Join Date: May 2009
Location: Queensland, Australia
Shady buyer (vent)
So, in February of this year we sold my sister's TB showjumper because she didn't want to ride him. A lady who lived about 20 hours away bought him from photos, a testimonial from my sister's old instructor (a former Olympic showjumper) and a vet check with the best horse vet in our area. She stopped on her way back from picking up her new float and picked him up, promising to call us if she wanted to sell him again etc. so we had first option to take him back.
She called in March saying she was selling him because "she'd done 3 weeks of flatwork on him and he WON'T be able to jump 1m like I was told he could" and she was selling him for $1500 more than she paid for him. (Side note: we have photographic PROOF of my sister jumping him 12 & Unders (80cm - 1m), D Grade (90cm - 1.1m) and Zone Teams Challenge (1m - 1.2m) easily and she saw these before she bought him so he definitely CAN)
So Mum told her that unfortunately we couldn't afford to pay that much to take him back and to please pass our information onto the next people who bought him because we'd still be willing to take him back if it ever came he needed a home.
Case closed hey? No.
She called back this morning, saying she wants her money back or she's going to dog him, because we lied, the vet lied, the instructor lied, and she can't sell him because he's been lame the entire time she's had him. Her mother has apparently told her to dog him but she wants her $3000 back which is fair enough. Of course we're giving her her purchase price back in exchange for him but there's a few things shady about her story that really annoy me.
Because of some bad farrier work when he was younger he had a dip in his front feet, completely fixable by good farrier work - we sent her photos of what it looked like when we got him, and how it was now nearly gone because of our farrier's work. She spoke to our farrier, her farrier spoke to our farrier and they agreed it was fine. He'd only been lame twice in the four years we had him - once because of a stone bruise that turned into an abscess and the second time because the ground had been wet and sucked his shoes off and hardened before the farrier could get back out. We disclosed ALL of this to her, and he passed the vet check with flying colours.
My problem is how her story doesn't add up, I'm not sure how she could have flatworked him if he was lame the ENTIRE time she'd had him, and if it was a problem, why she waited 4 months to demand her money back? She also said she doesn't know WHY he's lame which leads me to believe she hasn't gotten a vet/farrier out to see him which really, really p*sses me off. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
He'll probably arrive in the next couple of weeks so once we see if he actually IS lame, we'll have our vet out and take x-rays if need be and get our farrier to look at his feet.
I'll update this once he's back, and cookies and milk to anyone who made it all the way through the HUGE thread but I needed a rant
Thinks her father has realised she will never outgrow horses for boys