A couple questions - Page 106 - The Horse Forum
 1109Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1051 of 1323 Old 11-24-2015, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkat86 View Post
OP, as you become more experienced and begin riding more you will find just how poignant this small statement is.
Yes I agree and infact I think Ive already started to feel it. Even though Im not riding my mare yet, since Ive started riding with my trainer, I feel things have shifted (in a good way).
Hoofpic is offline  
post #1052 of 1323 Old 11-24-2015, 10:59 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 7,381
• Horses: 0
YES! Jenkat86!!

Hoof pic, Sorry, but everything that Warwick says is not gospel....nobody knows all, sees all. So just because HE says it does not mean everyone else is doing it wrong!!
Story time.....

In college, I was asked to work a green broke little Paint mare for one of my neighbors. I had the hardest time with her, but got some good work done, and had her happily going down the trail.....

Several years later, I ran into a man and that mare at a horse show. They were doing the turn backs for the cattle events. He is a VERY successful trainer who used to jockey, then went on to train race horses. Anyway, after the event, I talked to him about the horse....I asked him how he trained her.

He said. (I will NEVER forget this, as long as I have two working brain cells in my head) "I used REWARD and PUNISHMENT....her reward was when I quit punishing her!!"

I think he was being a little facetious, but whether he was serious or not, it illustrates how very differently ALL of us train.....because EVERY horse is different, and EVERY person is different, and it takes CONSTANT compensation from BOTH to get the job done. The take away point...

You have to do WHATEVER it takes....even if Warwick were standing by your side, it would probably not be the exact sequence as it is on the video.
Golden Horse, jenkat86 and Hoofpic like this.
greentree is offline  
post #1053 of 1323 Old 11-24-2015, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkat86 View Post
Keep in mind my previous statement about your warwick schiller subscription. I was kind of worried this would happen. You need to remember that Warwick is not with your horse, your trainer is. And your trainer is working with her daily. You are getting conflicting info. My suggestion is back off of the videos until your trainer is DONE with your mare. You will only confuse yourself and your mare.
I know Warwick isnt my trainer and Im not taking EVERYTHING that he says seriously. He will have techniques and opinions that my trainer may not agree with (or even me), but its just good to know his training methods from another point of view.

For instance, (I know I mentioned this already), his method on correcting a horse who tries to get grass when not allowed appeals to me because I just see it as a much more effective method than what almost everyone does.

Remember though, my trainer is only riding my mare, not doing groundwork with her at all. But I see your point. I will keep the sub and keep watching his videos, but I will keep reminding myself that he is not my trainer. I observe his techniques in his videos, learn the little things here and there and go from there.

I find its not just what he does visually in his videos that teach me a lot but what he says. Like I said, I love how this guy explains things, it makes it so easy for me to understand (and I have bad reading comprehension).

WIth that being said, Im going to post that video shortly (the one I promised last night) of this one girl lunging her horse. Would love your guys thoughts on it from the girls POV and Warwicks feedback.
jenkat86 likes this.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #1054 of 1323 Old 11-24-2015, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentree View Post
YES! Jenkat86!!

Hoof pic, Sorry, but everything that Warwick says is not gospel....nobody knows all, sees all. So just because HE says it does not mean everyone else is doing it wrong!!
Story time.....

In college, I was asked to work a green broke little Paint mare for one of my neighbors. I had the hardest time with her, but got some good work done, and had her happily going down the trail.....

Several years later, I ran into a man and that mare at a horse show. They were doing the turn backs for the cattle events. He is a VERY successful trainer who used to jockey, then went on to train race horses. Anyway, after the event, I talked to him about the horse....I asked him how he trained her.

He said. (I will NEVER forget this, as long as I have two working brain cells in my head) "I used REWARD and PUNISHMENT....her reward was when I quit punishing her!!"

I think he was being a little facetious, but whether he was serious or not, it illustrates how very differently ALL of us train.....because EVERY horse is different, and EVERY person is different, and it takes CONSTANT compensation from BOTH to get the job done. The take away point...

You have to do WHATEVER it takes....even if Warwick were standing by your side, it would probably not be the exact sequence as it is on the video.
Thanks that is a great example. Every horse is different.

I think if anything I learn more from the verbal speech of Warwick than visually, but both is beneficial to me. I have learned a lot so far.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #1055 of 1323 Old 11-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,974
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkat86 View Post
Keep in mind my previous statement about your warwick schiller subscription. I was kind of worried this would happen. You need to remember that Warwick is not with your horse, your trainer is. And your trainer is working with her daily. You are getting conflicting info. My suggestion is back off of the videos until your trainer is DONE with your mare. You will only confuse yourself and your mare.
I know Warwick isnt my trainer and Im not taking EVERYTHING that he says seriously. He will have techniques and opinions that my trainer may not agree with (or even me), but its just good to know his training methods from another point of view.

For instance, (I know I mentioned this already), his method on correcting a horse who tries to get grass when not allowed appeals to me because I just see it as a much more effective method than what almost everyone does.

Remember though, my trainer is only riding my mare, not doing groundwork with her at all. But I see your point. I will keep the sub and keep watching his videos, but I will keep reminding myself that he is not my trainer. I observe his techniques in his videos, learn the little things here and there and go from there.

I find its not just what he does visually in his videos that teach me a lot but what he says. Like I said, I love how this guy explains things, it makes it so easy for me to understand (and I have bad reading comprehension).

WIth that being said, Im going to post that video shortly (the one I promised last night) of this one girl lunging her horse. Would love your guys thoughts on it from the girls POV and Warwicks feedback.
Okay just would like to point out that you say you're not taking it as gospel but you were about to take 10 steps backwards because you saw what he was doing and decided you wanted to do it.
greentree and jenkat86 like this.
Rainaisabelle is offline  
post #1056 of 1323 Old 11-24-2015, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainaisabelle View Post
Okay just would like to point out that you say you're not taking it as gospel but you were about to take 10 steps backwards because you saw what he was doing and decided you wanted to do it.
Well I was just wondering if it would be beneficial in going back and filling these holes with my mare. Didnt know if it would be needed thats all :)
Hoofpic is offline  
post #1057 of 1323 Old 11-24-2015, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
here you go.

Here is a great video of Warwick critiquing one of his members on her lunging her horse. He brings up some interesting points and provides great feedback. He obviously preaches a lot on having your horse yield to you before moving on a line.

Whats scary is that this USED TO BE ME when I first got my mare and just started lunging her! I am nothing like this now.

Hoofpic is offline  
post #1058 of 1323 Old 11-24-2015, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
^ Boy that video is just SOOO good and beneficial. It will be one that I will reference back to down the road many times Im sure. Its a must watch for everyone to at least get a feel for how well Warwick describes what he sees.

Now, if I really wanted to practice my lunging and my skills and assess myself, the best thing would be to lunge one of the lesson horses.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #1059 of 1323 Old 11-24-2015, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse View Post
I check ears first always, then run my hand down under the mane, is it warm and dry?

Then hand down just behind front leg where the coat is fine, run hand along belly and check inside back leg, if all is dry and warm to the touch, then I'm good, no blankets needed..
Oh ok, can I follow what you just suggested? That sounds like a very thorough and accurate way of checking.

Quote:
Your mare is young, she should be fine.
I know, but I still worry for her when Im not there.

Quote:
I tend to worry more about a horse overheating because they have a blanket on when it is not needed....that is much harder for them.
true and this is why I would only blanket her in extreme cold temps.

The sun would have to be out in the day for them to overheat IMO.

From my experiences at barns, most who blanket leave them on in the day because they work in the day. Ive seen it many times before where horses will have blankets on, on a sunny winter day uhhhhhh.

If anything, Im more worried about my mare wearing her blanket while in the herd and dont want her herd mates tearing it or have a safety risk. Obviously horses with blankets on while out in a herd are much more skeptical and at risk of that blanket getting damaged or the straps becoming undone right?

It really bothers me when I see horses blanket snaps become undone. Its a huge safety risk as the horse can easily trip over it and/or freak out.

I just know the BO here, he doesnt blanket any horses there or any of his own but he is fine with boarders doing it on their horses as long as they are there when needed to remove them.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #1060 of 1323 Old 11-24-2015, 08:52 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 15,433
• Horses: 2
OK, again it can be -50*C with the windchill and as long as they have some protection from the wind, and enough hay to eat, and a heated water bowl, I simply would not worry about blanketing a young healthy horse. To me the disadvantages outweigh the advantages..for instance, my old girl, I am away for 3 weeks or so over Christmas, my son will check my horses and feed, but I do not trust him to do blanket checks, so she is safer without.

Remember that blankets do get destroyed in a boarding situation, and it is very annoying. Now my barn is great, the owner put one of her own blankets on my mare when hers got damaged
jenkat86 likes this.

“Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity”
Golden Horse is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A couple questions. helterskelter Horse Nutrition 2 07-03-2013 05:38 PM
I have a couple questions..... WesternRider88 Draft Horses 10 06-11-2013 04:17 PM
Just a couple of questions TheMayoMat Horse Health 14 10-24-2012 11:44 PM
A couple of questions. Wes70 Horse Training 6 09-18-2012 08:45 PM
Couple of questions Solon Horse Forum Support Help Desk 1 02-08-2010 06:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome