Two very strong do you make the decision? (LONG) - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 07-12-2013, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,264
• Horses: 2
Two very strong do you make the decision? (LONG)

HI All...First let me preface this by saying I have yet to see these horses...they are both out of state so I am travelling on Sunday with an appt on Monday for one and Tuesday for the other. I am on the hunt for a solid 4th level dressage prospect. My hopes of course is that one or the other gives me a hard clue that they wouldn't work but with my luck......

Horse 1: Gelding, 9 y/o American Warmblood; 16.2 with confirmed score of 66.489 in first level via Centerline with stated scores well into the 70s at both Training and 1st Level at schooling shows. Slightly pigeon toed (you may have seen my posts on that one). Used as a lesson horse 2-3 times a week to help with steadiness, calmness and let's say, the irritation of amateur riders without going into a snit. Standard phrases of clips, bathes, ties, loads etc. He is currently barefoot all around. I have the opportunity to observe him in the afternoon lessons on Monday.

Horse 2: Mare, 12 y/o Belgian Warmblood; 16.3. Alleged score of 74 in first level but can't confirm via Centerline; possible the rider showed her in an Opportunity class; no other scores available; she was also shown as a preliminary eventer by a then 12 yr old girl who was a timid issues with nasty behavior. Mare is admitted to be mareish on the ground but easily controllable as long as we aren't talking little kids trying to handle; can be mareish in the field if let out with geldings; in my case the mares are in their own age level paddocks; younger mares in one; the older mares in the other. Attitude under saddle is allegedly 100% normal with no mareish tendencies at any time. As the owner put it "she is a perfect lady under saddle." Same standard phrases on clipping etc.

The mare is exactly half the price of the gelding but is three years older; they are essentially at the exact same level of training and ability..both showing first level and schooling second.

Now, I fully plan on seeing both horses and giving them equal consideration. My fear, of course, is that I like them both. I can ride them, are comfortable with them and don't feel like they are a bundle of TNT waiting for just the right moment. Of course as fate goes neither one will put a step wrong to help make the decision. I have vid and still shots on the gelding but nothing on the mare as yet beyond sale photos.

I have the opportunity to actually ride the mare in a clinic given by the person who did most of her training who just happens to be a dressage judge. I am trying to set up an earlier test ride and general "I am checking out this horse" check in the morning before committing to the clinic..only makes sense as I need to know if I can actually ride the mare :). The gelding is and was also trained and is in training with another dressage judge :)..both are L level.

The barn I board at is primarily a lesson barn and we have kids and adults in and out constantly..especially now with camp underway. The kids that help out in the barn, working students, are generally in their early to mid teens and are evaluated for level of ability to handle horses but they do occasionally bring horses in from the fields.

So, all things being equal in the like department, what might be the deciding factor to go for vetting? Age, gender, conformation? I plan on full x-rays during any PPE so obviously if some issue comes up there I can make that decision to have the other horse vetted.

My trainer is on maternity leave and while I know what type of horse she would like to see me on, and I am not one to voluntarily overhorse myself as I would prefer to live to an old age...:); time is the factor. I can't wait three days for her to evaluate the vids and in truth she has much more important things to worry about right now.

So, thoughts?
tlkng1 is offline  
post #2 of 2 Old 07-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 106
• Horses: 0
Really it comes to down to personal preference (if they clear vet check and you love them both).

Me, I would take the younger gelding because I'm not a fan of mares with attitudes and I could potentially ride him for three more years than I could the mare before retirement.
Posted via Mobile Device
MustangGirl is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Still can't make a decision! 4horses Horse Talk 7 05-20-2013 04:57 PM
Help me make a difficult decision... Saranda Horse Boarding 34 05-12-2013 12:38 PM
Help need to make a decision....Warning long ruxpinsam Horse Talk 28 01-02-2013 09:08 PM
Help me make a decision? Friendable Barn Maintenance 5 08-11-2010 11:46 PM
Can't make a saddle! tarebear Horse Tack and Equipment 3 06-11-2010 09:32 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome