This is a picture I took of the beetle. (sorry if it is really big.)
Here is some information on these Black Blister Beetles.
Blister Beetle adults feed on leaves in the tops of a plant but are especially attracted to flowers where they feed on nectar and pollen. Blister beetles produce cantharidin
, a poisonous substance comparable to cyanide and strychnine in toxicity. The substance, stored in the insects' blood, is very stable and remains toxic in dead beetles. Animals may be poisoned by ingesting beetles while grazing or eating harvested silage.
Cantharidin can also cause severe skin inflammation and blisters. Taken internally, as little as 10 milligrams can be fatal in humans.
Here is a link to more information than what I gave. Black Blister Beetle - Epicauta pennsylvanica
I have seen these in our garden, just hanging around on our flowers, not causing us or the flowers any harm. But we were very interested i what they were because they were on almost all of our flowers.
I search black garden bugs and found these.
We thought they were harmless because they weren't hurting anyone or anything.
But once we read about them we were pretty surprised.
I thought I might share it with you, because it said it may be deadly to animals and humans. And because I thought that was pretty interesting.