Odd Situation, Kind of Funny... Similar Experiences? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 07-22-2013, 01:35 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,852
• Horses: 9
My kind of "rule of thumb" is $1500 or under, I'll just buy the horse and cross my fingers. I've bought on line, pretty much off a picture and a video from a well known and reputable seller, and had the horse shipped. Got SUPER lucky on that one, she was better in person than she was on video and pics. Went to an auction to look, got to watching this little stallion and his ancient owner go up on the stage. No one was bidding on him, I held up my paddle and BOOM, I was the proud new owner of a shrimpy, scrawny stallion who just had SOMETHING. Gelded him, fed him up, rode him out on a couple trail rides and in a Christmas parade....One of the best horses I've ever had. Made an obscene amount of money on that little guy when I sold him. LOL! My husband asked why I bought that poor, starved, little shrimp of a stallion. The day I sold him he told me to find another one. It's not that easy, at least, not when you're looking!

Here's Miss Peppermint Patti, my absolute heart horse:



Everyone who comes here wants to buy this mare. They don't understand that there's not enough $$$$ in JP Morgan Chase Bank to buy this mare.

Here's Marq the Scrawny Stallion:


Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #22 of 31 Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 9,470
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftingShadow View Post
A paint advertised as a TB? And you drove 3 hours for that?! I would have been HOT.
I flipped out. I was hustling to get there and back in time for the kids, so I really freaked. She had the nerve to friend request me on FB afterwards. At first I thought it was another horse coming out, to make way for the TB to be brought out - but then Dobbin kept getting closer. I turned and asked if this was the horse I had come to see?


If someone upsets me, they hear it, and it's very clear - she heard it, and then had the nerve to friend request me. I'd guess that she has some sort of mental disorder.

I was livid.
AlexS is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 07-22-2013, 01:37 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 9,470
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
My kind of "rule of thumb" is $1500 or under, I'll just buy the horse and cross my fingers.
That very much depends on your income level. I don't have that level of income, and so all of my horses have been $2k and under. I still do a PPE, as I can't afford to lose that amount.

It just depends on your budget.
AlexS is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 07-22-2013, 01:40 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,852
• Horses: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
That very much depends on your income level. I don't have that level of income, and so all of my horses have been $2k and under. I still do a PPE, as I can't afford to lose that amount.

It just depends on your budget.
To do a thorough PPE with radiographs and blood work will cost me close to the $1500. I figure I've been at it long enough to find close to 90% of the things that would make me walk away, without the vet. Once we start looking at more than $1500, I start getting a PPE, unless it's a very young foal or filly.
AlexS likes this.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 07-22-2013, 01:41 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: california
Posts: 5,769
• Horses: 0
cash talks. If you had a signed contract and had given a deposit then they would be 100% at fault. It would be frustrating and disappointing to have that happen , and they probably should have had the courtesy to phone and say, if you want the horse you need to get me the money, as I have buyer in hand.
stevenson is offline  
post #26 of 31 Old 07-22-2013, 01:45 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 810
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
I flipped out. I was hustling to get there and back in time for the kids, so I really freaked. She had the nerve to friend request me on FB afterwards. At first I thought it was another horse coming out, to make way for the TB to be brought out - but then Dobbin kept getting closer. I turned and asked if this was the horse I had come to see?


If someone upsets me, they hear it, and it's very clear - she heard it, and then had the nerve to friend request me. I'd guess that she has some sort of mental disorder.

I was livid.
I can imagine! That is absolutely ridiculous. I am thunderstruck just reading about it.

Reminds me though, the horse I looked at before new guy was a real "what the heck" moment. Saw an ad for a horse claiming he had been in eventing training, etc. 5 year old 16.3 TB. So I drive to Tuscaloosa, Alabama (about 2 hours from where I am) to see him. The girl who meets us is his owner and explains that he was too green/young for her because he is 5 and she is 13. Okay. They had said that in their emails. No alarm bells ringing yet.

Well she leads us through their barn to this paddock in the back and we see the horse. Im thinking shes going to go get him and bring him up to show us how well he leads, grooms, tacks up, etc. You know, the usual. Ohhh no. So we stand at the fence for a few minutes until I am like "Um. Can I see someone ride him? And then I will try him out?" The girl lets out this HUGE sigh and says something about "having to catch him".

Turns out it took an army to catch this horse, and that his "Eventing" training was they had set up jumps for him to go over as they chased him around the paddock trying to catch him. They were asking 3,500 for him. I promptly turned around and left!

The horse before that was a 16.1 quarter horse. Drifter is 16.1 and he is way taller than me, so I know what 16.1 looks like. Went to see the horse and I could see over him at the withers. I was like And passed on the pony

Last edited by DriftingShadow; 07-22-2013 at 01:46 AM. Reason: typo
DriftingShadow is offline  
post #27 of 31 Old 07-22-2013, 01:48 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,852
• Horses: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftingShadow View Post
I can imagine! That is absolutely ridiculous. I am thunderstruck just reading about it.

Reminds me though, the horse I looked at before new guy was a real "what the heck" moment. Saw an ad for a horse claiming he had been in eventing training, etc. 5 year old 16.3 TB. So I drive to Tuscaloosa, Alabama (about 2 hours from where I am) to see him. The girl who meets us is his owner and explains that he was too green/young for her because he is 5 and she is 13. Okay. They had said that in their emails. No alarm bells ringing yet.

Well she leads us through their barn to this paddock in the back and we see the horse. Im thinking shes going to go get him and bring him up to show us how well he leads, grooms, tacks up, etc. You know, the usual. Ohhh no. So we stand at the fence for a few minutes until I am like "Um. Can I see someone ride him? And then I will try him out?" The girl lets out this HUGE sigh and says something about "having to catch him".

Turns out it took an army to catch this horse, and that his "Eventing" training was they had set up jumps for him to go over as they chased him around the paddock trying to catch him. They were asking 3,500 for him. I promptly turned around and left!

The horse before that was a 16.1 quarter horse. Drifter is 16.1 and he is way taller than me, so I know what 16.1 looks like. Went to see the horse and I could see over him at the withers. I was like And passed on the pony

ROFL! I automatically take an entire hand off when reading Arab ads. They all say they're 15.1 or 2 HH and when you get there, if you're REALLLLLY lucky, they're 14.2 on a long day.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 07-22-2013, 01:54 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 810
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
ROFL! I automatically take an entire hand off when reading Arab ads. They all say they're 15.1 or 2 HH and when you get there, if you're REALLLLLY lucky, they're 14.2 on a long day.
I emailed one seller about the height of their horse and they responded with "which height would you like? We sticked him and he was 15.2 at the withers and 16.2 at the butt"

WHAT?!?!?!? I didnt even respond to that email because 1. I wasnt sure if it was serious and maybe they just didnt know what they were talking about and 2. I honestly dont even want to imagne a horse a whole hand downhill :-
DriftingShadow is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 07-22-2013, 02:50 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeastern PA
Posts: 9,470
• Horses: 1
Oh Drifting, it would be very funny if we hadn't wasted our personal time going to see the horse.


I did have photos of the horse I went to see, but I must have deleted them - wish I had kept them now to show you. Paint wide QH type, as opposed to bay TB as advertised.
AlexS is offline  
post #30 of 31 Old 07-22-2013, 07:03 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,446
• Horses: 1
In a perfect world, they should have phoned you and told you that someone else had offered to buy him, for cash, now. But so it goes.

We were accidentally at the other end of that situation once. We were looking at a mare who was at a sales livery barn. There was another family interested in the mare who had gone as far as PPE-ing her. Then we were told by the seller that the family's circumstances had changed and they were no longer interested in the horse. So we ended up buying her. Shortly thereafter, it emerged that not long after the PPE, the other potential buyers had a death in their family and had gone out of town. In the midst of all that, they had not been in touch with the sales barn regarding what they wanted to do with the horse and apparently they had not been told that someone else (us) was interested in her. When they got back from their funeral stuff, the horse was sold!

We felt a bit bad. Had the seller told us that the other buyers had not yet made a decision (instead of saying that they had decided to not buy the horse when in fact they hadn't been in touch with her about it at all), we probably would have waited, since they were the first to look at the horse. As it turned out, they had wanted the horse, so we would have had to continue our horse hunt. It was our first horse and our introduction to the wheeling and dealing of horse sales.

Last edited by thesilverspear; 07-22-2013 at 07:08 AM.
thesilverspear is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Odd kind of bit? LikeaTB Horse Tack and Equipment 7 02-14-2013 07:00 AM
Dog Experiences! long story but some funny parts Royal Pine Buck Horse Talk 2 02-12-2012 06:14 PM
Have you ever been in this kind of situation? aliloveshorses09 Horse Pictures 15 08-03-2011 12:46 AM
Odd trail experiences! mom2pride Trail Riding 63 01-31-2011 10:20 PM
Odd hoof situation *pics* NorthernMama Hoof Care 19 09-07-2009 02:54 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome