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 05-22-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: at the barn
Posts: 1,812
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
That's why I got my mare a blanket with zero fill (to add to her already massive blanket collection). :) That way, she can be dry and out when it's raining.
I worried about her shivering off weight because anytime it rains (which is pretty much all the time in NW Oregon) and she gets wet, it's inevitable that she'll be shivering. Usually, when she has access to shelter, she'll go stand in it until it stops raining. However, in Oregon we get days of rain as opposed to showers and since her main source of food currently is grass, I don't want her just standing in her shelter and not eating since that's what she would do. When she has her blanket on she's totally fine going around in the rain.

So why don't you get Beau a lightweight, no fill, blanket to wear when there's a chance of rain? That way, you can just stick it on him when it might rain and not worry about if it's starting to rain or whatever since he's already protected.
I should do that. I never even thought of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAngel View Post
If he doesn't want to go in, why put him in? I don't mean that in a rude way. Just that my horses stayed out in the rain, sometimes rugged, sometimes not. They have a field shelter. I have not seen my horses go into that field shelter ONCE because of rain. Seriously, the rain won't even bother him. If he wants to stay out, personally I'd leave him out. Chillax, no worries.
Well he's out but, another reason is because, he's prone to rain rot and all that good stuff and over here when it actually does rain it normally comes down really heavy and if I leave him out and it rains the paddocks look like swamps.
beauforever23 is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 05-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mississippi, Usa
Posts: 2,978
• Horses: 0
The only time I ever put my horse in is in a bad summer electrical storm, unless it's tornadic.
Katesrider011 is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 05-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,148
• Horses: 1
My horses make it through tornadoes. I'm sure a little rain won't hurt. Besides, one of mine would throw a fit if I made him miss out on the chance of a play time through a good rainstorm.

Red Money Maker (Red) - 2004 Sorrel QH Gelding
Tennessee is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you think of my first horse drawing that looks like what it's supposed to? Phantomstallion Art and Craft Work 3 03-05-2011 07:54 PM
What am I supposed to do with my goat when I take my horse to horse camp with me? Brianna6432 Farm Animals 13 05-14-2010 11:21 AM
When riding my horse bareback, how am I supposed to stay on her while she's trotting? Brianna6432 Horse Talk 23 04-04-2010 05:15 PM
Yay for going on Horse Forum when I'm supposed to be ShannonSevenfold Horse Talk 3 09-27-2009 11:15 AM
What are you supposed to do if your horse is bitten by a snake while on a trail ride? CloudsMystique Horse Health 2 09-20-2009 01:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome