Krones & Kodgers aka 60's or Thereabouts - Page 463 - The Horse Forum
 25169Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #4621 of 4748 Old 12-23-2019, 09:12 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 8,581
• Horses: 0
@LoriF , Termites We have pest control at the house which includes termite stations. Where I now live, they would chew the house down in no time.

When I lived on the OH/PA border, Powder Post Beetles could be an issue, at least in the homes dating back to the 20’s, 30’s, etc.

@george the mule , did you get your hay?

Another Suburu, lollol. You are like DH in that regard - he always has to have a vehicle to tinker with. He has his bracket racer for sale and wants to buy something to “modify” and make it just on the edge of NOT being streetable, lol.

@boots , you live an exciting and eclectic life:). I can barely fix bacon & eggs - there’s no way I would fix jambalaya, much less prepare it for a large group. I tip my hat to you:)

@Woodhaven , we share the same cleaning philosophy, lol. I am thankful for my home and appreciate it but mercy I do not like housework, lol.

My “guest” bedroom is so full of horse stuff, I can barely see the bed. Then there is the orthopedic dog bed I bought because it was on a good sale price. The Rottweiler doesn’t need it yet but it was on sale- it’s almost big enough that I could sleep on it, lol

@weedlady , great to hear you are getting some quality riding time:). Rusty is my horse that never liked to go alone. Duke was the best at being by himself but he sure raised a hissy fit if someone else went and he was left behind:)

Do you have an ETA for moving yourselves and the horses UP?

That was quite the food fest you brother hosted. Anytime there isn’t room for dessert, that says a lot for everything that came ahead of it

***
It is also warming up down this way. We will be in the 60’s the rest of this week, which is ~10 degrees above average.

Sunday was the kind of day people with SAD would have been therapy appointments. It rained nonstop from ~9:30 AM until —well it’s now Monday AM and it’s still drizzling, lollol. I’m pretty sure there’s a moat around the big manure pile, lol

My horses did their best to stay outside yesterday but I wouldn’t put hay outside for them because I didn’t want if ruined — if they wanted hay, they needed to go in the barn.

Around 3:30 or 4:00 they had had enough and said “just put our pajamas on us, load us up with hay for the night, then get down here early Monday morning to let us out, lol

That segways into my “over and out”, I need to get to the barn before they find a cell phone and call the horse abuse hotline

Oh here’s one more quick thing — Freyja the Spoiled Rottenweiler has been here one year now. She is two years and nine months old. She does GREAT with the horses - Rusty likes her and he doesn’t like dogs.

This pic was two weeks ago.

Freyja and my Catahoula wear e-collars when they go out checking fences. They no longer need the e-collars to go to the barn, but recall can often go out the window when they see deer or rabbits and I’m not taking any chances.

Long as they listen to verbal commands, they don’t get the first warning, lol

Notice she has her tail. Her breeder started not docking tails and it is my understanding Germany has now banned tail docking in Rottweilers but I could be wrong. She has a strikingly beautiful tail but it’s not a “whipping tail” as DH called the Labrador’s tail - Sally could dent the car when she got her tail going, lol
50B2B515-DC7E-4C10-A930-6994737E7360.jpg


Whaddaya know, this new Ipad Seven lets me load multiple pics onto a single post. Everyone needs to fasten their seatbelts now, lollol.

This was taken the same day. Rusty and Joker eating hay as close together as they will ever get because can be really mean to Joker. Freyja is in the background, near Rusty’s water tub.
50B2B515-DC7E-4C10-A930-6994737E7360.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09D63014-B9B0-4D7C-B97E-2F4919F55468.jpg (93.2 KB, 0 views)
RegalCharm, Celeste, boots and 6 others like this.

A Good Horseman Doesn't Have To Tell Anyone; The Horse Already Knows.

I CAN'T ride 'em n slide 'em. I HAVE to lead 'em n feed 'em Thnx cowchick77.

Last edited by walkinthewalk; 12-23-2019 at 09:17 AM.
walkinthewalk is online now  
post #4622 of 4748 Old 12-23-2019, 10:20 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Palmer Lake CO
Posts: 1,470
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeedlady View Post
First Solo ride with Tucker today!!! I love to ride alone, so getting my horses comfortable with just me is important. He did well for his first time, particularly because he HATES being without a horse friend at all times.

My brother and his wife hosted a Christmas party this evening. So much food, I actually had to turn down dessert!!! I just couldn't do it. I don't celebrate Christmas, so the remainder of the season will be an easy peaceful time for me.

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday, however you celebrate. Blessed Be.
Hi Weed
Well Tucker _had_ a friend along for comfort and emotional support then, didn't he? Good Job.
I'm not a Christian, and so don't really celebrate it as such, tho I do enjoy the holiday season. However were I a Christian, I would be appalled at the level of commercialization involved. Heck; I'm appalled anyway, it's simply disgusting :-P My $.02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinthewalk View Post
@george the mule , did you get your hay?

Another Suburu, lollol. You are like DH in that regard - he always has to have a vehicle to tinker with. He has his bracket racer for sale and wants to buy something to “modify” and make it just on the edge of NOT being streetable, lol.
Walk, no hay yet; it will wait until after the new year when things calm down a bit, but the chore is a lot easier when the ground is dry. I have to rework the paddock as well, and there is a ton (probably literally) of poop that needs to be managed; I noticed yesterday that it was beginning to thaw out, and it is worse than futile to try and deal with it when it is frozen to the ground. Probably I will pick the high-profile areas, and drag the wire harrow around to break-up and redistribute the rest.
The "new" Subaru is an old Impreza wagon. The kid I got it from ($300) had already put some work into the suspension, and I will concentrate on completing the "racing" setup. It needs a new clutch to be drivable, I have a different engine I want to install, and I will put DOT type "R" tires on it. And one door doesn't match; I guess I will get out the spray paint and masking tape.
It will remain "street legal" as this is nominally required for the class I intend to run, but with the very stiff ride, nervous alignment specs, and the slick racing tires, it won't be very comfortable to drive, or even safe on anything other than dry pavement. As you say; right on the edge :-) "Boys and their Toys."

Steve Jernigan KG0MB
Microelectronics Research
University of Colorado
george the mule is offline  
post #4623 of 4748 Old 12-23-2019, 02:01 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 8,581
• Horses: 0
Welllll - I - said - “fasten - Your - Picture - Seatbelts”. It’s the time of year for sharing, lollol. Besides, I tell so many stories about so many different places I have lived, every once in a while I think I need to post pictures so that people know I’m not making things up

These are fotos of my third month living in SoCal. Three of my friends flew out from PA to visit me. The one that’s riding Duke is my lifelong BFF/horseback riding buddy.

4E8926C2-B0E8-49A8-93C7-DCC9A47DE807.jpg

What was so special about her riding Duke, was that this was her first ride after a serious fall off of her horse 15 years prior that resulted in a concussion and memory loss for a short time.

Duke was a big motored horse but he was a kind hearted horse. He remembered my friend and she evidently had the faith of Job to get on him without a saddle and without a helmet, which none of us wore helmets.

Those potato fields are now shoulder-to-shoulder houses. They were building them as I was leaving California to come to Tennessee. I am so glad I’m out of there—-

We rode every day they were in California. Duke took such great care of her that she went gaited horse hunting as soon as she flew back home and has only recently given up riding because of her knees, which breaks my heart.

We rode 5 to 8 miles every day across the state highway and through the rock Hills in the potato fields, as opposed to over the river and through the Woods like we do back here east of the Mississippi LOL.

We stopped at the old timey store with the hitching rail, to get something to drink. The guy was playing his guitar, and it was almost like stepping back into time.

This was February, 1999, so Duke was a long 11-year-old and Rusty was coming five years old; boy that’s also hard to believe.

845903A5-B6D0-4A21-9A82-7B5DEAFD5208.jpg

The big rock hills in the first picture are where this picture was taken of Duke, at a later point in time. I was following a foot path when we suddenly came to a dead end — surprise surprise there was at least 100 foot drop off at that dead end. Holy moly talk about a shock LOL LOL.

I didn’t want to waste such a pretty view so I took the picture and then I had to back Duke about 50 feet back the trail because there was no place for him to turn around. That was my first of many experiences of riding into rock hills on trails with nowhere to turn around and they came to a dead end-over a cliff LOL

The police also found a dead body in those rock hill shortly after I move there LOL LOL. It didn’t take me long to find out there was a lot of drug dealing going on in those rock hills. I always carried a gun with me.
29127839-81AD-4A9B-8F4F-C810BB03EEF4.jpg
RegalCharm, Celeste, boots and 5 others like this.

A Good Horseman Doesn't Have To Tell Anyone; The Horse Already Knows.

I CAN'T ride 'em n slide 'em. I HAVE to lead 'em n feed 'em Thnx cowchick77.
walkinthewalk is online now  
post #4624 of 4748 Old 12-23-2019, 02:27 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 78
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeedlady View Post
A warm spell here in Ohio has made for some great December rides.
almost 50 today and sunny. The same predicted for tomorrow. I'm making up for the riding time I lost while I was UP North all summer.

First Solo ride with Tucker today!!! I love to ride alone, so getting my horses comfortable with just me is important. He did well for his first time, particularly because he HATES being without a horse friend at all times.

My brother and his wife hosted a Christmas party this evening. So much food, I actually had to turn down dessert!!! I just couldn't do it. I don't celebrate Christmas, so the remainder of the season will be an easy peaceful time for me.

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday, however you celebrate. Blessed Be.
I didn't celebrate any holiday or Valentines Day, UNTIL I met my wife 20 years ago. Then, that changed and I'm very glad it did. We love decorating inside and out for Christmas.

Since I no longer have any horses, we are looking very forward to late Spring and the start of Summer to get our boat on the lake.
RegalCharm, Celeste, boots and 2 others like this.
post #4625 of 4748 Old 12-23-2019, 09:07 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ohio and Michigan's U.P.
Posts: 168
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by george the mule View Post
I'm not a Christian, and so don't really celebrate it as such, tho I do enjoy the holiday season. However were I a Christian, I would be appalled at the level of commercialization involved. Heck; I'm appalled anyway, it's simply disgusting My $.02.
^^^^^ditto^^^^^^^^

@walkinthewalk I love seeing your pictures!
To answer your question re: getting moved UP North. In the spring. We will go as soon as the snow melts. We will break ground for the house as soon as the ground thaws, I guess. UP North, that could be June.
I'm leaning toward having Raven and Tucker shipped rather than hauling myself (12 hours is too long for me to be pulling my most precious friends- I would be too nervous). I'll have them brought UP as soon as we get the fencing up.

The realization that I won't be in Ohio next summer, or fall, or winter is really starting to set in. My roots here are deep, and I will be leaving behind a lot of history and many friends and memories.
I'm also realizing that there are so many places to ride here that are still on my bucket list and I will probably not get them done.
@walkinthewalk 's favorite Beaver Creek is one of those in particular. Ah well, I've got an UP North bucket list to get started on.
weeedlady is offline  
post #4626 of 4748 Old 12-23-2019, 09:36 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 8,581
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeedlady View Post
^^^

The realization that I won't be in Ohio next summer, or fall, or winter is really starting to set in. My roots here are deep, and I will be leaving behind a lot of history and many friends and memories.
I'm also realizing that there are so many places to ride here that are still on my bucket list and I will probably not get them done.

@walkinthewalk 's favorite Beaver Creek is one of those in particular. Ah well, I've got an UP North bucket list to get started on.
I get what you are saying. I left the OH/PA border in 1998, having lived the first 51 years of my life there. I moved to SoCal by myself, not knowing a soul. It was tough but made easier to “not look back” because I had lost my son and only child in an accident and my job of 17 years within a few years of each other.

Being on my own, I had to focus on the present, instead of dwelling on the past — except those times my trouble-making friends and riding buds came to visit

I moved my three horses myself, both times but it honestly is not something I recommend to a newer driver — especially in this day and age of texting & talking car drivers who think the rest of the world should watch out for them.

You will make new riding friends and best of all — as long as you have internet access you will always have this forum and the K&K Bunch!
RegalCharm, Celeste, boots and 4 others like this.

A Good Horseman Doesn't Have To Tell Anyone; The Horse Already Knows.

I CAN'T ride 'em n slide 'em. I HAVE to lead 'em n feed 'em Thnx cowchick77.
walkinthewalk is online now  
post #4627 of 4748 Old 12-24-2019, 02:25 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 78
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by george the mule View Post
Hi Weed
Well Tucker _had_ a friend along for comfort and emotional support then, didn't he? Good Job.
I'm not a Christian, and so don't really celebrate it as such, tho I do enjoy the holiday season. However were I a Christian, I would be appalled at the level of commercialization involved. Heck; I'm appalled anyway, it's simply disgusting My $.02.



Walk, no hay yet; it will wait until after the new year when things calm down a bit, but the chore is a lot easier when the ground is dry. I have to rework the paddock as well, and there is a ton (probably literally) of poop that needs to be managed; I noticed yesterday that it was beginning to thaw out, and it is worse than futile to try and deal with it when it is frozen to the ground. Probably I will pick the high-profile areas, and drag the wire harrow around to break-up and redistribute the rest.
The "new" Subaru is an old Impreza wagon. The kid I got it from ($300) had already put some work into the suspension, and I will concentrate on completing the "racing" setup. It needs a new clutch to be drivable, I have a different engine I want to install, and I will put DOT type "R" tires on it. And one door doesn't match; I guess I will get out the spray paint and masking tape.
It will remain "street legal" as this is nominally required for the class I intend to run, but with the very stiff ride, nervous alignment specs, and the slick racing tires, it won't be very comfortable to drive, or even safe on anything other than dry pavement. As you say; right on the edge "Boys and their Toys."
Wife and I are both Christians and this "commercialization" of Christmas doesn't bother us at all. Basically because it's gone on for years upon years. Heck, we use to go out in the middle of the night of Black Friday and shop. Go to be early, get up at midnight, go shopping, go back to bed at 1:30AM and get back up again at 3AM to do more shopping. Had to stand in lines, but got some terrific buys. However, don't do that anymore due to older age and cold here. We did this "night shopping" when we lived in Florida. Crowds don't bother us, so, if need be, we will go out on Black Friday for something.

There are different things that go on today, the way people talk, look and so forth that we don't like, but can do nothing about.
RegalCharm, Celeste, boots and 1 others like this.
post #4628 of 4748 Old 12-25-2019, 09:14 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Georgia USA
Posts: 8,194
• Horses: 1
Merry Christmas!

I hope everyone is having a great holiday. Some of you say that you are not Christian and don't celebrate Christmas. That is ok; do what you want to do. But you have to love having friends and family and food and presents.

We don't put up a tree any more simply because our cats immediately climb it and knock down all the decorations. If the youngest one ever grows up, we may put one up again.

We had a great day with our grown kids today. My DH and I don't buy each other presents. We buy our own. That way we get what we like.

Celebrate what you like. Celebrate life. Love. Peace. Joy. For me, I'll say Merry Christmas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christmas picture.JPG (141.7 KB, 0 views)

Celeste
Carpe Diem!
Celeste is offline  
post #4629 of 4748 Old 12-26-2019, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: A good place
Posts: 8,245
• Horses: 0
My Christmas turned out "different." One of my kids works for a polo family. She works at their business and is taking care of their place while they are out of town.

We (as a family) have a lot of relatives coming to town, and her bosses are returning a week or so early. So, today was the only day she had to tidy up some things (2 barns and a house). And I volunteered to help. And she got called in to her other job with them.

We had fun.


cleaning the stable 12-2019.jpg

This donkey loves scritches at the base of his tail. He's very friendly.

donkey on Christmas.jpg
boots is offline  
post #4630 of 4748 Old 12-27-2019, 11:36 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Nueva Vizcaya, Philippines
Posts: 2,194
• Horses: 1
Passing through to check in again. Been traveling this holiday season. The US for Thanksgiving, home to the Philippines for Christmas, now off to Japan to spend New Years with our son and his family.

A few pics from our Christmas at Inner Earth, our ranch.

Lots of guests, plenty of food, traditional dance, gift exchange, and campfire songs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D6FA6C83-D532-4E94-8295-371AA637F7CE_1577460860277.jpg (119.6 KB, 3 views)
Cordillera Cowboy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<span class="threadTitle">Snuggles, Blankets & Fuzzy sock addict</span> Skyseternalangel General Off Topic Discussion 8 09-14-2015 01:05 AM
<span class="threadTitle">3 year old & horses Safety ?'s</span> Samson5261 Horse Talk 23 06-23-2015 12:06 PM
<span class="threadTitle">basic basics. green ottb & out of shape rider</span> FalKoLilMurph Horse Training 3 01-31-2015 03:15 PM
<SPAN class=threadTitle>Somehorse beat up my dear, sweet Ricci. >_<</SPAN> riccil0ve Horse Health 3 11-10-2012 07:41 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome