A Balancing Act - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 50Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 Old 08-07-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 279
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperLove View Post
The two of you look good together :) I wanted to chime in after I read your first post...
Aw, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperLove View Post
If you are having trouble with time-management, look up "calendar blocking"!

It's all about visually planning your week out and putting it down somewhere, preferably in literal colored-in blocks. You can do it in a paper planner, a bullet journal, or a digital calendar like Google Calendar (I tend to do mine this way now since I sit in front of a computer most of the day for work, but I did it in an hourly paper planer before I started this job.)

If you want to try it and go the paper planner rout, I highly recommend the "Passion Planner", it has additional space for recording your monthly and weekly goals. But, any daily planner that sections out days by the hour will work. I never liked regular journaling but I LOVE visually taking my life-schedule into my own hands. I think since you've already lined out specific goals for yourself, and you mention that your journaling here helps you keep track of horse-related things but not school, it would help you keep track of things, balance your time, and I think you'd enjoy it too!
Thank you for the suggestion! I've tried normal diaries and stuff before; my problem is that I never check them. I think that your idea would work well though, because I like colouring stuff in and making it all pretty. I just looked up Passion Planner as well, and they're super cute. I'll definitely look into getting one! Thank you again D
knightrider likes this.

duskexx is offline  
post #12 of 32 Old 08-07-2019, 10:24 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 358
• Horses: 1
@duskexx Oh I also forgot to mention! (I was just looking on their website because telling you about them reminded me how much I love them ) They have a "Free Downloads" section on their website where you can download your choice of interior, totally free. You can then print it off and hole-punch it to put in a binder, or if you have a local print shop they can probably spiral bind and put a cover on it for you a lot cheaper than you can buy one off the site. That's what I did when I was using one constantly... I would download the interior, print it and spiral bind it with a laminated cover of my own artwork and whatever backing the print-shop had. So don't think you HAVE to spend $35 to get the planner. You can download the pages for free and try it out first and make whatever cover you want.
knightrider and duskexx like this.

"I am the one thing in life I can control. I am inimitable I am an original. Iím not falling behind or running late. Iím not standing still I am lying in wait." - Wait For It
CopperLove is online now  
post #13 of 32 Old 08-07-2019, 10:41 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Hildreth, FL
Posts: 2,699
• Horses: 5
Quote:
I want to do cross country on my little brother's pony, who is really chill about it, to gain confidence, but my parents say I have to work through it on Ninja first so...I dunno.
How much do your parents understand about fear and riding? Most of the time when you are anxious about doing a certain activity with a certain horse, it does not work very well to just keep trying to do it. I'm not saying it can't be done, but for most people, it works better if they can do that activity with a quiet safe calm horse. They keep doing it with the calm horse until they feel really confident, then they can try again with the horse that worries them. Do your parents know this?

Making you continue doing cross country with Ninja might not be the best way to overcome your fear. It tends to make the fear worse for many people.
duskexx likes this.
knightrider is offline  
post #14 of 32 Old 08-07-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 279
• Horses: 2
@CopperLove , I just got the free 3 month one in the emails! I'm gonna print it off at school tomorrow (well, some of it, I'd look weird standing there printing 50 pages!)

@knightrider , I'm not sure. I think they might be overestimating how confident I am? Or maybe they don't know how different he is? I guess they might not want me to ruin the horse either...I suppose I should just ask them again. I think if I got a lesson on Ninja at a cross country course with my instructor, even if it was normal schooling, it would help a lot. Because most of it is that I don't actually think I can stop whatever he throws at me - especially when there are other horses. He ran up another horse's butt, and I didn't stop him in time. I'm really lucky that horse didn't double barrel him.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'll speak to them. Thank you both!
knightrider and CopperLove like this.

duskexx is offline  
post #15 of 32 Old 08-07-2019, 02:54 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 292
• Horses: 0
Quote:
I think I'll teach him to neckrein in the arena first, and then do bareback, then start just using a neckstrap with a bridle there just in case. He's only 5, so he doesn't know a lot yet. I did try getting on bareback right off the bat once, with no tack warmup, and he bolted when I was getting on >.<

That's a good plan to start. Keep in mind what Avna mentioned about riding tackless being a finishing act. There is quite a bit of training under tack before one can successfully ride without. Not just neck reining, but your horse should be able to stop, go and turn with seat, as well as be able to bend and perform lateral without the help of any rein. Train so that your horse is moving off the smallest possible cue you can make. If he moves off X amount of leg, try getting him to move sideways off an even smaller amount of pressure. if he is moving well off leg, see If he will move off seat alone etc.



Quote:
Had the first private lesson in a while (my brother got a detention, the loser) - godDAMN was it hard!! He was using his hindend and really pushing, especially in the trot. We covered so much ground, it felt like 3 strides for the entire longside! We were struggling in the canter though...he was still picking up the wrong lead on the left rein consistantly, and he wouldn't turn! Had to run him into the fence, and I got my leg crushed against it :((( But all in all, we learnt a lot! I definitely want to do more private lessons - just maybe in a couple more weeks lol.

Has he always had difficulty in turning in the canter? have you investigated if this is a physical issue?



I ask this because It reminds me of what has happened with my horse in the past. he started having subtle difficulty turning to the left (wouldn't turn with only my seat), then it very slowly became worse and worse. He'd do everything else okay and never looked off, so my trainers thought he was just stiff. However, I had the suspicion that it was something else as he was never a horse to fight against me. I went through a few vets until we finally found out his coffin bone on the left was tipped and unlevel due to shoeing! Once that was fixed, that problem went away. Of course, It could also just be training, but I thought I'd mention It just in case.



Quote:
Clean up our presentation. We look kind of scruffy. Nothing too extreme, I donít think. Just clipping the long hairs off his legs and jaw/neck, keeping his mane out of the way, plus whatever I have to do for my uniform and all that.

You two already look good, but here are a few ideas to polish up your uniform for shows and events:
  • Tuck in your polo shirt and add a belt
  • Add a pair of clean half chaps
  • Add a pair of black gloves
  • french braid hair. For a show: french braid your hair and then run the end of the braid up and underneath the french braid and secure into place. Then, add a hairnet.
  • secure the extra nylon material from your helmet out of the way. I do this by using black braiding elastics as extra keepers, then twist the left over material around the harness, so that It is not hanging down.
duskexx likes this.
Jolly101 is offline  
post #16 of 32 Old 08-07-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 279
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly101 View Post
That's a good plan to start. Keep in mind what Avna mentioned about riding tackless being a finishing act. There is quite a bit of training under tack before one can successfully ride without. Not just neck reining, but your horse should be able to stop, go and turn with seat, as well as be able to bend and perform lateral without the help of any rein. Train so that your horse is moving off the smallest possible cue you can make. If he moves off X amount of leg, try getting him to move sideways off an even smaller amount of pressure. if he is moving well off leg, see If he will move off seat alone etc.
Thank you for the other steps! I've been trying to get him to halt off of just seat - and I guess turning would be putting your weight on different sides? Some instructors have been teaching that, and he actually does move off of it a bit. I think I could be giving him rein and leg queues as well subconsciously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly101 View Post
Has he always had difficulty in turning in the canter? have you investigated if this is a physical issue?



I ask this because It reminds me of what has happened with my horse in the past. he started having subtle difficulty turning to the left (wouldn't turn with only my seat), then it very slowly became worse and worse. He'd do everything else okay and never looked off, so my trainers thought he was just stiff. However, I had the suspicion that it was something else as he was never a horse to fight against me. I went through a few vets until we finally found out his coffin bone on the left was tipped and unlevel due to shoeing! Once that was fixed, that problem went away. Of course, It could also just be training, but I thought I'd mention It just in case.
Yeah, it's been there since I first started riding. In the beginning, he couldn't do a circle at all because of how unbalanced he was. Now he can, but there are times he's great and other times he goes back a few steps. He went really well last ride though. If it's irregular, would that just be training, or how he is feeling on that day?

I did get the massage person out, and the only place he was stiff/tense was in his jaw and neck - maybe that could have affected it? And I'm getting the saddle fitter out, but I think it would fit fine cos' his back wasn't sore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly101 View Post
You two already look good, but here are a few ideas to polish up your uniform for shows and events:
  • Tuck in your polo shirt and add a belt
  • Add a pair of clean half chaps
  • Add a pair of black gloves
  • french braid hair. For a show: french braid your hair and then run the end of the braid up and underneath the french braid and secure into place. Then, add a hairnet.
  • secure the extra nylon material from your helmet out of the way. I do this by using black braiding elastics as extra keepers, then twist the left over material around the harness, so that It is not hanging down.
Thanks! I'll use your tips. Time to go to the shops again, haha!
knightrider likes this.

duskexx is offline  
post #17 of 32 Old 08-07-2019, 11:14 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 292
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Thank you for the other steps! I've been trying to get him to halt off of just seat - and I guess turning would be putting your weight on different sides? Some instructors have been teaching that, and he actually does move off of it a bit. I think I could be giving him rein and leg queues as well subconsciously
Yes and no. It's harder to describe, but I think the video below does a good job of It. It's really the whole upper body + hips that influences the weight. So as she describes, when you look in your direction of travel, your shoulders turn and hips, which puts more weight on your inner seat bone. When you become aware of It and only use as much as needed, then your horse becomes more attune to It.

Since everything is all related, your weight cue can mean different things, depending on what your legs and shoulders are doing. Leg yielding sideways can be a direct shift in weight to the outside, but your upper body and both legs stay as if you are travelling straight. You can use the same weight cue in order to widen a circle (spiraling out), but your upper body and legs ask the horse to stay in a bend.


Quote:
Yeah, it's been there since I first started riding. In the beginning, he couldn't do a circle at all because of how unbalanced he was. Now he can, but there are times he's great and other times he goes back a few steps. He went really well last ride though. If it's irregular, would that just be training, or how he is feeling on that day?

I did get the massage person out, and the only place he was stiff/tense was in his jaw and neck - maybe that could have affected it? And I'm getting the saddle fitter out, but I think it would fit fine cos' his back wasn't sore.
It could be a matter of training If he has done It since the beginning, but I'd keep an eye on It just in case. I like to keep a log for health and training. Anytime I have difficulty in a certain exercise or direction, I jot it down. I also write down If the vet, farrier or chiro mention something in particular and If I personally notice If the horse looks sore. That way, you can compare notes and see If there is a reoccurring pattern If something does come up in the future.
knightrider likes this.
Jolly101 is offline  
post #18 of 32 Old 08-08-2019, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 279
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly101 View Post
Yes and no. It's harder to describe, but I think the video below does a good job of It. It's really the whole upper body + hips that influences the weight. So as she describes, when you look in your direction of travel, your shoulders turn and hips, which puts more weight on your inner seat bone. When you become aware of It and only use as much as needed, then your horse becomes more attune to It.

Since everything is all related, your weight cue can mean different things, depending on what your legs and shoulders are doing. Leg yielding sideways can be a direct shift in weight to the outside, but your upper body and both legs stay as if you are travelling straight. You can use the same weight cue in order to widen a circle (spiraling out), but your upper body and legs ask the horse to stay in a bend.
Neat, I'll check out that video! I want to learn how to use subtler queues, so I think it'll be really good to learn this stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly101 View Post
It could be a matter of training If he has done It since the beginning, but I'd keep an eye on It just in case. I like to keep a log for health and training. Anytime I have difficulty in a certain exercise or direction, I jot it down. I also write down If the vet, farrier or chiro mention something in particular and If I personally notice If the horse looks sore. That way, you can compare notes and see If there is a reoccurring pattern If something does come up in the future.
That's a good idea! I'll start writing down all that - I have the notes from the massues and my mum is an equine padaeotherapist, so she can tell me anything that's wrong with his feet. Plus all the riding and behaviour stuff.
knightrider likes this.

duskexx is offline  
post #19 of 32 Old 08-08-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 279
• Horses: 2
Finishing up a school project & waiting for something to finish downloading. Figured I'd put a quick update in here while I'm waiting!

Haven't managed to ride since Monday, though I wasn't expecting to, honestly. This rotation is finishing up so all of the assignments and tests are due this week. But, I'm hoping to get Ninja out tomorrow and give him a good groom. I should probably ride, but I'm not really feeling up to it. Plus, his tail is looking disgusting so I want to fix it up.

I am going to ride on Saturday though! I'm taking Ninja to the Riders without Horses program, so we can play with the soccer ball. I'm really excited, I haven't done anything fun like this since we did polocrosse months ago.

Anywho it's done now, so I'll update tomorrow after the grooming.

Also I printed off the first couple of sheets for the planner, and I'm gonna fill them out after I've done with this D
knightrider likes this.

duskexx is offline  
post #20 of 32 Old 08-08-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 279
• Horses: 2
Well this had to be the most inconvenient time to start storming! Seriously, it hasn't so much as drizzled in weeks and it decides to do this now? D:<

I got a day of school, at least, cos a tree fell at the gate. But there's nothing I can do at home because it's raining so much. Hope it clears up soon at least.

Oh, and riders without horses is going to be canceled. No soccer for us!

Oh well. I'll stop complaining now. Was just kinda annoyed. It's easing up now a bit.

duskexx is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.




Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome