Slaughter horse - The Horse Forum
 37Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 07-13-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
• Horses: 0
Slaughter horse

Back in April my horse of 2 years died. He gave me a lot of fear towards riding because I fell if of him many times due to his bolting. I swore to never get a horse again unless I found the perfect one. Flash forward to now, I haven’t ridden since. I was scrolling through Facebook and I saw a free horse add. She is a 20 yr old quarter horse. If she doesn’t find a home she will be forced to slaughter. We have half an acre of pasture and I wanted to know how much would building a stall and more fencing cost, and how could I convince my mother to let me get her? Help please.
Faye0101 is offline  
post #2 of 26 Old 07-13-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faye0101 View Post
Back in April my horse of 2 years died. He gave me a lot of fear towards riding because I fell if of him many times due to his bolting. I swore to never get a horse again unless I found the perfect one. Flash forward to now, I haven’t ridden since. I was scrolling through Facebook and I saw a free horse add. She is a 20 yr old quarter horse. If she doesn’t find a home she will be forced to slaughter. We have half an acre of pasture and I wanted to know how much would building a stall and more fencing cost, and how could I convince my mother to let me get her? Help please.
I would be paying for everything myself just as I did with my last horse. By the way I am 14 if that makes a difference in anything.
Faye0101 is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 07-13-2019, 11:33 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: CenTex
Posts: 1,486
• Horses: 0
You need to find out why this horse is free. People don't just give away good horses (usually). You could end up with the same problems you had with your old horse. Or, more likely, this guy has expensive health problems and you would have to pay to take care of them. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I took a free horse in a similar situation, and I have no regrets whatsoever, but you need to understand why this horse is free, and then you need to honestly ask yourself if you are able to deal with whatever issues he has. Especially if you're going to be paying for everything yourself.

Half an acre is on OK amount of land for a horse to live on, but if he is out on it all the time it will soon turn into a weedy muddy mess. You will have to pay for hay year-round. And muck out the pasture. Also most horses don't like living alone -- what would you do if your horse needs a companion?

I just want to be clear, I hope it works out for you to get this guy. These kind of situations always make me sad, and if you are able to save a horse in this situation that would be awesome. But you need to go into it with your eyes open.

I have no idea how to convince your mother, but as a mother myself I would be more convince-able if my child showed me she had done her research and had a concrete plan of how to take care of everything (mucking out the pasture, paying for expenses, etc.).
ACinATX is offline  
post #4 of 26 Old 07-13-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACinATX View Post
You need to find out why this horse is free. People don't just give away good horses (usually). You could end up with the same problems you had with your old horse. Or, more likely, this guy has expensive health problems and you would have to pay to take care of them. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I took a free horse in a similar situation, and I have no regrets whatsoever, but you need to understand why this horse is free, and then you need to honestly ask yourself if you are able to deal with whatever issues he has. Especially if you're going to be paying for everything yourself.

Half an acre is on OK amount of land for a horse to live on, but if he is out on it all the time it will soon turn into a weedy muddy mess. You will have to pay for hay year-round. And muck out the pasture. Also most horses don't like living alone -- what would you do if your horse needs a companion?

I just want to be clear, I hope it works out for you to get this guy. These kind of situations always make me sad, and if you are able to save a horse in this situation that would be awesome. But you need to go into it with your eyes open.

I have no idea how to convince your mother, but as a mother myself I would be more convince-able if my child showed me she had done her research and had a concrete plan of how to take care of everything (mucking out the pasture, paying for expenses, etc.).

The person isn’t moving and can’t find a buyer. The add says she is happy and healthy Andy utd on shots and shoes. Thanks!
Faye0101 is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 07-13-2019, 11:46 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: CenTex
Posts: 1,486
• Horses: 0
Can you get a vet out there to do a PPE (Pre Purchase Exam)? To be sure? I hate to say it, but people have been know to, er, stretch the truth somewhat in horse ads. Maybe you could even ask for the horse's vet records? I got mine AFTER I bought my first two horses, and it did contain some information that the owner had not seen fit to share with me. I find it hard to believe this person could not find a buyer for a good riding horse.

Oh, and another reason people give away horses: because of behvaior problems. Rearing, bucking, biting, kicking, etc. Could you handle those if they came up?

If this horse turned out to not be rideable for some reason, would you be OK with it just being a pasture pet?

Just, again, to reiterate, I hope you can make this work out! But you need to be 100% sure of what you are getting into. Well, at least 90% sure.
boots, jaydee and mmshiro like this.
ACinATX is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 07-13-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACinATX View Post
Can you get a vet out there to do a PPE (Pre Purchase Exam)? To be sure? I hate to say it, but people have been know to, er, stretch the truth somewhat in horse ads. Maybe you could even ask for the horse's vet records? I got mine AFTER I bought my first two horses, and it did contain some information that the owner had not seen fit to share with me. I find it hard to believe this person could not find a buyer for a good riding horse.

Oh, and another reason people give away horses: because of behvaior problems. Rearing, bucking, biting, kicking, etc. Could you handle those if they came up?

If this horse turned out to not be rideable for some reason, would you be OK with it just being a pasture pet?

Just, again, to reiterate, I hope you can make this work out! But you need to be 100% sure of what you are getting into. Well, at least 90% sure.
Yeah. I’m really looking for an old horse that I could work with to build up my confidence. I nonchalantly slid in the question if she would let me get a horse. She said she doesn’t think I would I have time for one with field hockey everyday. I think I could manage it though. Practice gets done at 7 so...
Faye0101 is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 07-13-2019, 12:12 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: CenTex
Posts: 1,486
• Horses: 0
7:00 every day? That would be hard to manage. If that's her concern, and you think you could do it, though, how about you spend an hour every day after 7:00, now, working out in that pasture to clean it up and get ready, and doing housework for her, to show her that you have time. An hour a day is a reasonable amount of time to spend on one horse.

But what about homework? When would that get done?
ACinATX is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 07-13-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 7
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACinATX View Post
7:00 every day? That would be hard to manage. If that's her concern, and you think you could do it, though, how about you spend an hour every day after 7:00, now, working out in that pasture to clean it up and get ready, and doing housework for her, to show her that you have time. An hour a day is a reasonable amount of time to spend on one horse.

But what about homework? When would that get done?
If i would be done by 8 I would do it it then. We have a study hall period durning the day. By the way I really appreciate you helping me work this out!!
Faye0101 is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 07-13-2019, 12:48 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 889
• Horses: 2
I really like the idea of coming home from field hockey practice and being proactive! If you can show her that when you get home you are committed to prepping the pasture space for an hour I think that would send a great message!

If you decide you are allowed to get the horse, go visit it first, and send us some pictures! We might be able to tell if there is anything majorly wrong from some pictures and that might be a start to determine if this would be an ok horse for riding. Most of us aren't vets but do have a keen eye for things.
Filou is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 07-13-2019, 01:04 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,276
• Horses: 1
Old doesn't mean slow and well behaved. I met plenty old horses with more forward than people can manage and I bet others on here have as well! Plenty old naughty horses with vices as well - worse because those vices usually are very. well. ingrained.

Your heart hurts for this mare. Mine would too. I see a lot of things that make my heart hurt. I think it would be great to rescue her and give her the love and care she needs. Even if you take her on board IF she turns out to be unmanageable or maybe worse than you anticipated you could still offer her a peaceful passing surrounded by caring people. The only way I would take this horse on board would be with the full expectation that she might have something seriously wrong and if she does - can I deal with it, would I be happy caring for a horse that can't be ridden (properly!), do I have the money to pay for a trainer and if the answer is both no to those: can I afford, both financially and emotionally, to put her down?

Your times are in a best case scenario. What if this mare gets sick and needs tending to? Wounds cleaned hourly or watches over her if there is a case of colic? YOU? Or your mother? Is it fair to your mother to give up HER time for YOUR hobby? OFC she's your mother and loves you but do bear in mind you can't just ditch ownership of a living creature overnight, like you would if you gave up hockey. Your mother wants a life as well - are you fully prepared to take on the vast majority of responsibility?

So let's say your answer is STILL yes, you want this horse. Let's get investigating.

- any idea how much a farrier/trimmer will cost you for a call out once every 6 weeks? (do factor in that sometimes they need it more regularly)

- you are going to ring a few equine vet practices (yes YOU, you're allowed to ask) and ask them a series of questions (or any close to you if you live in the middle of nowhere):
1. how much is a PPE?
2. how much do vaccinations cost?
3. how much is it to get teeth done?
4. how much is a vet call out?
5. how much is an emergency call out?
6. how much to put a horse down?

- how big is the horse?

- is the horse an easy keeper?

- does the horse need company?

- if the horse needs company, what companion would you get. A mini? A donkey? A pony? How much would this cost additionally.

- what food is the horse currently being fed?

- how much feed and hay would need for a month, and how much will it cost?

- what bedding would you use and how much would you need a month, and it's cost?

- has the horse ever had laminitis?

- measure or workout the following:
1. how much fence do you need (literally, go out and measure the entire perimeter. Work it out roughly with your stride and a meter stick if no one knows).
2. how big would the stable be? again. Work out measurements. How wide, how long and how tall?
3. Would you have a storage tack room? Again, work out measurements as above.


- Lastly insurance. Would you even bother to insure the horse? If so, get a quote from a company.

--------------------------------------

The above is a lot of information but this is exactly the type of information my mother would have DEMANDED of me before even considering something like this. The more answers AND solutions you have the easier it gets for you.
Kalraii is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome