it looks like we might be right back to square one... I seem to reset myself a lot. I'm not a vet, nor would ever want to be, but all my experiences of vets have been bad. People who tout their alleged degree and charge left and right just because they can, and with the assumption that horse owners have money. I have money enough to afford Tyra, but eating regularly is rare now. I try not too mooch off of mom and dad although they give me some cash for gas when I need it. I'm not living in a cardboard box or anything, but if I was I probably would be if it weren't for my mom and dad helping.
People don't understand how expensive california is. 1.8million for a house around here is CHEAP. That's a steal. And yet everyone assumes it must be a mansion when that is how much you must spend for a 1 level ranch home.
So you see the issue when one talks about prices? Especially vet prices? While one person can get their vet down to do vaccines at $150 a visit, mine charged me almost $400 for a 30 minute appointment. At that price point I should have done them myself.
So why would I trust vets, especially when they seem to only care about money? Yeah, they need to pay for their business but there are things that deserve to be expensive and things that don't. I feel vets should tailor their price points based on the financial situation of their clients. That, or don't offer services to people who can't afford it. That way we all know where we stand.
I showed Tyra's x rays to a track vet I found online, who found me through a facebook post on my mare's papers. He wanted to help me find a way to get her documentation and asked why it was so important? I told him about the injury, and the fact that when it happened mattered so much to her career as a jumper. If she fractured it at the track during the one year time gap when she left racing and returned, that meant she probably would be fine. But if she fractured it upon leaving the track, that gave more credibility to our first vet's prognosis...
So now we are right back to the nail biting, pacing anxiety that started my terror that any bad step would instigate the tendon tear that the vet promised would happen. Within 2 months. I remember neurotically checking her legs three times a day, looking for any kind of swelling. I did so many self-lameness tests that Tyra probably thought she'd been sent to a crazy owner. How could I trust she was sound when I didn't even KNOW she was lame to begin with, and apparently "magical dr zee" saw something nobody else did?
All I want is for someone to tell me "if it was going to happen it would have happened. The fact that it hasn't happened means it probably will never happen." One vet got close to telling me something like that, but they all don't want to give me unnecessary hope. I find that cruel. Are they even telling me the truth but holding back because they are afraid of me suing them if they turn out to be wrong?
Now I don't even trust if we have the right x rays. This vet lied to me about my horse having chronic colic and sent us to an affiliated vet hospital that gave her a financial kick back for every patient when she would have been FINE being treated at home. She has sent me into unnecessary whirls of fear more than once and I loathe
this woman. Despise. If I could put a restraining order against her coming near my horse I would.
She has put me into such an awful state of paranoia and my first horse owning experience has been nothing but a nightmare from start to finish. Instead of supporting me and telling me we would figure it out together she told me to euthanize my beloved horse. ON TWO OCCASIONS!
I know my new vet is nothing like her, and as blurry as these x rays are they DO show something and the radiologists HAVE been able to look at them, to a degree, and tell me what they see. out of 5 vets, 2 have told me not to worry, one was on the fence, and now two are telling me no jumping. Who do I believe?
it's time for a new set of x rays. But I want to make sure that everything is done right and that we have a plan of attack should these x rays not improve the prognosis. If we need to surgically remove the chips, i'd rather do that. If with chips removed there's still not a great chance she'll jump again, I'll save my money and ride her on the flat.
I don't like to jump anymore, but she's SO good at it. And she loves it. I love dressage. I hate that once again I am worrying about this, but we are no longer at fancy barn and things are a bit less... groomed at this barn. I just don't know how I am going to afford another set of x rays...