Who in their right mind would name a horse Pogrom? - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 179Likes
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 83 Old 06-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,880
• Horses: 0
Some interesting registered names I found:

1. Little Hitler - JC made the owners change the registered name before his first race
2. No Fat Chicks - JC registered
3. Reggin - Spelt backwards? AQHA registered
4. Date More Minors - JC registered

And my favorite: Comply or Die - JC registered
deserthorsewoman likes this.
Muppetgirl is offline  
post #22 of 83 Old 06-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 918
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideStop View Post
Regardless of what the word was intended to mean if I group of people is using it with offensive intent it's wrong. Period.

For example, a guy in England says "Hey, do you have an extra fag?" he is merely asking for a cigarette. There is no offence backing the word, to my understanding. Across the pond when a little boy wants to be in a dance classes and his parents/siblings/friends call his "you stupid fag" that's wrong... And don't try to come back with saying "Oh, they are just calling him a cigarette". If you truely believe that they are just calling him a cigarette I really feel terrible for you as that shows just how naieve and ignorant you are.
Posted via Mobile Device
so with that, that means that you believe the stud owner is using it in the negative connotation which put you in a bad light since they very well could be using it in the term that I posted.
deserthorsewoman likes this.

People with true credibility and integrity don't need to tell other people how great they are.
MsBHavin is offline  
post #23 of 83 Old 06-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,053
• Horses: 3
Quote:
"Hey, do you have an extra fag?" he is merely asking for a cigarette. There is no offence backing the word, to my understanding. Across the pond when a little boy wants to be in a dance classes and his parents/siblings/friends call his "you stupid fag" that's wrong...
just this. another example; "gay" originally ment, esensially, happy, but you wouldnt be likely to find a horse named "little gay dancer" or "gay secret" approved or accepted, as people would likely be offended. You can explain "it means happy secret" until your blue in the face, its not going to change the fact that some people wont like it, and will read the wrong message.

I grew up in a hugely multi cultural area, and its easy for meanings to get confused when various languages are involved. If you say the wrong thing, you applogise, make it right, and move on.
BlueSpark is offline  
post #24 of 83 Old 06-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,669
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBHavin View Post
so with that, that means that you believe the stud owner is using it in the negative connotation which put you in a bad light since they very well could be using it in the term that I posted.
Well, if the Poles have a long history of antisemitism I doubt they are using it to mean "distraction". Even if they aren't, there is obviously a STRONG correlation with the word in that country. Just like no one uses the word fag here with innocent intent, and I'm sure no one uses the word pogrom with innocent intent in an antisemitic place.
Posted via Mobile Device
SlideStop is offline  
post #25 of 83 Old 06-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,801
• Horses: 0
Okay, now I feel offended because I think you called me stupid and ignorant. I feel offended because my mother was bombed out three times by American and British military during the war. I feel offended because my father died off his injuries from this war. I feel offended because dbarabians doesn't buy anything German NOW because of what happened many years ago,way before I was born. I could go on and on.
I wouldn't have time to do anything constructive if I would have to constantly think about what offends me.
If a horse's name is such a disturbance, don't use it for breeding and write a letter to the breeder asking for a name change. But please keep an open mind and give people the benefit of the doubt.
And yes, I might not be politically correct, so hate me for that....after all, I am the German.....geez.....
deserthorsewoman is offline  
post #26 of 83 Old 06-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,669
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSpark View Post
just this. another example; "gay" originally ment, esensially, happy, but you wouldnt be likely to find a horse named "little gay dancer" or "gay secret" approved or accepted, as people would likely be offended. You can explain "it means happy secret" until your blue in the face, its not going to change the fact that some people wont like it, and will read the wrong message.

I grew up in a hugely multi cultural area, and its easy for meanings to get confused when various languages are involved. If you say the wrong thing, you applogise, make it right, and move on.
Your right "gay" means happy and joyous. If someone names a horse "gay dancer", cool. I'm gay, that doesn't offend me. If they name the horse "Gay Boy Killer", that is.... Wrong again!

...ps, there will always be people who take things way out of context or take things over the top. I don't condone that either.
Posted via Mobile Device
MsBHavin likes this.
SlideStop is offline  
post #27 of 83 Old 06-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,408
• Horses: 5
This makes me sad.

First, that (after doing a little research) it's pretty obvious what the widely recognized meaning of the word is. It's hard not to judge intent, but it is almost obvious that this is done with no good intentions.

Secondly, IF it was done to 'send a message' or offend people of a certain ethnicity, it makes me sad that it has so negatively affected a personal friend of mine.

dba .. if you believe the intent was to enflame ... DON'T LET THEM.

Yes, I would petition AHA, but I doubt they will change the name .. especially if he's already been bred.

I would boycott that horse, any of his get, and possibly barns associated with them ... but DON"T LET THEM STEAL YOUR JOY!

You can't control the actions of other folks, my friend, only your reaction to them.

It would be a shame to lose you as an AHA supporter .. and, again, let them win ... IF this was done with the worse intentions, what would they like more than to run the Jews off?

Poor horse .. with a name like that ..

Don't let'em get to ya, my friend. YOU have more value than some stupid, idiot, anti-semitic word.

Love you, man... *hugs*
texasgal is offline  
post #28 of 83 Old 06-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 918
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideStop View Post
Well, if the Poles have a long history of antisemitism I doubt they are using it to mean "distraction". Even if they aren't, there is obviously a STRONG correlation with the word in that country. Just like no one uses the word fag here with innocent intent, and I'm sure no one uses the word pogrom with innocent intent in an antisemitic place.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh! Well that just clears it up then! So you're saying that EVERY polish person (myself included) is an antisemitic! Thanks for filling me in on that, I'll have to let my dad know that he shouldn't have married a Jewish woman. *eyeroll*

Pogrom doesn't mean 'distraction' it means 'to destroy' and watching a video of said horse I could very well see why they'd have named him that. He seems like a PITA, who would take things on and 'destroy' them.


DB, since this name is highly offensive to you. Why not spend your time bettering peoples knowledge of the term vs trying to 'take on' the owner of the horse. I'd start with the high population of Aryan brothers in texas, vs one horses name.

People with true credibility and integrity don't need to tell other people how great they are.

Last edited by MsBHavin; 06-05-2013 at 10:58 AM.
MsBHavin is offline  
post #29 of 83 Old 06-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 6,746
• Horses: 12
I won't lose sleep over it, but I do find it in poor taste.
However, this stallion is staying in the front of peoples minds so I can't help but think that was some of their intent.
texasgal and Muppetgirl like this.

Whispering Secret Arabians
Registered Solid and Sabino Arabians
www.wsarabians.wix.com/home
WSArabians is offline  
post #30 of 83 Old 06-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,669
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBHavin View Post
Oh! Well that just clears it up then! So you're saying that EVERY polish person (myself included) is an antisemitic! Thanks for filling me in on that, I'll have to let my dad know that he shouldn't have married a Jewish woman. *eyeroll*

Pogrom doesn't mean 'distraction' it means 'to destroy' and watching a video of said horse I could very well see why they'd have named him that. He seems like a PITA, who would take things on and 'destroy' them.


DB, since this name is highly offensive to you. Why not spend your time bettering peoples knowledge of the term vs trying to 'take on' the owner of the horse. I'd start with the high population of Aryan brothers in texas, vs one horses name.
NO, I'm not saying every last person in Poland has antisemitic views, I'm saying the country, as a whole, has those feelings or has had a history of those feelings towards Jewish people. It's no secret people in the middle east don't like gay people. Is it every single person? Probably not, but that is the typical view of the country. If anyone on this forum knows me and my political views I'm the last person to judge and lump people into categories.

And yes, distraction was a auto correct oops. It should of said destruction. My. Bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
SlideStop is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Horse's Mind, and their bond with humans TheBayArab Horse Talk 17 01-13-2013 12:50 AM
Horse mind reading? JetAndGoldie Horse Riding & Horse Activity 20 08-27-2012 08:38 PM
huge horse with a mind of his own mcgillrobyn Horse Training 32 08-30-2010 05:22 PM
horse has lost her mind snoggle Horse Training 14 11-11-2009 05:40 PM
Horse Mind and Passion... BluMagic Horse Talk 3 10-28-2007 07:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome