What it's like to ride a Champion 5gaited Saddlebred at Louisville. - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 74Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 72 Old 08-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 542
• Horses: 1
I'm sorry, but that's just the Saddlebred's version of the Big Lick Walkers. And many of them are sored just like the Walkers are to get that exagerated gait. Just shameful to say they "love" their horses and then can do such despicable things to them just to show.
Clava likes this.

Live well, laugh often, love deeply...An' it harm none.
FaydesMom is offline  
post #12 of 72 Old 08-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 143
• Horses: 0
I watched this video this morning and loved it. Questions though, what is this "whoop" they say? Is that a cue for go? And why did they leave the ring early? I think I might have missed something.
littleamy76 is offline  
post #13 of 72 Old 08-22-2013, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,493
• Horses: 0
Actually Faydes, you can't sore a saddlebred. If a Saddlebred is sore in any way, he loses ALL motion at the trot. There are other abuses, yes, but soring is not one of them. If soring them created that movement, then I am sure we would be in the same boat as the TWH "show horses". We would have to go through checkers and all that nonsense.

Our biggest problem I would say would be drugging.
Palomine and boots like this.
LadyDreamer is offline  
post #14 of 72 Old 08-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,141
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDreamer View Post
Here is another video of him from last year. 2012 Horse of Honor: CH Courageous Lord - YouTube

Oh yes, he is one of those "not for everyone" kind of horses. He fits into the "all show horse" category. She is most definitely not a timid rider. He wouldn't put up with that. A horse has to be that game, that excited to be a top gaited horse. She does such a great job keeping him in check. I do agree that he would probably run off if he could get away with it.

For the record, she isn't telling him "Whoa". She is not asking him to stop. She is saying "Whoop". There is a BIG difference. LOL. One of my funnier moments was when I was driving a hackney the night before my class. We were going at a good show trot and I saw a road horse coming down the ramp. When I turned, I said "Whoa" instead of "whoop" and my pony slammed to a halt and I wound up in the basket. It was hilarious once I figured out what the heck happened.

Everyone talks to their horses. Easy, whoop, trot, canter, waaaalk. That ear flicking back says he's listening. Talking to your horse does not mean you are nagging or lack confidence. It is just... what people do.

I think now they need to do one of these videos with CH Sprinkles, or a roadster, or a fine harness horse. This was of the TOP. Wow, what a ride!
Ok-some of the time she is saying whoop-but there are several times she is saying "ho" She is definitely asking him to stop or transition down in gait several times when she says it.

I also will ask if it is typical that these horses go so fast through the barn? I think that is rude, frankly, to go running past other horses in their stalls. I have been to lots of shows and never saw that.

Regardless-not my taste. You couldn't pay me to ride one, or even own one.
GamingGrrl likes this.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
post #15 of 72 Old 08-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: On the golden coast of Michigan
Posts: 934
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDreamer View Post
Actually Faydes, you can't sore a saddlebred. If a Saddlebred is sore in any way, he loses ALL motion at the trot. There are other abuses, yes, but soring is not one of them. If soring them created that movement, then I am sure we would be in the same boat as the TWH "show horses". We would have to go through checkers and all that nonsense.

Our biggest problem I would say would be drugging.
I'm going to have to disagree. I've seen Saddlebreds sored before. Actually I've seen many other breeds, other than TWH or Saddlebreds, sored.

For the wretched of the earth there is a flame that never dies.
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.
TheAQHAGirl is offline  
post #16 of 72 Old 08-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 542
• Horses: 1
I was thinking more of the ginger or gingerol in the anus, or the cutting of muscle that the un-natural tail sets require, and such. All is soring to me, sorry for the confusion.

And it's just not the gaited horses that have problems. The western rail horses have their fair share of atrocities done to them as well. And the Arab world.

Sometimes I hate being a human being.

ETA: I'm sorry I'm sounding so bitter, I've been on the receiving end of the byproduct lately with a rescue. There really ARE good people in all of the horse activities. It's just that the bad apples are always the ones making the news and I forget there are many, many more good ones than bad.

Live well, laugh often, love deeply...An' it harm none.

Last edited by FaydesMom; 08-22-2013 at 10:23 PM.
FaydesMom is offline  
post #17 of 72 Old 08-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: On the golden coast of Michigan
Posts: 934
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaydesMom View Post
I was thinking more of the ginger or gingerol in the anus, or the cutting of muscle that the un-natural tail sets require, and such. All is soring to me, sorry for the confusion.

And it's just not the gaited horses that have problems. The western rail horses have their fair share of atrocities done to them as well. And the Arab world.

Sometimes I hate being a human being.

ETA: I'm sorry I'm sounding so bitter, I've been on the receiving end of the byproduct lately with a rescue. There really ARE good people in all of the horse activities. It's just that the bad apples are always the ones making the news and I forget there are many, many more good ones than bad.
Wherever there is something to be won, there will always be that one 'person' out there to do anything to get it...I was at a small futurity a while ago and a girl had a nice QH. The QH had a lovely scar coming down his hamstrings from the dock of the tail. I'm assuming that a horse with that kind of scar had obviously been injected and got a infection.

For the wretched of the earth there is a flame that never dies.
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.
TheAQHAGirl is offline  
post #18 of 72 Old 08-22-2013, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,493
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
Ok-some of the time she is saying whoop-but there are several times she is saying "ho" She is definitely asking him to stop or transition down in gait several times when she says it.

I also will ask if it is typical that these horses go so fast through the barn? I think that is rude, frankly, to go running past other horses in their stalls. I have been to lots of shows and never saw that.

Regardless-not my taste. You couldn't pay me to ride one, or even own one.
No worries here! I doubt you would get many offers.

And yep. There are many barn set ups where the barn aisle is also used for under saddle work. There are some set ups where the stalls are in the middle with a work track around. You have some where the stalls are on either side, with the workway in the middle. And then you have the "normal" barns with the section for horses and stalls, and various separate work areas. Usually based on how much money the barn owner has. LOL!

Either way, generally speaking, a horse working at full tilt, even with people on the ground shaking whips and making noise isn't going to phase the horses in the stalls. The horses at this particular show would have to be having a really off day to freak out over another horse working, as this is the World Championship Horse Show. 99% of the horses have been off the farm a couple times and have seen the bustle.

As for Whoop and Ho, he did calmly stop and stand at several points during the class. Which does tell a lot about the training and handling. Not all are like my pony who will go from show trot to stop in a tenth of a second. As crazy as it sounds(being literal not sarcastic), the gaits are what matter and not the transitions from gait to gait. If you aren't in a pleasure class, you don't even have to have a legitimate walk. You can even struggle a little bit getting into your gait, you can break gait, make mistakes, etc and still have a chance if your horse is good enough. Best to not do those things for long, or in front of the judges, but yes.

Unlike a lot of other breeds/divisions where every little thing is scrutinized. "He took two half steps when asked to stop. DISQUALIFIED!" Haha.
Palomine likes this.
LadyDreamer is offline  
post #19 of 72 Old 08-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 3,254
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAQHAGirl View Post
I'm going to have to disagree. I've seen Saddlebreds sored before. Actually I've seen many other breeds, other than TWH or Saddlebreds, sored.

How do you sore a trotting horse? Or rather, why? It would make them lame. I don't think anyone wants their show horse head bobbing lame. It would be incredibly obvious. And not SQUARE.


I have to say... I'd love to ride that horse. What a thrill.
Palomine and natisha like this.
Brighteyes is offline  
post #20 of 72 Old 08-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: On the golden coast of Michigan
Posts: 934
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighteyes View Post
How do you sore a trotting horse? Or rather, why? It would make them lame. I don't think anyone wants their show horse head bobbing lame. It would be incredibly obvious. And not SQUARE.


I have to say... I'd love to ride that horse. What a thrill.
I couldn't answer 'how'. I would have to ask the people who did it, they were excused from the ring with obvious sore marks on the horse's pasterns. Maybe he wasn't sored and possibly chains instead.

For the wretched of the earth there is a flame that never dies.
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.
TheAQHAGirl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictures from Rodeo in Louisville, KY ericp502 Rodeo 4 11-30-2012 03:19 PM
Boarding/training available Louisville, Ky horstrainir123 Horse Boarding 2 06-22-2012 12:25 AM
Boarding needed in Louisville area. Elliebug Horse Boarding 4 05-21-2012 01:44 PM
WCA E-Ternal Angell, sired by HG Esquire+ East Coast Champion & Reserve Champion HGEsquire Horses for Sale 9 09-28-2011 07:02 AM
Need a new boarding barn around east LOUISVILLE KY - FAST!!! janetd Barn Maintenance 0 08-01-2008 11:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome