soring - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 08-23-2012, 01:31 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 926
• Horses: 0
Even having the knowledge I do have re: all aspects of soring/Big Lick prep & seeing other videos on the subject, I have to say that I wish I hadn't eaten prior to viewing that. I am physically sick to my stomach now and my heart is WEEPING for those poor animals.
I have ice running through my veins at the moment and what I'd like to do to those "trainers", (immediately after freeing and medicating with strong narcotics to provide if but a despairingly brief moment of relief to the horses-- each & every horse at that barn) --is not fit to print on HF. AS WELL, I'd carefully complete my "torture" upon these "people" without the aide of anesthetic of any kind.

Thank you for posting that video for us.
Posted via Mobile Device
Back2Horseback is offline  
post #22 of 30 Old 08-23-2012, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 688
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2Horseback View Post
Eclipse,

Hi! First off, certainly no member here needs ME to "defend" their position, but I think this is more of a lack of communication thing here than a "rudeness/lack of desire to educate thing...

What I BELIEVE FrankNB was saying was that by Googling it (as I did not so very long ago to learn about soring/Big lick/etc....growing up in Az, this is not a showing style common to our area, thus I'd truly NO EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER with the concepts when I first came across it)!

Many if us, as I bet you are as well, are SO BUSY, betweenwork/family/LIFE that it helps when someone requests info on a subject which is widely available online everywhere, to encourage the poster to research the basics elsewhere, and come BACK TO HF and ask others to clarify the parts they felt were unclear, ya know?

No sense in a member typing up an hour's worth of the History of Soring during their one to two free hours of the day (like me) when it's EVERYWHERE ONLINE--(the "reinventing the wheel" comment)...

There are TONS of videos as well in you tube showing the many awful aspects of soring to watch as well...

Please don't be put off. HF members, F&B in particular, have/has so much to offer and if you come back with more pointed questions, I bet you'll get better answers and reception in general!

Best to you!!! :0) B2H
yeppers, being a full fledge adult owner of a working ranch I am fully well aware of time constraints but thank you for sharing and you might pass this info on to just about every thread I have read with a ?? that the poster might think some horse person on here might know. cheers to you and once again to the folks that took a moment to answer my ?? thank you, I appreciate your time and now have an understanding about the serious issue at hand. and in no way was ever asking for hours of anyone's time ;)

Horsepower: the extraordinary capacity of a horse to elevate the human spirit!

My castle is my barn ;)

Last edited by eclipseranch; 08-23-2012 at 03:54 AM.
eclipseranch is offline  
post #23 of 30 Old 08-23-2012, 07:29 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Surry, Va
Posts: 4,766
• Horses: 0
Ask away, I dont mind blabbing my opinions, usually I can back them up with facts and logic.

The above definition of soring using chemicals was one of the problems. Lawmakers attempting to do good went over board and made it worse. They specifically defined soring as using chemicals. So they went to phsical means and other work arounds.

I strongly encourage you to attend and support the Celebration. The TWBEA has been BANNED from the event. This event is now run by and under the National Walking Horse Association.

The Humane society has there own agenda, some good some bad. Alot of what they do is deplorable as well. IE using animal shelters in all there fund raising adds, yet give little or nothing to local animal shelters. They didnt expose anything that wasnt known all along. The just had the size and clout to get it on national news.

No big lick allowed, enforcement of soring rules and laws using laymens terms. No judges or directors that have been cited for animal cruelty, unlike the entire board of the TWHBEA. I am sure they wont be perfect right away but the NWHA is really trying to clean this up and deserve our support.
HagonNag and Mason72 like this.
Joe4d is offline  
post #24 of 30 Old 08-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 926
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
Ask away, I dont mind blabbing my opinions, usually I can back them up with facts and logic.

The above definition of soring using chemicals was one of the problems. Lawmakers attempting to do good went over board and made it worse. They specifically defined soring as using chemicals. So they went to phsical means and other work arounds.

I strongly encourage you to attend and support the Celebration. The TWBEA has been BANNED from the event. This event is now run by and under the National Walking Horse Association.

The Humane society has there own agenda, some good some bad. Alot of what they do is deplorable as well. IE using animal shelters in all there fund raising adds, yet give little or nothing to local animal shelters. They didnt expose anything that wasnt known all along. The just had the size and clout to get it on national news.

No big lick allowed, enforcement of soring rules and laws using laymens terms. No judges or directors that have been cited for animal cruelty, unlike the entire board of the TWHBEA. I am sure they wont be perfect right away but the NWHA is really trying to clean this up and deserve our support.
Agreed, again; that the "good guys" deserve our support AND that the HSoA is sooo underfunding the ANIMALS THEY CLAIM (in their ads which make my husband and me sick, knowing how little of the $$ they are requesting so vehemently actually goes to those "pathetic faces" in the ads!) & how much MORE $$ GOES TO lining their POCKETS!!

We have very VERY little money, but we still give any way we can, even when it is simply through TIME DONATIONS which thus ONLY HELPS ANIMALS & no one gets rich off of monies we certainly do not have in excess to donate. The animals certainly do have a better time in their lives thanks to many volunteers loving on them & providing them with good attentive care!! :0)
Posted via Mobile Device
Back2Horseback is offline  
post #25 of 30 Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,141
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseranch View Post
yeppers, being a full fledge adult owner of a working ranch I am fully well aware of time constraints but thank you for sharing and you might pass this info on to just about every thread I have read with a ?? that the poster might think some horse person on here might know. cheers to you and once again to the folks that took a moment to answer my ?? thank you, I appreciate your time and now have an understanding about the serious issue at hand. and in no way was ever asking for hours of anyone's time ;)
Here is where I am coming from. I am always happy to answer questions, EXCEPT when the info is fact based, and readily available to anyone who can use a search engine, and has been discussed here at length. For you to get the answer to your question would have actually taken you LESS time had you typed the title of your thread into your search box. Plus, your answer there would most likely give you a broader knowledge of the issue than a few peoples' ideas. And, education IS what you are looking for, correct?

Sorry if I get a little impatient with folks who seemingly make little effort on their own to find their answers.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
post #26 of 30 Old 08-23-2012, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 688
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
Here is where I am coming from. I am always happy to answer questions, EXCEPT when the info is fact based, and readily available to anyone who can use a search engine, and has been discussed here at length. For you to get the answer to your question would have actually taken you LESS time had you typed the title of your thread into your search box. Plus, your answer there would most likely give you a broader knowledge of the issue than a few peoples' ideas. And, education IS what you are looking for, correct?

Sorry if I get a little impatient with folks who seemingly make little effort on their own to find their answers.
NP...and what you read from the search bar may also be someone's opinion. You know I just came home from a night in which I explained to a distraught family about the fragile ground of instability following a traumatic brain injury and in my career I have explained the same thing at least 1000 times if not more..God willing I showed the family last night the same compassion that I showed my 1st family..a bit off topic but.... I, personally would rather hear/read people's opinions & have the ability to research on my own and come to my own beliefs & conclusions from a well rounded direction than always trust..ah anyway I'm waay too tired to think ..night & Blessings to the horses who unfortunately have owners who care more about making a buck than their horses well being!

Horsepower: the extraordinary capacity of a horse to elevate the human spirit!

My castle is my barn ;)
eclipseranch is offline  
post #27 of 30 Old 08-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 447
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
There are NO legitimate Big lick trainers. Its a barbaric practice.
This just got me thinking back to when my instructor and I used to toss around the idea of teaching a "natural" big lick. We're not TWH people, but we work with the TWH in our barn. My BO is retraining one of her TWH for gaited dressage. The idea pretty much is teaching a TWH to spanish walk. Teach the height and extension without abuse or gimmicks, and work slowly over time to make sure they have the proper muscling to hold it without hurting themselves. My BO's TWH was started with it, and now he paws in the cross ties lol. He definitely has the lift down, and likes to do it on his own to draw attention to himself; lift his leg all the way up, and stomp down. It is so funny to watch.

Think of it not as a failure but as a success in how not to do it.

Don't look in a horses mouth for a gift.
Joidigm is offline  
post #28 of 30 Old 08-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,475
• Horses: 2
I do have a legitimate question.

The chemicals used are say to cause extreme pain and are literally cooked into the horses legs. I'd expect to see scars but I haven't noticed any. Are they simply using chemicals that won't burn and damage the skin? Are they chemical burns? What exactly happens?
Copperhead is offline  
post #29 of 30 Old 08-24-2012, 12:08 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 447
• Horses: 0
The major chemicals actually cause the skin to die and decay off of the bone. It is disgusting. There are gentler chemicals, like mustard, that gets a similar, less serious effect, without the nastiness involved. Still soring, but there are various chemicals and various results.

Most obvious results would probably hair loss and maybe inflamation of the effected area. Sort of like being burned by something spicy. Your nerves feel it, you get some heat, but not any physical visuals to the burn.

Think of it not as a failure but as a success in how not to do it.

Don't look in a horses mouth for a gift.

Last edited by Joidigm; 08-24-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Joidigm is offline  
post #30 of 30 Old 08-24-2012, 06:12 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 217
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAQHAGirl View Post

Sored horses, usually do not stand still because of the pain. If they did stand still this is what you would expect it to look like.

http://hollygirl25.files.wordpress.c...00517-1536.jpg

Lovely right? *major eye roll*
If any horse I know was standing like that, I'd be calling every vet in the state, wondering what is wrong with the poor horse.

Also if my horse was moving like this, I'd also be calling every vet in the state. It gets really freaky at 1:36, when the horse that wins (the one with the most abnormal gaits possible), starts to canter. The only thing I can think to compare them to is show line German Shepherds with their floppy hocks, and bad hips. A
Lunarflowermaiden is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soring. For it, or against it? meganishername Gaited Horses 166 03-04-2013 04:03 AM
Soring on muzzle OwnedByAlli Horse Health 8 06-26-2012 01:10 PM
more soring in the news SueNH Gaited Horses 62 06-02-2012 09:53 AM
So, you think SORING is wrong??? hanse004 Gaited Horses 121 12-28-2009 09:16 AM
Petition to End Soring Mr. Midnight's Mom Horse Protection 11 08-16-2008 04:04 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome