Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Some times Llanelian - North wales, sometimes Hull in East Yorkshire (UK)
A little Lenny and I update
I havnt posted about Lenny and I since June.
Unfortunately we have been to hell and back since our wonderful time at Derbyshire festival of showing.
After the festival Lenny went very lame behind, I gave him a week off to see if it was just a strain. Unfortunately towards the end of that week I ended up in hospital and unable to walk, I litteraly just woke up screaming in pain one morning and unable to weight bare on one hip, so Lenny was looked after for 2 weeks by my yard owner, by which I mean he was turned away, fed and checked but nothing else.
Doctors discovered I have torn my right hip flexor tendon and have arthritis in both hips (at the grand old age of 29) so I am undergoing some rather serious Physio and rehab work
As soon as I could hobble to the yard I did, Lenny was less lame but still lame. I arranged to take him to the vet hospital for a full workup. Driving the lorry for an hour to get him there was agony.
Lenny was seen by the best veg in the north of England who was extremely worried by the fact I couldn't pick up either hind foot, that he would not bend through his mid section and was bilaterally lame behind but more so on the off hind.
Lenny was nerve blocked but they found nothing. So he was admitted to the hospital and bone scanned. What they found on the bonescan was devastating.
Lenny was riddled with arthritis, he is only6 yrs old.
He has now had his spine injected with cortico steroids in 5 places, both hocks injected, and both front pasturns. He has had maximum dose Tilden administers via Iv. He was sent home with metacam, strict instructions to get his she's off, turn him away for 3 months in a small paddock with a companion and pray!
The deciding factor would be getting him to the stage of being able to pick up his hind feet for a farrier, if we couldn't get him to that stage then he would have to be pts.
Well within a week of him being home I could get both hind feet off the floor if I kept them low.
A week later and I could get both up to normal height and the farrier managed to get his shoes off and feet trimmed, it took a lot of patience and time but he managed.
At the 4 week stage I phoned the vet as there was an error with the metacam they had dropped off for me that day, I spoke to my vet to clarify dosage and discuss length of time he would need to be on the metacam, the vet asked how he was doing and was extremely shocked to hear the rapid progress made. He had been extremely worried and had thought we may just be delaying the inevitable. He was over the moon and suggested that once we finished the current bottle of metacam that we discontinue it and see how he coped.
I'm now 6 weeks in and Lenny whilst not completely sound is much much better both hind feet can be picked up and he looks good in himself. He has been off the metacam for over a week now and there had been no change in his soundness level or his ability to pick up his feet.
So please keep your fingers crossed for the next 6 weeks.
If he continues to improve we are going to try ptp therapy in both hocks and he may have an operation that is. Similar to a kissing spines operation to prevent the spiney processes from touching except the y will be removing the arthritic bone changes and resurfacing the spine
Posted via Mobile Device