Boarding question--new horse owner - The Horse Forum
 18Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 09-02-2015, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 8
• Horses: 0
Boarding question--new horse owner

This is my first post to this forum and I bought my first horse 2 months ago, so forgive my ignorance.

I don't know if I'm expecting too much from the staff where I board, so I need some opinions. Long story made short, my horse was kicked and several open wounds. One started to get yucky, so the owner wanted to start him on antibiotics. I was there one night around feeding time so I stuck around because he is a notoriously messy eater. Sure enough, there were 10 pills and he spit at least 8 out on the floor of his stall. I told the help, who had no idea that he was doing that. Considering it was his third day on antibiotics, I'm sure he didn't take them just fine the first 2 days and suddenly start spitting them out on day 3. Should they be more mindful of this to ensure he is actually getting the pills? Or is it my responsibility as an owner? FWIW, I pay for full care board.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
bullygirl979 is offline  
post #2 of 26 Old 09-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,295
• Horses: 0
I would say yes. Putting pills in grain is not the pest way to get them into the horse as you found out. Crushing them into powder and moistening the grain could work or dissolving them in a little water and administering with a syringe would work. Also, if the wound is looking yucky, who is cleaning it? Even with full board it is a good idea to handle these things yourself if possible
jaydee and Chasin Ponies like this.
Textan49 is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 09-02-2015, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW UK
Posts: 15,137
• Horses: 0
Never heard of antibiotic pills for horses.

They should make sure he takes them all by crushing them and sticking the powder in an apple, (cut the apple and wipe the powder on the slices) or give injectable antibiotics.

If he is spilling a lot of his feed look into getting his teeth done and feed from a deep corner manger.
Foxhunter is online now  
post #4 of 26 Old 09-02-2015, 11:23 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: north
Posts: 1,707
• Horses: 1
open wounds would concern me more than the spitting out of pills...usually when a horse is kicked and injured there is a bit of am investigation...so it does not happen again. And while antibiotics are good such a wound is usually treated topically with something like ssd. Or swat. Note this I a good lesson for you on putting together an equine hone veterinary kit...because scrapes are inevitable in some cases and having stuff on hand may do a world of good if the vet can't get out or the injury is minor.
Posted via Mobile Device
anndankev and Chasin Ponies like this.
lostastirrup is online now  
post #5 of 26 Old 09-02-2015, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 8
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhunter View Post
Never heard of antibiotic pills for horses.

They should make sure he takes them all by crushing them and sticking the powder in an apple, (cut the apple and wipe the powder on the slices) or give injectable antibiotics.

If he is spilling a lot of his feed look into getting his teeth done and feed from a deep corner manger.
He just had his teeth done in July prior to his purchase. And yes, I know it was actually done because I have copies of the vet records :)

They started feeding him on the ground, instead of a bucket, which seems to be better.
bullygirl979 is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 09-02-2015, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 8
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostastirrup View Post
open wounds would concern me more than the spitting out of pills...usually when a horse is kicked and injured there is a bit of am investigation...so it does not happen again. And while antibiotics are good such a wound is usually treated topically with something like ssd. Or swat. Note this I a good lesson for you on putting together an equine hone veterinary kit...because scrapes are inevitable in some cases and having stuff on hand may do a world of good if the vet can't get out or the injury is minor.
Posted via Mobile Device
The wounds have been getting cleaned out 1-2 times a day. The was doing 1 time a day for the first few days and I've been going out nightly for the past week.

They think they know who kicked him and my horse was put in to a different pasture to prevent another injury.
bullygirl979 is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 09-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 6,161
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhunter View Post
Never heard of antibiotic pills for horses.

They should make sure he takes them all by crushing them and sticking the powder in an apple, (cut the apple and wipe the powder on the slices) or give injectable antibiotics.

If he is spilling a lot of his feed look into getting his teeth done and feed from a deep corner manger.
SMZ's are commonly prescribed. They easily dissolve in a little water with a drop of molasses. They have no taste, more chalky. They are pretty big so easy for a horse to spit out if given whole & dry.
jaydee, JCnGrace and Yogiwick like this.
natisha is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 09-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 6,161
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullygirl979 View Post
This is my first post to this forum and I bought my first horse 2 months ago, so forgive my ignorance.

I don't know if I'm expecting too much from the staff where I board, so I need some opinions. Long story made short, my horse was kicked and several open wounds. One started to get yucky, so the owner wanted to start him on antibiotics. I was there one night around feeding time so I stuck around because he is a notoriously messy eater. Sure enough, there were 10 pills and he spit at least 8 out on the floor of his stall. I told the help, who had no idea that he was doing that. Considering it was his third day on antibiotics, I'm sure he didn't take them just fine the first 2 days and suddenly start spitting them out on day 3. Should they be more mindful of this to ensure he is actually getting the pills? Or is it my responsibility as an owner? FWIW, I pay for full care board.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
If the facility offered to give the pills I think they should make sure they were given/consumed.
You may want to crush the pills & put the correct dose in individual baggies for the staff to give with grain.

Did a vet say to give the medication?
natisha is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 09-02-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 8
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by natisha View Post
SMZ's are commonly prescribed. They easily dissolve in a little water with a drop of molasses. They have no taste, more chalky. They are pretty big so easy for a horse to spit out if given whole & dry.
They gave him SMZs whole, in his grain. Hence, why he spit them out.
bullygirl979 is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 09-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodinville, Washington
Posts: 1,203
• Horses: 0
Most places will charge extra to give medication, I wouldn't expect it for free/automatically. However, if they agreed to give him the pills they should be making sure he eats them.

If it was me and I was already out 1-2 times a day to dress the wound I would just take care of it myself to make sure he's getting them properly. Most horses won't just eat pills dumped in their grain. Others have given you good suggestions on how to give them to him.
Chasin Ponies likes this.
TessaMay is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coat Question from a Non-Horse Owner KatrinaC Horse Grooming 9 03-25-2014 12:35 PM
Potential New Horse Owner - Question on Worming! sommsama09 Horse Health 11 06-05-2012 07:22 PM
i have another dumb new horse owner question WesternRider Horse Health 13 04-13-2012 07:54 PM
New Horse owner with a question jrwoodward Horse Training 23 01-10-2012 08:03 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome