Sporthorse Curly Name? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,059
• Horses: 1
Isla for a filly (pronounced Eye-La)
Or Iris, Isis, Isabella.
Or for a colt
Ian, Iconic, Indi.
VickiRose is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 10-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,175
• Horses: 5
I didn't even realize Sam was that old already, but sure enough! Time flies when you don't check the websites daily. That will be a nice foal for sure. I guess I never paid attention, but is Icon suspected homozygous for curl? I remember Sandman was, but never looked close enough at Icon. As for names, I have nothing. I just saw Curly and flocked here out of excitement.
ButtInTheDirt is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 10-07-2013, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 109
• Horses: 8
Thanks Guys~ These are great names so far! I thought I fixed the pics of Sam, but I'll edit that.

~*~lkjhorse927~*~
lkjhorse927 is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 10-07-2013, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 109
• Horses: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtInTheDirt View Post
I didn't even realize Sam was that old already, but sure enough! Time flies when you don't check the websites daily. That will be a nice foal for sure. I guess I never paid attention, but is Icon suspected homozygous for curl? I remember Sandman was, but never looked close enough at Icon. As for names, I have nothing. I just saw Curly and flocked here out of excitement.
Yay! Another curly person! I do think that Icon is homozygous for curls-but Sam is curly as well so the foal should be curly. ?
How do you know about these curlies?

~*~lkjhorse927~*~
lkjhorse927 is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 10-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,800
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkjhorse927 View Post
Yay! Another curly person! I do think that Icon is homozygous for curls-but Sam is curly as well so the foal should be curly. ?
How do you know about these curlies?
You can get straight haired curlies, even if both parents have an excessive amount of curls.

"The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with
him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too."

-Samuel Butler
CLaPorte432 is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 10-07-2013, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 109
• Horses: 8
I know

~*~lkjhorse927~*~
lkjhorse927 is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 10-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: AZ
Posts: 964
• Horses: 0
Because of your mare's name, "I Am _____"

Or:

Intention
Ice or Icy
Illusion
Ink or Inky
Intrigue
Indigo
Isis
Izzy

There are some good ones here:
Horse Names Starting with I

I like illusion, intirgue and intention.

Last edited by EponaLynn; 10-07-2013 at 07:42 PM.
EponaLynn is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 10-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,175
• Horses: 5
I've done enough web-surfing to be familiar with a little more than a good handful of Curlies. Once I had my own I wanted to get more familiar with the breeds, and Shelly White's Curly sporthorses are quite impressive. As far as seeing one in person, it is on the list.

As far as the foal being Curly, it will depend on the zygosity of the parents. My filly born this year was out of two Curly parents, both Curly coated and turned up straight. Last year from the same pairing my mare produced a straight colt. This means both parents must have only one copy of the *curly* gene. (25% chance of straight coat, 75% chance of curls, if I'm not mistaken.) Your mare Sam actually could be homozygous for curl, considering her sire was, and dam had at least one copy of the curly gene. Then if Icon is, you will be guaranteed. If both are, you will likely get another homoz for curl foal.

And even then, it doesn't say much for degree of curl and expression. Generally, most Curlies that are homozygous for curl will be "extremes," which shed their mane/tail and have a tightly curled look overall. Some horses, for example *Big Ben is homoz for curls, but keeps his mane and tail. Plus with pinto Icon as a father, and Sam's pintaloosa heritage, you've got some interesting mish-mosh of color that could happen.
ButtInTheDirt is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 10-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 16,205
• Horses: 1
Incognito...and call him/her Ink or Inky.
Posted via Mobile Device
EponaLynn likes this.
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 10-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Carousel Capital
Posts: 1,649
• Horses: 2
Handsome stud! I can't wait to see your foal.

Brain is bit dead right now, all I could think of was Intrepid.
Wild Heart is offline  
Reply

Tags
curly , name help

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to register as a sporthorse? Cweaver Sport Horses 7 05-18-2013 07:24 PM
Difference between mustang curly and bashkir curly? Newby32 Horse Breeds 29 01-05-2012 10:07 AM
4 Y/O Sporthorse Mare EveningShadows Horses for Sale 2 03-17-2011 01:08 AM
Friesian Sporthorse eralcx3 Horses for Sale 3 02-17-2009 04:36 PM
Little Appy sporthorse Velvet Horse Pictures 13 12-13-2008 07:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome