What grinds YOUR gears? - Page 18 - The Horse Forum
 473Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Stroudsburg, Pa
Posts: 992
• Horses: 4
Going off of your post, MissyMay, I hate when people judge because I DO use nylon tack. I LOVE a nice quality leather headstall, but while I was running gymkhana I had a lime green nylon headstall, breastcollar and nosband/tie down(which got removed as our training increased). I loved it because I won it one year for getting reserve champion at the end of the year. Call me lazy, but honestly to clean it you just throw it in the washer and let it air dry. Comes our sparkly clean! At that point in time I couldn't afford a nice headstall, so I used what I had. Doesn't make me any less of a horseperson because of it.

I hate when people say grade horses are better than papered horses. I think it depends on the individual. My grade mare is my one in a million horse. I also love a nice papered horse and my gelding is registered. My next purchase will also be registered.

I have many more, but I'm in a good mood today. We're going to pick up my mini filly's older half sister today. I am very excited. When Lexie comes home we will have Sahara(dam), the foal she is due to have in the summer, my filly, and Lexie. I will post pics if I can. :)
Faye83 likes this.
kassierae is offline  
post #172 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 4,370
• Horses: 4
My equipment seems to work better and be more comfortable after it has been used a fair amount.

I am Second
Born Once, Die Twice. Born Twice, Die Once.
Roadyy is offline  
post #173 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,498
• Horses: 1
I hate how those really nice, super clean barns are really super clean and never get dirty. I work at one on the weekends and I can wear a white shirt while cleaning stalls for 6 hours and it's still white but I wear white around my own horse for 5 minutes and its not even resembling white anymore. Still haven't figured it out.... maybe they employ magical cleaning fairies that I haven't found yet...
LynnF and GallopingGuitarist like this.
poppy1356 is offline  
post #174 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In Sunny, HOT and HUMID S.C.
Posts: 1,676
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseychick94 View Post
IMO Horses don't think like us... they think BETTER than us....Horses are peaceful,smart, and wise minded. if not it is usually because it has been ruined by a HUMAN!
Obviously you haven't spent much time with a herd of any size (at least 6 or more).
You'll find that these "peaceful,smart, and wise minded" horses are mean bullies that have very firm ideas on what they want, expect and will tolerate. They can be such vicious bullies that they gang up and kill another horse. This is why most people who deal with herds go through a process of introducing a new horse to a herd. IT's not the result of being ruined by a person. Every horse in that herd can be a wonderful riding horse for the people who ride them. Our working horses were all great for riding and working, but that's with humans, not each other. They have their place in the herd as nature deemed they would. One of my former lead mare QH would have run herself to death for me if I required it of her, go and do whatever I wanted, but would also kick another horse senseless if it failed to yield or give her the "respect" she wanted.
She was a wonderful horse for working cattle or riding 30+ miles and would follow me around the pasture like a puppy, but in the herd she was BOSS and other horses, while not the "boss" had their "position" in the herd and would fight to maintain it if challanged.
Give up this Disney childhood vision of what horses are like. Horses (and most animals) are hard wired by nature for certain behaviors, so I guess one of the things that grinds my gears is people who watch too much Disney (or for whatever reason) assign human traits and attributes to horses (and other animals).
While I love my horses, I also make sure that they all know "I" am the boss no matter what their place in herd is. And when/if they challange me I reinforce my authority as the leader. I've seen what loving, devoted horses can do when they want to so I have no illusions about how dangerous ANY horse can be in the right (or wrong) situation.

They're always going to be bigger and stronger so you better always be smarter. (One of my grandfather's many pearls of wisdom)
its lbs not miles is offline  
post #175 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere in Wisconsin
Posts: 808
• Horses: 4
Hate to beat a dead horse, sorry for the pun. I think the magnetic stirrups are fine, like others have said they will not prevent you from falling off or messing up. They're an aid, and a prevenative measure, not going to put you in the winner's circle. They're FEI approved as well, just an FYI for everyone. I think jumping 5' 9" or even lower at that, riders have already achieved a lot, worked their butts off, and gotten to that point on their own.

Things that grind MY gears. Some rantish and geared towards certain people, others just in general.

-PHONES. Stay off it, I hate riding in the arena while listening to someone loudly gossip while they're on their misbehaving horse in the middle of the arena. Not to mention if it goes off and said horse spooks. Mine is set on the edge of the arena on vibrate or silent. Just a common courtesy for all. Then when you drop it in the arena sand, don't notice and my horse steps on it, sorry, not sorry.

-NOT CLEANING UP, as mentioned by a few others have the decency to clean up after yourself. You pick up your scraps from cutting hair, picking feet, old bandages and so on. Put your stuff away and don't complain when it's put back on your saddle washed and folded because the BO knocked it in the mud.

-DRAMA, the barn is my escape. I love horses, I love the barn, the poop, the dirt, the smell, everything. Don't ruin it please. We all go to the barn to enjoy ourselves, not enjoy you dish on an amazing trainer who loaded your horse in the trailer because she refused to get in after a trail ride. The trainer knew what she was doing and eventually your horse walked right in, she wasn't mean, she wasn't nasty. She's was completly correct, and that lesson should have cost you a lot of $$$$, she did it for free.

-THIEVES, ugh where to begin. You're covered in glitter, literally all the time, people at the barn do not appreciate you using their stuff, not putting stirrups back. We know it was you, glitter everywhere. If it's not yours and you use it that's technically stealing.

-KNOW-IT-ALLS- plain and simple. No one in the horse world knows everything. There are variations in training, different methods, everyone can have a different opinion. If you say you know it all, you're wrong, sorry. We're always learning as horse people, I always am learning new things either from this forum, experience and so on.

-THOSE PEOPLE, we all know "those" people. The ones who knock your riding, knock your friend's riding, your horse, your tack and so on. Mind your own buisiness and control your beast of a horse. While you were busy yelling at me, I watched your horse give you literally three warnings before she exploded. I warned you, and you cut me off each time giving an excuse till you were brushing off dirt and all that fancy tack was ruined. That expensive horse, is now wide-eyed and loose outside, would you care to knock my inexpensive, yet well-trained horse again? OR the people who think horses have feelings like humans, again sorry to pop your bubble they don't..

-TRAINING "AIDS" I'm sure we all know about these, tie downs, draw reins, a very strong, or punishing bit to cover issues, chains, pads and so forth. If used correctly and for an actual reason fine. I don't want to see it just because it looks cool or covers up holes in training...

Too many more to list. I choose to ignore most of it, but do have those few things that really grind my gears.

TL;DR - phones, not cleaning up, drama, know-it-alls, thieves, those people, training "aids."
Stichy and Faye83 like this.

"Every person you will meet will have at least one great quality. Duplicate it and leave the rest." --Clinton Anderson
Annanoel is offline  
post #176 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In Sunny, HOT and HUMID S.C.
Posts: 1,676
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseychick94 View Post
And then there is the extremists. No shoes, riding, whips, bits, spurs.
I hardly concider myself an "extremist" just because I only use a halter (so by default no bit), have never used spurs, have never had any of my horses shod in over 40 years, (does a riding crop qualify as a whip?...I do have a crop).
I don't use any of those things because I don't need them and neither do my horses. If someone else does then that's their call.
Never shod a horse, because no one in my family did. All our horse were unshod and it's worked out great for us.
Stopped using bits when I realized I would jump on my horse to round up a couple cows that had gotten out and would just use a lead or baling twin around her neck to control her. (but most of the family still used bridles and bits). Also found it nice not having to teach later horse to take a bit .
Never needed spurs.
Not sure how I would use a whip while riding (would probably hurt myself), but I do find that with a green horse, still new under the saddle, giving them a tickle on the flank with a crop can help get them to start moving again if they freeze up.

Maybe I am extreme

They're always going to be bigger and stronger so you better always be smarter. (One of my grandfather's many pearls of wisdom)
its lbs not miles is offline  
post #177 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere in Wisconsin
Posts: 808
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by its lbs not miles View Post
Not sure how I would use a whip while riding (would probably hurt myself), but I do find that with a green horse, still new under the saddle, giving them a tickle on the flank with a crop can help get them to start moving again if they freeze up.

Maybe I am extreme
Love your whole post, but especially this! LOL. I have a young horse will be three in a few weeks, I always get crazy questions asking where my spurs, whip, tie down, etc are! I don't NEED them. If my horses is behaving without them, and is perfectly content and listening why have them? I'd proabably just manage more harm then good with a whip/crop anyways. Maybe someone else needs them I don't!

"Every person you will meet will have at least one great quality. Duplicate it and leave the rest." --Clinton Anderson
Annanoel is offline  
post #178 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 15,433
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maura View Post
I rarely chime in on these types of threads, but there are two issues here that I simply can't leave alone.

Calling yourself a "professional" means you make your *living* and support yourself by working with horses. (not the USEF definition, I know.). That definition for me means you're not living with your parents or grandparents, not getting free pasture board at a relative's house and that you actually behave like a business person. If you call yourself a professional, you better be able to produce a list of accomplishments or an income statement.

It GRINDS MT GEARS when someone throws that word around casually, as if it means the same thing as knowledgable or expert. It doesn't.

There are many knowledgable and expert horsepeople who are also amateurs, no problems there. But don't call yourself a professional when your EVERY post on this forum indicates the exact opposite.


Next, the gadget-y stirrups. I haven't tried most of them, though I think the magnet ones might make sense over GP size fences. I do own a pair of the original Herm Sprengers. MY next pair will have the 90 degree turn. I am a 54 year old EX professional with an instructor's certification. Back in the day, I rode anywhere from 5 - 14 horses a day. I have one total knee replacement and need the other done. I have shattered my right ankle and it is held together by screws wire and bone grafts. If I didn't ride in the gadgety stirrups, riding would be too painful.

Go ahead, tell me that I ride in the Herm Sprengers because I'm lazy and ride like crap. Go ahead. Just be prepared to share YOUR professional résumé first. And be sure to tell the dozens of other professionals who ride in them because they allow them to ride more horses with less fatigue.

What else GRINDS MY GEARS? Clueless young backyard horsepeople ranting about things the lack the experience or judgement to understand or the discretion to keep quiet about.

“Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity”
Golden Horse is offline  
post #179 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The land of Enchantment
Posts: 8,362
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassierae View Post
Going off of your post, MissyMay, I hate when people judge because I DO use nylon tack. I LOVE a nice quality leather headstall, but while I was running gymkhana I had a lime green nylon headstall, breastcollar and nosband/tie down(which got removed as our training increased). I loved it because I won it one year for getting reserve champion at the end of the year. Call me lazy, but honestly to clean it you just throw it in the washer and let it air dry. Comes our sparkly clean! At that point in time I couldn't afford a nice headstall, so I used what I had. Doesn't make me any less of a horseperson because of it.
I don't judge a person that uses it, or maybe I do and shouldn't...but I I wouldn't outwardly judge anyone's tack choices - that is simply poor manners.. And, there are a lot of good uses for synthetics such as mariner rope "stuff". I have nylon saddle bags, I can't stand them...but a replacement leather pair are beyond overpriced and had I known that I would have taken better care of them. I dislike the nylon ones so much I rarely every use them..so I might have to give in and shell out for the leathers. I just personally have a thing about nylon. There is a lot of tack (leather and synthetics) out their that isn't suitable for anything other than landfill - that is what I meant by low quality.

Tie downs are another thing I don't use - but, if someone else does... its their horse, their gear, their "reasoning"...and it is absolutely none of my business.

There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it.
Missy May is offline  
post #180 of 192 Old 03-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 74
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy May View Post
I only rode english b/c my daughter "did" hunter/jumper for a while. I actually thought/think the peacock stirrups were a great idea. I believe in quality, so I got her a used county saddle. No matter the discipline - you will see trash gear, and someone must be buying it. While it might be personal preference, I just cringe when I see nylon tack outside of halter on a horse, or see low quality. It isn't a matter of money, b/c anyone can spend just a little more and get quality - used.

On the other hand, there are those people that can afford the best of everything - brand new....and always look picture perfect - even on the trail! I don't know if I am jealous or mad at myself b/c I don't seem to be able to actually use and enjoy using my tack and keep it looking like it is ready for a magazine shot.
I like nylon tack. I prefer good quality leather because it looks nicer and lasts longer, but I also use nylon. I have two headstalls for my horse, one that is leather with silver hearts and cost $75 (admittedly not "top of the line", but it is good quality) and came with split reins that I don't even use (too short for my liking), and one that is plain black nylon and came with long trail reins and a hackamore that I got for $12 at a tack sale. And guess what? Each headstall performs exactly the same. I even prefer the nylon headstall if I'm switching bits because it has buckle bit ends. I wouldn't show in nylon tack, but a lot of people can't afford to buy top of the line gear and nylon is a perfectly good alternative. I also like it for trail riding so I don't mess up my nice headstall. Just because it's not expensive or fancy doesn't mean it's trash.
Faye83 likes this.
reigninseattle is offline  
Reply

Tags
pet peeves , rant , vent , venting , welfare

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What grinds YOUR gears? Horseychick94 Horse Talk 302 01-24-2012 01:21 PM
Too many gears... first time working a gaited horse - help! brackenrose Horse Training 1 03-04-2008 11:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome