Input on negotiations welcome - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 479
• Horses: 0
If you're including the deposit as well I think $400-$500 is definitely reasonable.
JulieG is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 6,161
• Horses: 4
Lots of people don't know their horse has WLD if their farrier didn't know & tell them.
I've seen some bad cases where the disease was resected out & sometimes a bondo type stuff was put over it. Milder cases were treated twice daily & had trimming every 3 weeks so the medication could get up there. I don't recall the horses ever being unridable, though nothing extreme.
No matter what the hoof has to grow out.

The price seems reasonable.
natisha is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 34
• Horses: 0
The WLD wouldn't put me off one bit and if the vet and farrier think it isn't a very bad case and will soon come right then I would probably only try to knock a couple of hundred off what she is asking.

However, whatever the xrays and flexion tests are saying right now...a horse of that age that has been consistently jumped at that height would not even warrant a phone call from me. The damage that is very probably done might not show up for a year or two yet on xrays or during work, but I bet anything it will not very far down the line before the effect is seen.....walk away.
cobbywob is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 810
• Horses: 2
Thanks all for the opinions. Appreciate them ALL.

Again just wanted to say I was never wanting to suggest I take him for a measly $500! I was saying $500 plus by initial 300 deposit. So 800 bucks.

I have decided he will stay, future joint gamble and all. If he doesnt make an eventer because of his history, he will make a GREAT trail horse and companion. I love his personality. I am going to proceed with the initial $1000. If she wants to offer him for less, that is her choice/decision.

As far as 1,000 being a steal on him- his potential does make it an incredibly good investment but he is still pretty green under saddle. The fact that he managed to place 2nd at an event kind of mystifies me. He has no leg cues, no lateral movements and needs a lot of work on the flat with bending, working in a correct frame, etc. Also, the area I am in is lower priced for most horses in eventing, because there are not a lot of shows too close to us so the market is not really here. I am sure in other parts of the county 1,000 WOULD be a steal, and while I consider it a pretty dang fair is not extraordinary down here in my area. In our market, horses like him go for that. My friend just recently got a finished 10 year old TB who has shown up to training level (and done well) for 3k. In other places, that horse might go for 7k+.

Thanks again for the input. Being able to talk it out helps me make final decisions. Appreciate it as always HF friends :)
Saskia, FaydesMom and JulieG like this.
DriftingShadow is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking about buying a new trailer? Negotiations? BaileyJo Horse Trailers 10 01-22-2013 03:28 PM
Please critique this horse before Purchase Negotiations AbsitVita Horse Conformation Critique 16 09-13-2012 10:14 AM
Need some input DraftyAiresMum Other Pets 2 02-22-2012 10:00 PM
Need some input... TNJArabians Hoof Care 13 11-26-2011 08:33 PM
Thanks for the Input jennifer Horse Health 12 02-09-2007 11:19 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome