I have a hard choice... - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: southern Illinois
Posts: 298
• Horses: 0
I agree with everyone else too. I sadly had to sell my arab some years ago too because of a similar situation, but, he was young, and he had so much going for him in the future, so with a broken heart, I sold him....and now he is doing professional level dressage and bringing home the blue ribbons!! I couldn't be happier for him....it's bitter-sweet though.
annaleah is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pickton, TX
Posts: 555
• Horses: 3
I say sell her. Everyone I know who has had a really good offer on a horse said no and not to long after something happened to the horse.
Crimsonhorse01 is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,296
• Horses: 1
I would sell her.... perhaps you could add an option that you get first right to breed when they retire her or first right of refusal when they go to sell her... or if she becomes unusuably lame, that you would take her back...... good luck. Letting go of your horse is hard. So is letting go of money like that.
Citrus is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montana
Posts: 955
• Horses: 2
As a parent I would have to say, sell her. Tough choice, but you will have so many responsibilities starting out in your young life and if they are a good home it might be the best thing for her.
Juniper is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,179
• Horses: 4
*Shrugs* Usually I would be the first to hop on the selling bandwagon, as that's generally what I do - buy to sell.

However, firstly - I always have set goals I want to acheive before selling the horse. have you acheived everything you want to with her?

And secondly - Is she 'that' horse? I have one of 'those' horses who I will NEVER sell no matter how much money I get offered. I could easily make a 500% profit on what we paid for him, but he will live out his days with us.

It's up to you - If you need the money and can let her go, then do it - If you can getby without, and you can't bear to part with her, then don't, as you will always regret it.

wild_spot is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,051
• Horses: 2
Its a hard choice, but like everyone says, in this financial mess we are all in, that is alot of money and sounds as if it would be a big help to you for future plans.
When I was breeding Shetland Sheepdogs, I was approached by a Japanese buyer for one of my Champion girls. I really loved this dog, but I also knew with an offer of $10,000 I would be a fool to say no. I sent her to Japan where she lives in a beautiful kennel and is well loved. Hard decision at the time, but the money was put to use very easily.
I say sell her and start over with a new youngster, sounds as if your can train them and there will be many more for you.
wyominggrandma is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 902
• Horses: 4
No shes not 'that' horse wild_spot. Thats my gelding. Ive been offered $30,000 and I didnt even have to think before turning it down.
And as far as reaching goals... no I havent. I wanted a baby from her.
And as far as a good home.... my friends say she will have a good one. But I dont know these people myself. And I wouldnt sell her to my friends, as bad as that sounds. But they are the type to ride the hair off, spur the blood if they dont move quick enough. And shes lazy. And the peole want something to work cows on eventually... and I dont see her ever making a cow horse. Shes not catty enough. I have been working on reining.. and shes doin really well in it.
I mean I know I can afford and have time for her. Ive had my place for almost a year now. And I go home from work and ride 6-7 horses a day. And often get told my horses are spoiled because I do make so much time for them. Even when I have horses in for training. Mine dont see a drop in attention. Im out till 11 at night if I have to be.

***EDIT*** She was sold for $5000 as a weanling. So I know shes a valuable horse.
And she has already been through one bad home. When I got her she was about 300lbs under weight... as a yearling. I really thought I was getting her to pu her down. And im just scared with the economy for her to go through that again.

UUUGGGHHHH.... im just so torn.

Many people have sighed for the 'good old days' and regretted the 'passing of the horse,' but today, when only those who like horses own them, it is a far better time for horses. ~C.W. Anderson

Last edited by Cowgirl140ty; 08-03-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Cowgirl140ty is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 08-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,051
• Horses: 2
you can always do a "search" on the folks wanting to buy her. Ask them for references, talk to their vet, other horse folks. That kind of thing. Then really talk to them. If it feels good, then sell her. If your gut tells you this is not a good thing, then don't sell her.
When I sold puppies, I always talked to the buyer, their vet, other dog people. If I liked what I saw and heard, then I would sell a puppy. IF it just did not click with me, then I refused the sale. I usually found my gut instinct was right.
Sounds as if you don't need to sell her, just could use the money like everyone can these days.
wyominggrandma is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 08-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: on the way to Hell in a Handbasket
Posts: 291
• Horses: 1
I would say if you feel comfortable selling her Go for it, but make sure she has a good home. Do a little research on these people, and Go with your gut feeling. You could use the $10,000, just like everyone else. But are you going to regret this a ways down the road? I think thats something to take into consideration as well..

best of luck, let us all know the outcome!

Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark.
Follow my intern Blog at:
RogueMare is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 08-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 182
• Horses: 5
wyominggrandma is exactly right.. I've never sold a cow or horse without doing some thorough research on the people I'm considering selling the animal to-- whether its for $1,000 or $50,000. If the extra work isn't worth it to them, well, then they don't deserve to own my animal. Usually I'll call their vet, farrier (hoof trimmer for cattle), trainer (if they have one), and maybe I'll ask around about them at a show (if they show). You always hear the worst of the worst about people at shows so be prepared to take that into consideration.. Not everything will be true, but some of it might be. When possible, I also like to visit wherever the animal will be going to live..

$10,000 isn't small change to most people, so they should be prepared to show that they know what that horse is worth by working with you. But in the end, if it doesn't feel right, then it never is.
soileddove is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gambler's Choice? Gallop English Riding 2 07-22-2010 11:33 AM
hard manure, hard time passing manure kim_angel Horse Health 11 05-05-2010 11:08 AM
Horse Choice Crimsonhorse01 Horse Talk 7 02-25-2010 11:05 AM
Best Choice!?? horseluver50 Horse Riding Critique 18 09-06-2009 11:29 PM
Help with bit choice Chella Horse Tack and Equipment 10 06-14-2009 08:07 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome