I have been offered my sister's old gelding and am debating on taking him. She really needs to move him and her other gelding, so it would be a favor to her as well.
It came at a really funny time I had just posted "terrified of riding" https://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk...70/#post572816
a few days ago, she had texted me that night to take him. Only catch is that I have to help find a place for her other gelding.
The horse is either 21 or 22 I forget, we've had him in the family since he was 4. A solid paint, 15.1 hands. I used him in pony club and fox hunted him when my sister was at college. Hes the horse I used to jump bareback, we'd ride him double, pony my old mare off him. He really hasn't been ridden much since I moved away years ago, probably trail ridden 5 times a year at the most for the last couple years. He has his quirks, but I know them, and its nothin dangerous - little things like you can't cross tie him or he likes to prance on the trail and make loud snorting noises (sounds like the raptors on jerrasic park). I do have the room to keep him at our place so thats not a huge issue.
I guess the only thing that is holding me back is my own gelding. I wouldn't have the time for the 2 of them, plus its a bit of a stretch for me to buy hay, farrier, shots, etc for 2 horses in the winter months. If you read my "terrifed" post you will know I haven't really ridden him much anyways. I do like him, hes like a huge dog on the ground, I just dred getting on him. I could either keep attempting to ride him, lease him, sell him - He did come with a buy back clause with the old owner. I'm a bit hung up on selling another horse, I've tried 4 horses in the last couple years (one was just a lease). 2 horses I bought were NOTHING the owner said, quiet beginner safe horses that reared and spooked at everything ha.
Anyways, what I am really just looking for is your thoughts? I've been thinking it over the last couple days and just keep going back and forth. I don't have to make a decision right away, I can financially keep both horses here for the summer if I choose to. We wouldn't take my sister's gelding right away either, its a 5 hour drive and we have a trip planned for April for wedding meetings and such.
And I appologize, I just realized this got so long - thanks in advance to those that got through reading it all!!