Need help with estimating expenses :) - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 04-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,860
• Horses: 3
You should not need that many blankets to me. If barn is heated, and horses go out to play? Turnout. If barn unheated, let horse coat up and let it be.

If you aren't showing? No need for them in most cases.

And you also need to see, if you decide you can't live without blankets, is blanketing included in full board. In many barns? It is extra.

Horses make me a better person.
Palomine is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 04-14-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 29
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palomine View Post
You should not need that many blankets to me. If barn is heated, and horses go out to play? Turnout. If barn unheated, let horse coat up and let it be.

If you aren't showing? No need for them in most cases.

And you also need to see, if you decide you can't live without blankets, is blanketing included in full board. In many barns? It is extra.
I guess I feel like having extra is worth it. Our winters can be very strange up here, and most horses do use all of their blankets during the winter. And I'd feel much better having extra, in case one gets trashed.
Blanketing is very often included in my area,
and is included in the place I'm looking at, flyspraying in the summer too :)

The fact that full care at this barn is $400 makes me nervous. The average around me is around $1,000. I haven't gone to see the barn (still not close enough to actually getting a horse) but I'm scared that I'm going to go and see a broken down, dangerous place for this price!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
catheetiem is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 04-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Georgia USA
Posts: 8,230
• Horses: 1
I am amazed that you are actually realistic about expenses. It sounds like you are off to a good start!
OliviaMyee likes this.

Celeste
Carpe Diem!
Celeste is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 04-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,512
• Horses: 0
20 dollars is very low for a bridle, you *might* get a nylon for that cost. 20 dollars is what you'd typically pay for a basic bit, a cheap headstall will be around $50 for cheap Indian leather, and $80+ for a more quality headstall
Posted via Mobile Device
GamingGrrl is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 04-14-2013, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 29
• Horses: 0
Thank you, Celeste!

Gaminggrrl, this is the bridle I was looking at:
Economy Raised Snaffle Bridle with Reins - Horse.com
22 bucks, and I'm not expecting crazy quality or anything, but the reviews are good. I did forget about the bit though xD
catheetiem is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 04-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 4,370
• Horses: 4
Find the tack you like that have great reviews then make Ebay your friend for the best deals...

I was also concerned when you say you already have a saddle. You need to factor in the possibility of having to trade/sell with money to get a different one that fits the horse you end the search with.

You have a great start to your factors, but should realize they almost never follow your list.

Good luck and enjoy the experience.

I am Second
Born Once, Die Twice. Born Twice, Die Once.
Roadyy is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 29
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadyy View Post
Find the tack you like that have great reviews then make Ebay your friend for the best deals...

I was also concerned when you say you already have a saddle. You need to factor in the possibility of having to trade/sell with money to get a different one that fits the horse you end the search with.

You have a great start to your factors, but should realize they almost never follow your list.

Good luck and enjoy the experience.
Oh yeah, I already know that, just figured I didn't need to post it, but you guys don't know me, so how would you know xD
My saddle has fit almost every horse I've ridden in the past 5 years, so I'm hopeful it will work, but if not, it was really expensive and in great condition so I would just sell it and buy one that fits haha
Posted via Mobile Device
catheetiem is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 04-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,402
• Horses: 1
The PPE and shipping may change depending on where you shop at. If you're not buying local you should also factor in the costs to go where the horse is and you really should have a very experienced horse person with you, which means you'll have to compensate them for their time.

You can't depend on the insurance plan. It's very very easy to wrack up a huge vet bill, insurance or not. It's also really easy to stay below the deductible repeatedly. A horse could easily have multiple sub $500 vet bills in a short period.

Some barns require an extra month's board in advance as a security deposit.

The horse may also end up not being as advertised/presented in training so you may end up needing a trainer. I don't know your level of experience but its possible that what needs fixed is beyond your ability. Lots of people who don't show have trainers.

The horse may also need a chiropractor once or twice a year. I've seen chiropractor visits costing a couple hundred dollars per visit.

Sometimes horses require frequent shoeing or special shoes. I know a couple OTTBs with such awful feet they need to be done every 3 weeks or else they rip shoes off. They need shoes on all fours.
Posted via Mobile Device
DancingArabian is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 04-15-2013, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 29
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
The PPE and shipping may change depending on where you shop at. If you're not buying local you should also factor in the costs to go where the horse is and you really should have a very experienced horse person with you, which means you'll have to compensate them for their time.

You can't depend on the insurance plan. It's very very easy to wrack up a huge vet bill, insurance or not. It's also really easy to stay below the deductible repeatedly. A horse could easily have multiple sub $500 vet bills in a short period.

Some barns require an extra month's board in advance as a security deposit.

The horse may also end up not being as advertised/presented in training so you may end up needing a trainer. I don't know your level of experience but its possible that what needs fixed is beyond your ability. Lots of people who don't show have trainers.

The horse may also need a chiropractor once or twice a year. I've seen chiropractor visits costing a couple hundred dollars per visit.

Sometimes horses require frequent shoeing or special shoes. I know a couple OTTBs with such awful feet they need to be done every 3 weeks or else they rip shoes off. They need shoes on all fours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, you've given me a lot to think about!
Most training snags I can handle myself, but, I said in an earlier post, any issues that require a trainer I would be paying for with my personal money. Luckily I'm a college student, and still live at home, so almost all of my income is free to be spent on whatever I like.

How much do you figure for an emergency vet fund? I planned on $1,000. The insurance I would be using has a $300 deductible, so $1,000 would get me a few visits. And, I should have mentioned this earlier, its not like I'm going to get to $1,000 and stop, I would like to have that much in the bank when I first purchase the horse, but would continue adding money in over time. Does $1,000 seem like to little too start off with?

And I'd stay away from horses like that, really only looking for easy keepers, I don't need any extra expense haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by catheetiem; 04-15-2013 at 12:28 PM.
catheetiem is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Estimating Mature Height DancingFoxie Horse Breeding 0 05-10-2011 03:25 PM
Estimating adult height of a yearling? WhoaMare Horse Talk 5 03-18-2011 09:28 PM
Monthly Expenses HorseFanatic Horse Talk 7 02-24-2011 04:27 PM
estimating the mature height of a Welsh/American Warmblood colt 2horses Horse Breeds 9 12-03-2009 11:34 PM
training expenses avlangston Horse Training 7 09-02-2008 09:13 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome