Opinions on Horse Slaughter? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 61Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 Old 05-14-2015, 06:49 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: TN
Posts: 493
• Horses: 1
I did do some googling on horses bred for meat and apparently it is a thing, especially in Europe. Here is a site with breeds of horses commonly raised for meat Horsemeat - link list to related topics
MaximasMommy is offline  
post #22 of 43 Old 05-14-2015, 07:04 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Idaho
Posts: 3,576
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximasMommy View Post
I did do some googling on horses bred for meat and apparently it is a thing, especially in Europe. Here is a site with breeds of horses commonly raised for meat Horsemeat - link list to related topics
There is also a demand for horse meat in Europe, not so much in the US so the price per pound in the US would be lower. Supply and demand drive prices
SunnyDraco is offline  
post #23 of 43 Old 05-14-2015, 07:40 PM
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Olds Alberta Canada
Posts: 12,041
• Horses: 0
Yes, this thread is old, and has been hashed to death.
I will give my opinion, once more, hopefully, without being long winded.
Unless you stop breeding horses beyond the 'supply and demand', there will be excess horses.
I agree with Cheri's point that not all excess unwanted horses are due to over breeding, but disagree strongly that over breeding is not a big factor
In horse industries, esp, where horses are bred towards a certain goal, with that horse business operated as a business, you are going to have many culls The racing industry is certainly a prime example-horses that don't win, produce money, need to find a new job, or the option of slaughter remains, unlike many 'family ' raise horses, where that horse has a home for life, whether he is useful or not, and certainly not because he generates money, as many of those older horses have expensive medical issues, where any business would cut their loss by 'disposing of those horses, through any option available
The PMU industry was also a great example of horses being bred, as a 'by product', where urine quota drove the breeding, and not demand of those offspring
Certainly, there are horses that do not 'deserve to be rescued.
I, and many others would rather put a faithful horse down, then send him to slaughter, squeezing every last dollar out of that horse, who served me well
At the same time, if slaughter is the only option, besides neglect and starvation, then far better for that owner to at least give his faithful companion that end.
I disagree that only unless horses go through that auction ring, bound for slaughter, and not countless numbers, due to irresponsible breeding
Many people breed a mare, because they never get around to training her, and afterall, she does have a uterus, and it would be 'so cute, to have a foal
Or, why not have that long yearling stud, running with those fillies, as that is ;'cheaper' then gelding him, or praticing responsible horse ownership
That 'cute baby', bred for nothing in particular, grows up. Reality set in. those owners can;t train him, and to send him out for training, would cost more than what he would sell for.
Big solution-cut your loss and have that horse driven through that auction ring, esp if he has been porking up good , on free choice rich pasture-meat buyers love such a horse. Those horses are not crippled, not really bad minded or old. They are just the result of irresponsible breeding. I see it all the time, at the local all breed horse sale
Yes, we need slaughter option for horses.
Any lobbying should be done for humane transport and slaughter
Close the slaughter option in the US or Canada, and you condemn many of those horses to a worse fate then death.
Trucked long distance to Mexico, where once they cross that boarder, no regulations in trucking apply, and the slaughter itself is also not inspected, with horses often stabbed many times, still alive when hung on the assembly line meat hooks
Others are left to neglect and starvation, in some pen or back pasture
Theer is a reason the veterinary profession supports slaughter of horses, as there are worse fates than death, and if you don't control the ;rate of flow at the taps, then you can't just plug the other end, but need a place for the over flow"
stevenson and SunnyDraco like this.
Smilie is offline  
post #24 of 43 Old 05-14-2015, 07:46 PM
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Olds Alberta Canada
Posts: 12,041
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDraco View Post
There is also a demand for horse meat in Europe, not so much in the US so the price per pound in the US would be lower. Supply and demand drive prices
There is a feed lot , down form where my son lives, where horses are bred specifically for meat, sent live to Japan
Smilie is offline  
post #25 of 43 Old 05-14-2015, 08:08 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Idaho
Posts: 3,576
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilie View Post
There is a feed lot , down form where my son lives, where horses are bred specifically for meat, sent live to Japan
Because their market pays enough to make it worthwhile if you have the right connections, buyer in Japan and transporter to get them there with regular deliveries across the ocean. The US market for horse meat for human consumption is very low at this point.

There are other uses for horse meat that doesn't involve human consumption. There is a large exotic cat facility in Washington state that takes donated horses to feed their cats, catch is, the horse must be alive when brought to them. Then they will kill it on their property, which is terrifying to the horses as their nostrils are filled with the smells of the large predators before they die but this ensures that they were not euthanized with deadly drugs. My favorite horse went to a mink farmer for meat after she was instantly killed by a lightning strike.
SunnyDraco is offline  
post #26 of 43 Old 05-15-2015, 12:46 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,669
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDraco View Post
Because their market pays enough to make it worthwhile if you have the right connections, buyer in Japan and transporter to get them there with regular deliveries across the ocean. The US market for horse meat for human consumption is very low at this point.

There are other uses for horse meat that doesn't involve human consumption. There is a large exotic cat facility in Washington state that takes donated horses to feed their cats, catch is, the horse must be alive when brought to them. Then they will kill it on their property, which is terrifying to the horses as their nostrils are filled with the smells of the large predators before they die but this ensures that they were not euthanized with deadly drugs. My favorite horse went to a mink farmer for meat after she was instantly killed by a lightning strike.
I wish there were more opportunities for people to do something like this! It's really a win win for all! A zoo (or something of the sort) gets low cost meat, it's not a financial blow for the owner, the horse gets a speedy death and its environmentally friendly!!
Posted via Mobile Device
SlideStop is offline  
post #27 of 43 Old 05-15-2015, 01:33 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 253
• Horses: 2
Slaughter is wrong. The way it is done, the conditions the horses are in during their last moments, it's disgusting. That's just the facts. There are no scratches and consolations from the doggers before they look the other way and make it quick. It isn't quick, it isn't respectful.
However, I do not have a problem with the humane euthanasia of terminally ill and/or chronically pained horses. The ones that really have no hope. Maybe instead of stopping it at the end of the line, we should stop it at the beginning.
Like, all broodmares and studs need to pass several conformation, health, and attitude tests before being cleared for breeding. And breeders should be required to have a license. Unlawful breeding will be punished with 2 years in prison, or a hefty fine.
Problem solved.

c'est la vie
aclassicalpaint is offline  
post #28 of 43 Old 05-15-2015, 01:53 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 6,161
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclassicalpaint View Post
Slaughter is wrong. The way it is done, the conditions the horses are in during their last moments, it's disgusting. That's just the facts. There are no scratches and consolations from the doggers before they look the other way and make it quick. It isn't quick, it isn't respectful.
However, I do not have a problem with the humane euthanasia of terminally ill and/or chronically pained horses. The ones that really have no hope. Maybe instead of stopping it at the end of the line, we should stop it at the beginning.
Like, all broodmares and studs need to pass several conformation, health, and attitude tests before being cleared for breeding. And breeders should be required to have a license. Unlawful breeding will be punished with 2 years in prison, or a hefty fine.
Problem solved.
The main problem with that plan is the best person breeding the best horses may not always be the case. I wouldn't want to be forced to buy something that wasn't up to snuff just because the person could afford the license. Who would decide what is ideal? What I like in a horse is not what someone else may like. A license also implies Government involvement & that is a sure way to mess things up.

People should have the right to decide what to do with their own animals.
However, I would like to see 2 year prison sentences for abuse or neglect, especially hoarders.
natisha is offline  
post #29 of 43 Old 05-15-2015, 02:30 AM
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Olds Alberta Canada
Posts: 12,041
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideStop View Post
I wish there were more opportunities for people to do something like this! It's really a win win for all! A zoo (or something of the sort) gets low cost meat, it's not a financial blow for the owner, the horse gets a speedy death and its environmentally friendly!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Really?
Fine if you wish to donate a dead horse, even though I am not sure how that works in the day and age of BSE, but to subject ahorse that you cared for, that served you faithfully, to the terror of being killed in a place strange to him, fileld with the scent of predators-NO THANK YOU!
My horses that i have loved, get to die at home, and I really don't care about the justification, food chain or re cycling-it is an emotional decision for me, and I make no excuse. Zoos should all be closed to begin with.
Smilie is offline  
post #30 of 43 Old 05-15-2015, 02:33 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: california
Posts: 5,769
• Horses: 0
I have pmu horses. One mare was put down as she was dangerous and not going back through the auctions or to the kill buyer. My personal preference. I have had other older horses put down, and do not like the fact that the carcass is toxic from the drug but nothing I can do about that, and no , I am not letting someone shoot them in the head, just because if they miss the kill spot.
against - because of the medications and drugs given to most horses that specifically state not for use in animals intended for slaughter.
The way the animals are treated not all the slaughter houses are 'humane'.
Pro- its better to die a fast death at slaughter than a slow death being abused .

People use horses up , leave them crippled, make them mean , breed ugly ill tempered animals .

There is over breeding , look at all the pmu and nurse mare foals, Go to any auction in any town and the big time horse sales. Go look at all the online sites for horses for sale.

People want top dollar for their horses, and if they cannot get it in a private sell, they will try the auctions.

How to stop some of the Kill buyers, private sell, but then you have the horse traders who will in turn take a horse to auction.

If you do not want the chance of your horse going to a kill buyer or a bad abusive home, then the only options are to keep the horse until it dies, or have it euthanized.
AnodyneSeaxx likes this.
stevenson is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first horse may go to Slaughter please help Trusty Rusty Horse Talk 88 12-07-2014 02:02 PM
Need thoughts and opinions on horse slaughter daisymay Horse Protection 10 10-30-2013 10:27 PM
Tell me about horse slaughter lilbit11011 Horse Talk 13 04-12-2012 04:10 PM
Horse slaughter..?? ShadowSpazzz Horse Health 34 08-19-2010 09:07 PM
Horse Slaughter PechosGoldenChance Horse Law 0 03-31-2010 03:04 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome