Just curious as to - The Horse Forum
 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-22-2013, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 847
• Horses: 0
Just curious as to

How many of you own and financially support your horse/horses AND solely support yourself paying rent, utilities, and all other necessities. I'm not trying to pry at anything here I am genuinely curious. I'm 25 myself, have a crappy job, but every one of my needs is provided by my income. Sadly I know I can't work a horse into my budget right now and I guess I'm looking for people in the same situation as me. It seems like I'm the only one
PurpleMonkeyWrench is offline  
post #2 of 16 Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Just south of sanity
Posts: 16,508
• Horses: 3
I've been doing that since I was 20 years old. Now I have a mortgage instead of rent, and 3 horses at home instead of boarding just 1.

I did get married and divorced in there at some point, but I never depended on his money for anything. I've been working full time since I was 17 years old.

It takes a lot of budgeting and cutting out personal and frivolous items for yourself. I cut and color my own hair, NEVER go out to eat, rarely go on vacation, shop at thrift stores for the majority of my clothing, and always buy what's on sale when it comes to food. I rarely buy name brand anything, and only if it happens to be on sale that week and cheaper than the generic. My 'new' truck is a 2008, and I have a 1994 Adam 2 horse bumper pull trailer.

Horses are a big expense, and the majority of my money goes to their care and comfort. Not everyone can or wants to live like I do, but for me it's not really an effort; I love living where I do and having the horses at home with me.
smrobs, FlyGap, Evansk and 2 others like this.

You want the truth? You can't HANDLE the truth!
Speed Racer is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 03-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 751
• Horses: 2
I am 20 and have a decent paying job. My BF and I rent a basement suite which is $1800.00 a month(we split it), I pay for grocerys fully though ($400.00 a month), car & house insurance is $110 (I work at a insurance office so thats with my discount), and cell phone is $85 a month. My horse is kept back home on Vancouver Island, my Mom and I pay $1000 a month board for him (not including vet/farrier) as he is both our horse, farrier is $60 every 6 weeks.

We are also getting a new horse to keep in Alberta which our board will be free we just pay for hay ($500 a year split between both of us) and do farm work and take care of other horses, farrier is $45 every 6 weeks.

I cut out A LOT in my life, I don't go out, don't shop, etc to afford what I have.

~A Cowboy's Chance~
1977-2011
Rest in Peace

Last edited by Fulford15; 03-22-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Fulford15 is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 03-22-2013, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 847
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post
I've been doing that since I was 20 years old. Now I have a mortgage instead of rent, and 3 horses at home instead of boarding just 1.

I did get married and divorced in there at some point, but I never depended on his money for anything. I've been working full time since I was 17 years old.

It takes a lot of budgeting and cutting out personal and frivolous items for yourself. I cut and color my own hair, NEVER go out to eat, rarely go on vacation, shop at thrift stores for the majority of my clothing, and always buy what's on sale when it comes to food. I rarely buy name brand anything, and only if it happens to be on sale that week and cheaper than the generic. My 'new' truck is a 2008, and I have a 1994 Adam 2 horse bumper pull trailer.

Horses are a big expense, and the majority of my money goes to their care and comfort. Not everyone can or wants to live like I do, but for me it's not really an effort; I love living where I do and having the horses at home with me.
I don't have any personal items to myself as it is lol well my cats, but that's it you sound like me spending wise. I hate shopping so I never spend excessively on pointless things. I shop at wal mart for my clothes. Nothing beats 4 dollar shirts and 10 dollar jeans!!! I do budget and find that I have 400 left over each month and board here is 175 including hay. I'm just not in a position to where I think I would be able to fully care for a horse in every possible situation and if/when things change (because I'm not in a very "secure" financial situation) I do not want to have to sell. When I acquire animals it's a lifelong commitment for me and I want to make sure I will be able to care for it and give it a good forever home. I just keep fighting with myself is all and I'm driving myself crazy lol
PurpleMonkeyWrench is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 847
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulford15 View Post
I am 20 and have a decent paying job. My BF and I rent a basement suite which is $1800.00 a month(we split it), I pay for grocerys fully though ($400.00 a month), car & house insurance is $110 (I work at a insurance office so thats with my discount), and cell phone is $85 a month. My horse is kept back home on Vancouver Island, my Mom and I pay $1000 a month board for him (not including vet/farrier) as he is both our horse, farrier is $60 every 6 weeks.

We are also getting a new horse to keep in Alberta which our board will be free we just pay for hay ($500 a year split between both of us) and do farm work and take care of other horses, farrier is $45 every 6 weeks.

I cut out A LOT in my life, I don't go out, don't shop, etc to afford what I have.
nice! I wish I had the experience to get a good paying job like that. Where I live is extra hard because I'm in a predominately Spanish speaking city and almost everyone's requirements are bi-lingual which I am not
PurpleMonkeyWrench is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 03-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 751
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMonkeyWrench View Post
nice! I wish I had the experience to get a good paying job like that. Where I live is extra hard because I'm in a predominately Spanish speaking city and almost everyone's requirements are bi-lingual which I am not
I had to move away from my horse in order to afford him, how weird is that? There is no work in my home town so I came to a "oil boom-town" to get ahead. We are saving to move back home and buy a farm there one day. Gotta go where opportunity is!

~A Cowboy's Chance~
1977-2011
Rest in Peace
Fulford15 is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 03-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,764
• Horses: 0
I've had horses for thirty plus years now. I've always paid for them myself. My husband and I do have our own place and I make my own hay and keep the haying equipment up myself as hubby, while fantastic with a hammer, isn't so great when it comes to machinery repairs. It's very rare that I buy anything at its full price - bargain hunting has become second nature to me. I live within my means and save up to purchase something rather than use credit for it.

One thing I did, over the years, was to upgrade my education which was probably the smartest thing I ever did for myself. I started out with a high school education and quickly deduced that if I was going to get some place (both with regard to a better job and the things I wanted) I was going to have to pull up my socks. I took night classes usually and saved up my vacation time to take the shorter intersession classes the university offered during the day. It took me awhile as I had to budget the cost of the classes and the time to take them as well as caring for my horses and me but I got there.
Chevaux is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 03-23-2013, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 847
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulford15 View Post
I had to move away from my horse in order to afford him, how weird is that? There is no work in my home town so I came to a "oil boom-town" to get ahead. We are saving to move back home and buy a farm there one day. Gotta go where opportunity is!
Not weird at all! I'd move away from my horse as well if it meant better money to be able to care for him properly. Where I live is basically a giant oil field lol maybe I should check out some of those job opportunities. I hope you are able to get back home soon and buy a farm! that would be amazing and is my dream one day
PurpleMonkeyWrench is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 03-23-2013, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 847
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevaux View Post
I've had horses for thirty plus years now. I've always paid for them myself. My husband and I do have our own place and I make my own hay and keep the haying equipment up myself as hubby, while fantastic with a hammer, isn't so great when it comes to machinery repairs. It's very rare that I buy anything at its full price - bargain hunting has become second nature to me. I live within my means and save up to purchase something rather than use credit for it.

One thing I did, over the years, was to upgrade my education which was probably the smartest thing I ever did for myself. I started out with a high school education and quickly deduced that if I was going to get some place (both with regard to a better job and the things I wanted) I was going to have to pull up my socks. I took night classes usually and saved up my vacation time to take the shorter intersession classes the university offered during the day. It took me awhile as I had to budget the cost of the classes and the time to take them as well as caring for my horses and me but I got there.
Sounds like you have a nice little set up there. *jealous* lol I have 65 college credits along with my high school diploma, but I'm starting to fall off of the college bandwagon. I think technical school is the better way to go now a days. I don't know I'm just a little confused right now I feel like I'm having a mid life crisis at 25 lol I'm hoping to have my self together and in a real career by the time I'm 30 ahhhhh I hope so!!
Back2Horseback likes this.
PurpleMonkeyWrench is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 03-23-2013, 01:23 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,764
• Horses: 0
Technical school can be an excellent way to go. What are your interests? While my education took the administrative route because of the job I was already in, I always fancied that if I were to do things over I would have been a mechanic or possibly a welder.
Back2Horseback likes this.
Chevaux is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Curious Mingiz Horse Talk 18 03-31-2010 10:37 PM
Curious Draftgirl17 Horse Breeds 2 02-01-2010 02:23 PM
Curious (; horsesroqke Horse Talk 11 01-21-2010 05:23 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome