Warning, this will be a long post!
I have posted on here several times about my horse in the past, but I just need advice from other horse people on what to do with him. Here's the story...Tuni got an ethmoid hematoma shortly after I bought him. I have a vet in the area who learned how do perform formalin injections to it in order to destroy it and it was gone in about 4 injections. We recently found a second one that we had missed before (thinking there was only one we were originally dealing with) and started injecting that one. We noticed though that he wasn't breathing out of the oposite nostril anymore and when she scoped it, there was inflammed tissue blocking it that she couldn't get through. Her concerns are that it's something more aggressive going on in his sinuses and wants me to take him to Cornell (about a 3 hour drive) for a CAT scan ($1200) and probable sinus surgery ($2500-$3000). I'm fighting with the decision of whether or not to do this.
I'm not riding him anymore and he's not bothered by it at all so it's not a decision I need to rush into, but I also don't want to wait too long to decide. I am getting xrays taken next week to factor out an object being stuck in his nose and I'm going to get him re-scoped eventually (my vets scope broke and is out getting fixed right now) before I make any decisions about Cornell. **Also note, the hematomas are more then likely separate from whatever is blocking his nostril. The fact that they typically come back throughout the horses life isn't a big concern for me. The injections aren't that expensive so I'm considering them as any other type of routine maintenence. It's spending roughly $4200 (more then I spent buying him) to get all this work done that I don't even know will solve everything that I can't decide on. Obviously, if a CT scan showed something that surgery wouldn't solve indefinately, I wouldn't go through with the surgery.
The thing is that I had a mare right before him that I had to give up because she came up lame. I spent months trying to figure out why and trying to help her and none of the vets I went to could give me an answer. If I get rid of him, emotionally, I could not handle getting another horse and having something happen to that one (because I'm really feeling like the world is against me being happy with a horse) so if I give up on him I'm not getting another one. I have not had him for very long (almost a year) but I really love riding him and spending time with him. I still get butterflies when I think about going to see him and that's the feeling you want with a horse right?! I rode another horse the other day and had a fantastic ride on him...then I got on Tuni bareback and just walked around a bit and all I could think was how much better it was and how much I wish I could be riding him instead. He's got tons a potential that I see and he's just a fun ride in general even when he's being bad :P . SO a huge part of me says he's worth it and I want to do it! Then the other part of me says I'm being silly spending so much on a horse I haven't even had that long and maybe I'm just being naive. The other difficult part of it all is that it's very unlikely that'd I'd be able to find a new home for him knowing he needs as much money put into him as he does, therefore, the other option is putting him down
It's hard talking to non horse people about it because to them it's crazy to even consider it. They don't get the connection we get with some of these horses so I wanted to post here just to see what kind of opinions you guys have.
Here's some pictures to put a face to the name! He's so cute! FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_0939.jpg unnamed2.jpg IMG_0842.jpg