Horse pulling back and Barn Freakouts. - Page 7 - The Horse Forum
 314Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 119 Old 05-03-2019, 10:36 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 309
• Horses: 4
Does he have sensitive skin? Is there any static in his coat? I have different brushes for Salty and have to use static guard spray in his brushes.

There is discomfort or anticipation of discomfort in that horse's expression and behavior..
loosie and JoBlueQuarter like this.
Cedar & Salty is offline  
post #62 of 119 Old 05-03-2019, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9,239
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerR View Post
I figured he was kicking and stomping due to flies since I was out of fly spray (picked some up this morning)

Iím sorry but I canít even process the thought of selling him.He could end up in a bad situation, or something could happen to him and I just canít deal with that.
From a different thread you were contemplating body clipping your horses...
With his reaction to flies with a full summer coat of hair on him and you want to remove much of it??
He will take your head off striking at , kicking out and leg swinging at his underbelly...
He is super sensitive to touch of anything and not very tolerant either...
Think real hard at what he is going to become with flies harassing him near 24/7...and they aren't "tough" yet either.

The comment about selling him you made...
If you think the situation he finds himself in now is good...its not.
What happens if he hurts you? Seriously hurts you?
Do you truly think your parents are going to keep him around?
I can tell you if he hurt me he would be gone by my parents hand when I was a kid...
You need to think this with your head not your heart...
You were in love with Justice...everything was Justice and you couldn't live without him...
Yet you did, and you don't own him and the world did not blow apart either.
Bee is the same way...if you sold him you could pick the kind of home, the kind of owner he found...
If something happens to you, seriously happens, if you were my kid that horse having a part of the calamity would be on the first truck to a sale barn or riding horse auction, fact!
Think not with your heart alone, but with your head about what is best for Bee...for Bee!
Sorry, I don't mean to be cruel to you...but be very aware of what could happen if the unthinkable does...that is why no home is a "forever" in true honesty.
Do indeed make plans to work with a trainer.. but please, please also realize your limitations so you remain safe...cause right now Bees actions are putting you in grave jeopardy as are your reactions to his actions.
You got guts kid...just remember you aren't Wonder Women or some super hero but a human, mortal and we do get hurt, hurt bad sometimes.
...
loosie and JoBlueQuarter like this.

The worst day is instantly better when shared with my horse.....

Last edited by horselovinguy; 05-03-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: good grief my typos....
horselovinguy is online now  
post #63 of 119 Old 05-03-2019, 11:14 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 309
• Horses: 4
The benefit of cowboy training...

This is how two of my local professional trainer friends start their work days. Every horse is caught and tied, and they stand patiently until it is their turn, then they stand patiently until the training rides are done and everyone is put up. Ranch horses are not "shut down," as others may suggest. They are TRAINED to stand patiently tied and relax and rest until it is time to work. It is about taking the time to TRAIN good behavior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1556896002178.jpg (150.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1556896066268.jpg (105.7 KB, 6 views)
loosie, rambo99 and JoBlueQuarter like this.
Cedar & Salty is offline  
post #64 of 119 Old 05-03-2019, 04:42 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 309
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerR View Post
Iím guessing he is afraid of being tied based on his behavior.

Chase was standing on the crossties about 10 feet away from him and he still does it.
I
have tied him all over the barn and barn yard and he still does it.

He has done it with me, the girl I let ride him, and the BO.

If heís just standing there doing nothing heís normally fine, yesterday the first blowup happened after I started brushing him, however he was always sassy about tacking up, even before I got him.
4
I tried having someone stand and hold the lead rope and he did it anyways.

I figured he was kicking and stomping due to flies since I was out of fly spray (picked some up this morning)
If he stands quietly tied when no one is messing with him, I doubt he's afraid of being TIED.

If he gets worried and acts up when someone is holding the leadrope, it's not about being TIED.

I think you need to explore what he is worrying about during grooming, tacking and/or being ridden. He is worried about being hurt by a person doing an activity while he is tied. When you figure that fear out, your problem will be solved.
Cedar & Salty is offline  
post #65 of 119 Old 05-03-2019, 05:54 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 74
• Horses: 3
All that horse needs is a good full day or three of being tied to a tree. Tie him to a sturdy branch above his head or drill a tie ring up there. I would wake up (around 6am), feed the horses, tie them to the tree, leave water out there (make sure it was in reach), go back out around 7pm, untie, feed, put him/her in a small paddock or stall IF they're hard to catch, and I'd do it over a day or two. Hard headed ones went on about a week.
Dez4455 is offline  
post #66 of 119 Old 05-03-2019, 06:54 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 6,172
• Horses: 0
Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see him even remotely try to set back in that video?

The foot stamping and kicking was horrible. I don't know if it's flies or just agitation, but the stomping was horrible. I wouldn't ride him (personally) until he quit stomping. Maybe all that would take is fly spray, I don't know. He did relax towards the end of the video for a bit, which is good.

My very first horse would set back randomly. He could have gotten us hurt on several occasions. Once they set back, I would always expect them to do it, but I "cured" him by tying him solid with a rope halter. A "Be Nice" halter actually. I found out later you aren't supposed to tie in those. But he was my first horse and I was dumb and it worked, he learned to come forward off of pressure. But don't do what I did.

Re-homing a horse you are afraid of isn't a bad idea at all. It's actually what I would recommend. But I know it's hard, I just did that recently with a horse I raised from a baby. It broke my heart. But I realized that if I kept going the way I was going pretty soon I would be too afraid to ride at all, and I didn't want to give up riding. Plus, I had a neighbor that was admiring my horse since he was born. So in the end it was an easy decision......once I realized that I didn't want to give up riding but I was becoming too scared to ride. And the horse has a great home and is doing great at his new place (I've ridden with them several times).

So anyway, those are my thoughts. Best of luck.
loosie and JoBlueQuarter like this.

There's a lot of stupid out there!
trailhorserider is offline  
post #67 of 119 Old 05-03-2019, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 19,458
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerR View Post
I wanted to get the tie ring. However the BO said that she doesn't think we should. Its not necessarily that I have to listen to what she says, but it is her barn and I can't go drilling things into
If you have a look at what a 'Blocker Tie Ring' or 'The Clip' is, you'll see there's no need to be drilling anything into anywhere. BTW I notice at the end of your post you say you'll order one & 'hopefully it works' - as with anything, it's not an automatic 'quick fix'. It will NOT 'work' without training.

Quote:
There is no other place for me to tack up because in my pasture he would easily pull down anything I tied him to.
YOU DON"T NEED TO TIE HIM UP and considering what you've told us, you ABSOLUTELY SHOULDN'T be tying this horse up at this point!! You are only setting it up to make for a major wreck and a horse who can't be tied, continuing doing what you're doing! And if you keep doing what you've always done & got the same results, it's not all that likely that if you just keep doing it, you're going to get any different results.

Quote:
The reason the girth saddle was on and the girth was attached for so long without me finishing it was because the way he was standing was sideways,
Yes, whatever your reason, I was explaining what a potential wreck you were causing in doing that.

Quote:
The reason for the double halters was because when he does it we can't let him get away with breaking loose.
So... you'd rather just let him do it & break himself instead??

Quote:
I had to tie him up. If he doesn't get ridden consistently then he'll buck and develop other bad habits.
Again, no you DON'T have to tie him up, in order to tack him up or otherwise. And if he bucks etc under saddle, there are more big problems it sounds like you're ignoring...

Quote:
Also, yes, I am afraid of him, very afraid.
So you're not doing yourself any favours. Definitely doing the horse no favours. Why not find him a good home with someone who knows how to handle a horse like this.

Some info I've found helpful; [COLOR=Lime][B]www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hoof-lameness-info-horse-owners-89836/
For taking critique pics; [COLOR=Lime][B]https://www.horseforum.com/members/41...res-128437.jpg
loosie is offline  
post #68 of 119 Old 05-03-2019, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 19,458
• Horses: 0
[quote=DreamerR;1970715087]
Quote:
Originally Posted by horselovinguy View Post

Iím sorry but I canít even process the thought of selling him. He could end up in a bad situation,
You need to start thinking rationally. He IS in a bad situation now!
Golden Horse likes this.

Some info I've found helpful; [COLOR=Lime][B]www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hoof-lameness-info-horse-owners-89836/
For taking critique pics; [COLOR=Lime][B]https://www.horseforum.com/members/41...res-128437.jpg
loosie is offline  
post #69 of 119 Old 05-03-2019, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 19,458
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar & Salty View Post
Ranch horses are not "shut down," as others may suggest. They are TRAINED to stand patiently tied and relax and rest until it is time to work. It is about taking the time to TRAIN good behavior.
Last 2 sentences there repeated for emphasis, as it's well worth repeating.

1st sentence above, I guess that's regarding a comment I made on another thread, which I may have put badly, so I then further explained there, but maybe you missed... I for one, have not at all said that 'ranch horses are shut down', as a general ranch horse 'thing'(or any other 'class' of horse I can think of) but I said that many horses, trained in certain ways, including ranch horses, are 'shut down'.

Some info I've found helpful; [COLOR=Lime][B]www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hoof-lameness-info-horse-owners-89836/
For taking critique pics; [COLOR=Lime][B]https://www.horseforum.com/members/41...res-128437.jpg
loosie is offline  
post #70 of 119 Old 05-03-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 378
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie View Post

You need to start thinking rationally. He IS in a bad situation now!
Sorry but I have to say I have a different opinion of this. He is in a home where he gets fed properly, ridden consistently, and is extremely loved on. I make sure his hooves are taken care of, I get his teeth checked, and he’s happily munching on hay and grazing with a horse he’s bonded with. He also has a 100% guarantee that he will never be sent to a slaughterhouse, or put in a pasture and sit for years.

He has developed a bad habit. And whatever is needed will be done to help him. Need that be a tie ring, or a trainer.

I put my heart and resources into making sure that they are healthy and content. I know he has something that needs to be dealt with, and it is being dealt with. I really do not appreciate being told that he is in a bad situation because he is most definitely not.
DreamerR is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Evasion of contact by pulling neck & head back & up & hollowing back when out hacking x Heidi x Horse Riding & Horse Activity 5 01-30-2012 10:26 AM
Pulling Back petitepyromaniac Horse Training 20 03-02-2011 12:36 AM
Pulling back at the hitching post wheeler4x4 Horse Grooming 4 12-22-2010 10:55 PM
Pulling back and passing out jdanny21 Horse Training 8 06-30-2010 01:15 PM
Pulling Back AQHA Horse Training 10 03-19-2010 12:18 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome