My first journal - Page 13 - The Horse Forum
 312Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 155 Old 01-27-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 379
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by QtrBel View Post
This will sound rude but it is something you need to hear. Sorry doesn't cut it.We certainly don't need it and your horse doesn't understand it. You are, sadly, limited by the available resources it seems whether it be trainers that are capable or finances to make them happen or a combination of both. At this point you are also lacking focus because your attentions are divided. Not something that ever really turns out well when horses are concerned. You IMO need to choose. Focus on jumping. Buy Justice and move him, Sell Chase and go forward with a horse that can get you whee you want to be in the show ring if that is your goal for now OR Walk away from the rescue barn and Justice and devote all your energy to Chase if you have a trainer that can get you where you want to be even if it isn't NOW. Considering the barn Justice is at is quite a distance then I would sit down and decide Justice (at a closer barn with a different trainer) or Chase.
As said in this, yes you are right, you are seeing second hand into this situation, you are not on the ground watching me. Chase is in training at the moment and he is going to be a great horse, however, I have been riding Justice for YEARS, I am not the kind of person who is just going to walk away from him. The trainer situation has been explained MANY TIMES. I am so fed up with hearing it at this point I’m about to lose it. The trainer who teaches me on Justice is leaving for college next year and the show team is ending, this is my last year available for me to show on Justice and I am using it!! I am not dropping my barn, trainer, or horse so bringing it up EVERYTIME I post something isn’t going to make a difference. I have been giving more then enough time to each horse so telling me I need to either sell chase or drop Justice is absurd.

Thanks for giving me advice and stuff for the past year or so, but now that I have the new trainer with Chase there really isn’t a purpose for me to keep posting on here. I can keep track of my progress on paper with a pencil. I had fun while I was apart of this community and I wish you all the best of luck with your horses!! Goodbye 🙂
DreamerR is offline  
post #122 of 155 Old 01-28-2019, 11:19 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 15,433
• Horses: 2
Ok Lydia, I see you have logged in again, so maybe still reading..

Look I know you must get bored with people saying to get someone else, but it is just so very hard for us to watch someone who is so keen, being directed wrongly.

I know you say you CANNOT change anything, but why, have you explored the possibilities, seen what e,she is out there, talked to your parents?

The reason everyone is so passionate about this is that it is important in all sorts of ways. Proper tuition not only keeps you safe now, but sets the foundation for your whole riding career. I nearly had a wreck the other day, because I was in a situation where I was a little nervous, and totally forgot all the great teaching of the last few years and defaulted to the things I did as a kid...those things that are installed at the start just tend to pop up when you least need them.

“Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity”
Golden Horse is offline  
post #123 of 155 Old 01-29-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 379
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse View Post
Ok Lydia, I see you have logged in again, so maybe still reading..

Look I know you must get bored with people saying to get someone else, but it is just so very hard for us to watch someone who is so keen, being directed wrongly.

I know you say you CANNOT change anything, but why, have you explored the possibilities, seen what e,she is out there, talked to your parents?

The reason everyone is so passionate about this is that it is important in all sorts of ways. Proper tuition not only keeps you safe now, but sets the foundation for your whole riding career. I nearly had a wreck the other day, because I was in a situation where I was a little nervous, and totally forgot all the great teaching of the last few years and defaulted to the things I did as a kid...those things that are installed at the start just tend to pop up when you least need them.
Yes I have been logging in as I have been pming people. I cannot change things with riding at the rescue because I am not saying goodbye to Justice. I have been riding with the same group of 12 girls my age for years and they are easily considered my "barn family" and I am not saying goodbye to them. I do not want to change everything in my life that has been amazing because of one trainer. I know its hard to understand from the other side of the screen, but the horses and people I have been with mean the world to me. And what do I say to my friends at the barn when they ask why I'm gone? "Oh its because I don't think the trainer knows what shes doing". AGAIN she is my personal friend outside of riding and I'm 100% sure it would get around to her if I said anything negative. You guys usually only hear the bad sides about my trainer, but she has been there for me since I wanted to start riding. Encouraging me and supporting me along the way. Does that make sense?
DreamerR is offline  
post #124 of 155 Old 01-29-2019, 10:47 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,946
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LydiaAndJustice View Post
Yes I have been logging in as I have been pming people. I cannot change things with riding at the rescue because I am not saying goodbye to Justice. I have been riding with the same group of 12 girls my age for years and they are easily considered my "barn family" and I am not saying goodbye to them. I do not want to change everything in my life that has been amazing because of one trainer. I know its hard to understand from the other side of the screen, but the horses and people I have been with mean the world to me. And what do I say to my friends at the barn when they ask why I'm gone? "Oh its because I don't think the trainer knows what shes doing". AGAIN she is my personal friend outside of riding and I'm 100% sure it would get around to her if I said anything negative. You guys usually only hear the bad sides about my trainer, but she has been there for me since I wanted to start riding. Encouraging me and supporting me along the way. Does that make sense?
I understand what you mean. We only see glimpses of your situation based on what you tell us, and we don't know the full picture, so of course advice we give may not be absolutely right or appropriate. However, I think certain things that you did mention allowed us to read between the lines, because some of us have lived through something similar, and we recognized patterns/situations. So naturally, we want others to be spared what we maybe lived through.

Although it may be hard to hear or see, our trainer sounds like an amazing friend, but not a great riding coach. And it's easy to mix the 2. I did, and I loved my previous barn family (from the people, to the horses and barn cats). Until things went really wrong and I realized that although I loved my trainer as a friend, she wasn't good for me. So I left, hoping to find someone who could get me to where I wanted. But that took me a while to realize, and longer still to have the courage to leave. I should and could have left earlier, but I didn't, since I wasn't mentally ready. And that's ok, it made me learn other things along the way.

It's your decision what you do and where you ride, but I think what most of us want/hope is that you stay at least aware of what you are dealing with, and can act accordingly to make the most of the situation and/or protect yourself.

I enjoyed your journal, and if you do stop posting, happy riding!

A ride a day keeps the worries away!
Hidalgo13 is offline  
post #125 of 155 Old 01-29-2019, 11:27 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 15,433
• Horses: 2
My last trainer, my first ‘proper’ trainer, I really liked her, we became friends, even though people on line were telling me that she wasn’t a good trainer..

They were right, I was wrong, her methods and training both sucked, but I had fun. I had even more fun as a kid, and as I said, still trying to fix all the issues!

We get having fun, many of us grew up with little, no, or in my case bad instruction, having the best fun. I can’t change the past...would if I could? Well yes, I think so, because it is so much easier to learn when you are young, and to learn the right thing first time around. If you think you MAY want to be serious about riding then it matters.

So where does Chase fit in here?
Phantomrose and mmshiro like this.

“Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity”
Golden Horse is offline  
post #126 of 155 Old 01-29-2019, 04:54 PM
Started
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NW Connecticut
Posts: 2,315
• Horses: 1
Whatever people here say, what you do remains your decision. But objectively it is better if you make a decision based on all available information. The best leaders surround themselves with advisors who challenge their views.

Be well!
mmshiro is online now  
post #127 of 155 Old 02-21-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 379
• Horses: 0
Hey guys! I'm very bored right now so I thought I'd give a little update on Chase.
He is doing amazing-ish!

So we realized that the reason hes been dropping weight and not eating his hay is because hes a cribber. SO I got him the cribbing collar, only to find out he knows how to rub it off. So the vet said he is probably getting stressed out from being kept alone. So I am now in the search for a mini!

His training is going SO WELL he has turned out to be a well rounded dude and I can't wait to see how far we can go together!

I took it upon myself to try and teach him some tricks. My first attempt was to get him to learn the spanish walk, which led to me tapping his leg with a crop for 30 minutes until I realized that, that was not his thing. So, then I wanted to start him with liberty work, were you like run around and they follow you, and IMO its actually going well! I'll attach a video. We are still just walking, but the fact that he is choosing to walk with me instead of going off and eating makes me feel like we're getting somewhere lol. His one thing is that he doesn't like to stop so when I stop he keeps walking.

He is also getting re-started over jumps and its adorable! He has such a willing soul and I honestly think he likes it...

Anyways, I'll try and do updates every-so-often Bye for now! (Don't mind my mother offering to let a stranger ride him the riding video lol.)

DreamerR is offline  
post #128 of 155 Old 02-21-2019, 11:19 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,066
• Horses: 2
Nice to hear from you again Lydia, I have been wondering how you were doing. Glad to see that things seem to be going well! Are you still working with the new trainer? That seemed like a great opportunity for you and Chase, hope you are taking advantage of it!
NavigatorsMom is offline  
post #129 of 155 Old 02-21-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 379
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavigatorsMom View Post
Nice to hear from you again Lydia, I have been wondering how you were doing. Glad to see that things seem to be going well! Are you still working with the new trainer? That seemed like a great opportunity for you and Chase, hope you are taking advantage of it!
Yes I am still working with the trainer. I have a lesson with him 6 days a week lol. On sundays I usually give Chase a bath or just hangout with him.
DreamerR is offline  
post #130 of 155 Old 02-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,060
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LydiaAndJustice View Post
Yes I am still working with the trainer. I have a lesson with him 6 days a week lol. On sundays I usually give Chase a bath or just hangout with him.
That's really awesome! Glad to hear you've now got someone you click with and who seems to really know his stuff.
knightrider and karens1039 like this.
SteadyOn is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
grown up first-time rider`s journal tbrl Member Journals 50 11-02-2018 04:04 AM
Amy's First Journal kimberlyrae1993 Member Journals 5 05-19-2014 08:29 PM
First haul-out, first gallop, first waterfall — gotta brag about my guy! SammysMom Horse Talk 9 04-13-2014 09:28 PM
My very first soft pastel drawing!!! (art journal) Equusketch Art and Craft Work 37 11-18-2009 02:08 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome