Sundowner trailer? - The Horse Forum
 34Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-21-2020, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 557
• Horses: 0
Sundowner trailer?

We found a 2 horse trailer...ad says...2005 Horse Trailer 727 Valulite Sundowner 2 Horse. This horse trailer is in great shape. (It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects, one owner, It's 7'0 Tall (TB Size) and 6'9 Wide. Empty weight is 3300lbs. Purchased in November of 2005 and used only a few times.

Great price but then I read horror stories about this trailer, corrosion, etc. Of course I'll inspect it closely, but any thoughts? Asap please as we'll be looking tonight or tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Fuddyduddy1952 is offline  
post #2 of 23 Old 01-21-2020, 05:02 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southeast
Posts: 9,043
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddyduddy1952 View Post
We found a 2 horse trailer...ad says...2005 Horse Trailer 727 Valulite Sundowner 2 Horse. This horse trailer is in great shape. (It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects, one owner, It's 7'0 Tall (TB Size) and 6'9 Wide. Empty weight is 3300lbs. Purchased in November of 2005 and used only a few times.

Great price but then I read horror stories about this trailer, corrosion, etc. Of course I'll inspect it closely, but any thoughts? Asap please as we'll be looking tonight or tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
If it is the steel frame type with aluminum skin, sometimes the frame is rusting under the skin. Hard to tell by just inspection.

Other issue would be the axles, what is the weight rating? if they are 3500 lb that is 7000 total - 3300 weight of trailer = 3700 for horses and tack/supplies. Horses 1000 ave x 2 = 2000 plus 500 tack/supplies = 2500 so 1200 lbs "spare"

Have heard of cracked axles, so would have trailer checked out by mechanic


Is it bumper pull or gooseneck?

Just like a car, check everything that can move...moves and everything that shouldn't. doesn't.

Should pull it to see how it drives.
Change and Fuddyduddy1952 like this.
AnitaAnne is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 01-21-2020, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 557
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaAnne View Post
If it is the steel frame type with aluminum skin, sometimes the frame is rusting under the skin. Hard to tell by just inspection.



Other issue would be the axles, what is the weight rating? if they are 3500 lb that is 7000 total - 3300 weight of trailer = 3700 for horses and tack/supplies. Horses 1000 ave x 2 = 2000 plus 500 tack/supplies = 2500 so 1200 lbs "spare"



Have heard of cracked axles, so would have trailer checked out by mechanic





Is it bumper pull or gooseneck?



Just like a car, check everything that can move...moves and everything that shouldn't. doesn't.



Should pull it to see how it drives.
A bumper pull. Small apparently but that's what we're looking for. We haven't seen it yet. One issue was they need washing out immediately after use, especially acidic urine can damage frame. Since from factory it apparently was undercoated it's hard to see if damage.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
AnitaAnne likes this.
Fuddyduddy1952 is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 01-21-2020, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 557
• Horses: 0
Only have one picture of trailer...

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Fuddyduddy1952 is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 01-21-2020, 05:26 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southeast
Posts: 9,043
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddyduddy1952 View Post
Only have one picture of trailer...

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Oh slant load...measure the stalls carefully, sometimes the second stall is quite a bit smaller and not useful for a horse.

Would ask for more pictures too, but the one shown it looks in good shape. I always wonder about scams with only one picture...
Fuddyduddy1952 likes this.
AnitaAnne is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 01-21-2020, 06:28 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Northern Florida
Posts: 5,307
• Horses: 4
I've seen a bunch of those trailers down here in Florida that were super rusty underneath. The problems with those trailers I believe started in the year 1998 with the powder coating until 2003. After that they used under coating underneath but the frame was still powder coated and still flaked but to lesser degree. They started using all aluminum in 2008 or 2009. They don't really have a great resale value as people are afraid of them.
COWCHICK77 and Fuddyduddy1952 like this.

There will be only one of you for all time. Fearlessly be yourself.
Coffee is my spirit animal
LoriF is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 01-22-2020, 02:16 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 9,259
• Horses: 12
Every one I know who bought a Sundowner ended up regretting it.
COWCHICK77 and Fuddyduddy1952 like this.

R.I.P. JC 5/19/85 - 12/9/14. You made my life better.
JCnGrace is online now  
post #8 of 23 Old 01-22-2020, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 557
• Horses: 0
I think I'll pass on the trailer. I found it on our local Craigslist, emailed the seller. We wanted to inspect it of course. Today I got 10 pictures, price lowered from $1,000 to $800. This reply, which seems very weird.
What do you guys think? Personally if a deal is so good, it's a red flag.
Previous email said must sell quickly, no storage, etc. Here's one picture and reply...

"Right now I'm stationed at Offutt AFB, Nebraska, doing a special training and getting ready for my deployment. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay(using this service you will get a 5 days to inspect/test the trailer before I'll get any money.) so my presence isn't necessary. I think I can have it there at your home address within 2-3 working days. The shipping fees are included the final price. So, you'll get the trailer for $800, without any additional costs involved.
I am overwhelmed with the amount of work and I just finished all arrangements for my family prior to deployment. For the moment the trailer is the last thing left to do. So, in order to start the deal, I need your full name and delivery address so I can reserve the trailer for you and register the transaction with eBay and they will contact you with all the instructions step by step on how to complete the deal."



Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Fuddyduddy1952 is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 01-22-2020, 10:08 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southeast
Posts: 9,043
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddyduddy1952 View Post
I think I'll pass on the trailer. I found it on our local Craigslist, emailed the seller. We wanted to inspect it of course. Today I got 10 pictures, price lowered from $1,000 to $800. This reply, which seems very weird.
What do you guys think? Personally if a deal is so good, it's a red flag.
Previous email said must sell quickly, no storage, etc. Here's one picture and reply...

"Right now I'm stationed at Offutt AFB, Nebraska, doing a special training and getting ready for my deployment. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay(using this service you will get a 5 days to inspect/test the trailer before I'll get any money.) so my presence isn't necessary. I think I can have it there at your home address within 2-3 working days. The shipping fees are included the final price. So, you'll get the trailer for $800, without any additional costs involved.
I am overwhelmed with the amount of work and I just finished all arrangements for my family prior to deployment. For the moment the trailer is the last thing left to do. So, in order to start the deal, I need your full name and delivery address so I can reserve the trailer for you and register the transaction with eBay and they will contact you with all the instructions step by step on how to complete the deal."



Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Sounds like a scam...no way that trailer would sell that cheaply. Also arrangements are not made thru eBay like that.
AnitaAnne is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 01-22-2020, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 557
• Horses: 0
I just researched "seller" email address!

[email protected] complaint - Scammer posting fake trailer/car ads
https://complaintwire.org/complaint/...coleman-online

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
jaydee and ACinATX like this.
Fuddyduddy1952 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome