She sold him from under me. - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 10-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,391
• Horses: 1
Or else, another thought, she wants him sold, wants the money, but maybe these folks on the weekend offered less than you. She's willing to take less but would rather have your $ she told you about the deal on the weekend. If you show up before Monday, she wins either way. If she won't sign the contract with a full return for a failed vet check, you'll know that there is a problem. She sounds like she'll sell to the first one who forks over the money. If she can get YOUR money (full asking price) she'll take it if you get there first. You have to have the protection of the vet don't cave on that point. I bought my mare from folks who let me have 30 days trial, purchase contingent on a good vet check...but they knew the horse was sound and weren't worried about it. They also put things in our agreement to protect THEM - I had to keep the horse on her usual feed and in a dry lot away from other horses for the 30 days, and of course, if she got hurt, I had to buy her for the price quoted. So, if people are trustworthy, it can work out for both parties.
Ladytrails is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 10-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 49
• Horses: 2
Originally Posted by Ladytrails View Post
You have to have the protection of the vet don't cave on that point.
I agree with that..

Owned by Lady and Chief...x
LadyGaGa is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 10-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 564
• Horses: 0
Maybe she just wants the horse sold and has no real attachment to it. I've done it, I had to many people wasting my time when I was selling my pony. It was first come first serve. I wasn't that attached to him and needed him sold. On the other hand I held onto a mare for a month for a friend, but that was getting lengthy and tiresome. Much longer I would of had to sell her anyway.
BarrelRacer86 is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 10-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 49
• Horses: 2
I hear what your saying but really we are only talking about one day extra to wait....and she has already shown she isnt wasting time as she has arranged a vetting...I would much more readily accept that point if we were talking about a week or two weeks ...but one day is nothing...!..

Owned by Lady and Chief...x
LadyGaGa is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 10-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
I agree with all those who say that she just wants the horse sold. That may concern me on different levels such as: The horse has a problem and she wants it gone, or she needs the money and waiting for a vet only delays the sale - if it even happens, or she subscribes to the theory that "first come, first served".

In any case, if you are more comfortable with a vet check, then don't cave in - there are way too many horses out there for sale - especially this time of the year.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 10-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,141
• Horses: 2
I know how you feel-I had one sold out from under me WITH a deposit! And I will say that it was for the best-no question. In this case, with no deposit tho and nothing in writing, in this market-the first one with the $$ gets the horse. However, I would have told you that the first time you inquired.

As far as the vet check-yeah, you need one, and yeah, they make some owners nervous, It has long been my opinion that if you look hard enough, you can find something on every horse (and every person, for that matter). The issue is whether the vet and/or buyer are keen enough to throw out the "red herrings" that may NEVER cause lameness and go for it. Some just can't. They want perfection. And, sure, there is a possibility that the owner may know of a real deal breaker that would come out.

Personally, I like the suggestion of having a friend inquire about the horse next week and see if it is still for sale. If so, personally I would RUN! But, up to you.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 10-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Green Broke
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,260
• Horses: 15
I think she just wants the horse sold too. Look at it this way. She's got some one coming Sunday who has the money and a trailer. Someone who doesn't want a vet check. So she can sell to them on Sunday and poof the horse is gone. OR she can hold him til Monday and something MIGHT show up on the vet report (something she might not even know about) and then she's back to square one, worse actually she's back a few squares because now she realizes there is something wrong with her horse and she'll have a harder time selling it.

100% Anti-Slaughter and PROUD of it!
ShutUpJoe is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 10-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Green Broke
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 4,863
• Horses: 1
I'm with ShutUpJoe. I was once selling a horse that I really needed to get rid of (I was leaving the country). Some buyers just screw you around. They offer you heaps less, say they are going to turn up but never do, say they want them then change their minds, deliberate for weeks etc. If I'm selling a horse and I have two owners interested that I approve of and one says "hey, I'll show up on Sunday and give you money and the horse is gone" and the other says "I'll have a vet on Monday and maybe buy him" I'd go with the first one. If you decide you don't want the horse then they could lose the other buyers.

If you really, really want the horse you should be able to get a vet to check him out, even if you pay a little more or get one you don't normally use. If it sounds suss to you then don't go for it but to me it just sounds like the owner wants to sell the horse.
Saskia is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 10-14-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 269
• Horses: 1
Regardless of whether or not she just wanted him sold or is messing me around, I understand where she is coming from. It just makes me sad. :(

Last edited by iridehorses; 10-14-2010 at 09:05 PM.
equestrian is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 10-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Green Broke
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,260
• Horses: 15
I know it does. You'll find something. : )

100% Anti-Slaughter and PROUD of it!
ShutUpJoe is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
She sold! twogeldings Horse Talk 1 09-19-2010 04:26 PM
sold her :[ BarrelracingArabian Horse Talk 4 08-10-2010 05:48 PM
Who gets sold? PaintsPwn Western Riding 14 03-22-2010 12:32 AM
I Need It Sold!!! Lucara Tack and Equipment Classifieds 19 03-07-2010 03:11 PM
Being sold. HorsesAreForever Horse Training 20 05-04-2009 03:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome