A couple questions - Page 31 - The Horse Forum
 1109Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #301 of 1323 Old 10-20-2015, 12:33 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,974
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainaisabelle View Post
I agree with the taking a break.. I think I mentioned it before...


Hanging out to me means that I am not asking anything of my horse I am just around. I usually take a book and read while he eats and then give him a nice grooming. You can give treats aswell but depends if your horse gets pushy or not.


You are thinking of everything to mechanically.. like everything has to be down in order for it to work but it doesn't. Owning a horse comes with making mistakes but also learning from them.

Take at least a week off and just don't worry about lists or training but just enjoying the company.
Ive done this quite a bit with her over the past month. Some days I will just go, take her in the barn, brush her, give her grass, put her back. Thats it.

I think you guys are seeing me working her on drills and excersizes every single time I see her - which is definitely not the case.

Today will be another off day for her, in fact I was thinking about it last night and I might not even go visit her tonight. I might take the night off to reflect, do more reading and research. Especially seeing how last night went really well, wouldnt mind for last night to sink in a bit longer and so I can be sure to maintain my focus on building from what I gained last night.

Thats why Im just super eagerly waiting for her to be put out in the herd next to her. This should be happening any day now. The original quarentine period was only 3 weeks but this Friday will be 6 weeks. I sure hope she is put in the herd by Friday, especially seeing how the BO and my trainer told me almost 2 weeks ago that they will be putting her out in the herd in 1-2 weeks from now.

They both said that, that is what she needs right now, to be put in a herd and be with other horses. Shes gone more than long enough being isolated (and this even goes back to her at the old barn, since she never has been in the field) and essentially has been in some sort of isolation since ive owned her (and even two months before the previous owner sold her to me). With her previous owner, in the 2 months where she was in her backyard and alone, she was very lonely.

So 4 fours + 2 months, total 6 months where she hasnt really been able to be a horse - make friends, run, play with them, be in a pecking order ,etc.

She made a few buddies at the old barn but that was through fences when they were paddock neighbours. Not quite the same as them being in a herd. When I put her in a 1 acre paddock in the old barn, (she was alone), she had a herd of 5 right next to her, just over the fence. But again, not the same thing as actually being in a herd.

Trainer, BO and I, all agree that the sooner she is in a herd, the better she will be, she will be happier and most likely be more in line and more well behaved as the trainer and BO said that her herd mates will keep her in line and I wont be the main focus for her anymore. Cause right now Ive been her herd for the past 4 months, her owner has been her herd for the 2 months before that. And when she goes into a herd, I will no longer be her herd.
Why not just bring a chair and just sit ? Don't even touch her just sit and be around.
Hoofpic likes this.
Rainaisabelle is offline  
post #302 of 1323 Old 10-20-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainaisabelle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainaisabelle View Post
I agree with the taking a break.. I think I mentioned it before...


Hanging out to me means that I am not asking anything of my horse I am just around. I usually take a book and read while he eats and then give him a nice grooming. You can give treats aswell but depends if your horse gets pushy or not.


You are thinking of everything to mechanically.. like everything has to be down in order for it to work but it doesn't. Owning a horse comes with making mistakes but also learning from them.

Take at least a week off and just don't worry about lists or training but just enjoying the company.
Ive done this quite a bit with her over the past month. Some days I will just go, take her in the barn, brush her, give her grass, put her back. Thats it.

I think you guys are seeing me working her on drills and excersizes every single time I see her - which is definitely not the case.

Today will be another off day for her, in fact I was thinking about it last night and I might not even go visit her tonight. I might take the night off to reflect, do more reading and research. Especially seeing how last night went really well, wouldnt mind for last night to sink in a bit longer and so I can be sure to maintain my focus on building from what I gained last night.

Thats why Im just super eagerly waiting for her to be put out in the herd next to her. This should be happening any day now. The original quarentine period was only 3 weeks but this Friday will be 6 weeks. I sure hope she is put in the herd by Friday, especially seeing how the BO and my trainer told me almost 2 weeks ago that they will be putting her out in the herd in 1-2 weeks from now.

They both said that, that is what she needs right now, to be put in a herd and be with other horses. Shes gone more than long enough being isolated (and this even goes back to her at the old barn, since she never has been in the field) and essentially has been in some sort of isolation since ive owned her (and even two months before the previous owner sold her to me). With her previous owner, in the 2 months where she was in her backyard and alone, she was very lonely.

So 4 fours + 2 months, total 6 months where she hasnt really been able to be a horse - make friends, run, play with them, be in a pecking order ,etc.

She made a few buddies at the old barn but that was through fences when they were paddock neighbours. Not quite the same as them being in a herd. When I put her in a 1 acre paddock in the old barn, (she was alone), she had a herd of 5 right next to her, just over the fence. But again, not the same thing as actually being in a herd.

Trainer, BO and I, all agree that the sooner she is in a herd, the better she will be, she will be happier and most likely be more in line and more well behaved as the trainer and BO said that her herd mates will keep her in line and I wont be the main focus for her anymore. Cause right now Ive been her herd for the past 4 months, her owner has been her herd for the 2 months before that. And when she goes into a herd, I will no longer be her herd.
Why not just bring a chair and just sit ? Don't even touch her just sit and be around.
Id be fine with that but you dont think thats a bit odd and uncommon? Dont want my BO to get wierded out by it.

When i first got here i literally spent the first few days with her just me in her paddock hanging out. I sat on the floor or lower metal bar on the paddock gate lol.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #303 of 1323 Old 10-20-2015, 01:10 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 16,205
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
Id be fine with that but you dont think thats a bit odd and uncommon? Dont want my BO to get wierded out by it.

When i first got here i literally spent the first few days with her just me in her paddock hanging out. I sat on the floor or lower metal bar on the paddock gate lol.
Why do you care so much what everyone else thinks? It's YOUR horse. Do whatever you want!

My old BO used to give me crap about riding in an Aussie saddle. Did I care? Nope. Most comfortable and secure saddle I have EVER ridden in, no matter what anyone else thought or said.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by anndankev; 10-20-2015 at 02:21 PM. Reason: moderated for language
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
post #304 of 1323 Old 10-20-2015, 01:12 PM
Started
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,564
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
Thats why Im in the process coming up with FUN activities for her and I to do. Like I said already, she enjoys obstacles the most as it keeps her mind stimulated and she does very well. This is what im shifting my focus to.
Hoofpic, It's great to switch up activities you do with your horse! I'd like to point out though, that ANY activity you do with your horse, "fun" or not is still considered work to a horse. For example, my mare LOVES trail rides. I do too. It's a "fun activity" for both of us. But she still knows she is doing a job. And if I push her by work, work, work, work, trail ride, work, work, work...she's still going to be burned out. I get a much better horse when I work, trail ride, rest, work, rest, trail ride,...you get the idea.

So to take a break and do "fun activities" for you and your horse- your horse is still going to look at it as work. She may enjoy the work better than the last type of work, but it's still work and a rest is still warranted. And I am in the club that thinks this horse is in MUCH need of a break. You are working with her, the trainer is working with her, she's in a new-ish place. Like someone else said, take a week off. Let her just be a horse for a week.

And just my friendly announcement: If you don't get something other than sandals on those feet you may be taking a VERY long break due to injury from being stomped. She did it to you once...don't take that chance.
greentree and Hoofpic like this.
jenkat86 is offline  
post #305 of 1323 Old 10-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,974
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainaisabelle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainaisabelle View Post
I agree with the taking a break.. I think I mentioned it before...


Hanging out to me means that I am not asking anything of my horse I am just around. I usually take a book and read while he eats and then give him a nice grooming. You can give treats aswell but depends if your horse gets pushy or not.


You are thinking of everything to mechanically.. like everything has to be down in order for it to work but it doesn't. Owning a horse comes with making mistakes but also learning from them.

Take at least a week off and just don't worry about lists or training but just enjoying the company.
Ive done this quite a bit with her over the past month. Some days I will just go, take her in the barn, brush her, give her grass, put her back. Thats it.

I think you guys are seeing me working her on drills and excersizes every single time I see her - which is definitely not the case.

Today will be another off day for her, in fact I was thinking about it last night and I might not even go visit her tonight. I might take the night off to reflect, do more reading and research. Especially seeing how last night went really well, wouldnt mind for last night to sink in a bit longer and so I can be sure to maintain my focus on building from what I gained last night.

Thats why Im just super eagerly waiting for her to be put out in the herd next to her. This should be happening any day now. The original quarentine period was only 3 weeks but this Friday will be 6 weeks. I sure hope she is put in the herd by Friday, especially seeing how the BO and my trainer told me almost 2 weeks ago that they will be putting her out in the herd in 1-2 weeks from now.

They both said that, that is what she needs right now, to be put in a herd and be with other horses. Shes gone more than long enough being isolated (and this even goes back to her at the old barn, since she never has been in the field) and essentially has been in some sort of isolation since ive owned her (and even two months before the previous owner sold her to me). With her previous owner, in the 2 months where she was in her backyard and alone, she was very lonely.

So 4 fours + 2 months, total 6 months where she hasnt really been able to be a horse - make friends, run, play with them, be in a pecking order ,etc.

She made a few buddies at the old barn but that was through fences when they were paddock neighbours. Not quite the same as them being in a herd. When I put her in a 1 acre paddock in the old barn, (she was alone), she had a herd of 5 right next to her, just over the fence. But again, not the same thing as actually being in a herd.

Trainer, BO and I, all agree that the sooner she is in a herd, the better she will be, she will be happier and most likely be more in line and more well behaved as the trainer and BO said that her herd mates will keep her in line and I wont be the main focus for her anymore. Cause right now Ive been her herd for the past 4 months, her owner has been her herd for the 2 months before that. And when she goes into a herd, I will no longer be her herd.
Why not just bring a chair and just sit ? Don't even touch her just sit and be around.
Id be fine with that but you dont think thats a bit odd and uncommon? Dont want my BO to get wierded out by it.

When i first got here i literally spent the first few days with her just me in her paddock hanging out. I sat on the floor or lower metal bar on the paddock gate lol.
In my opinion If you aren't doing something stupid it's none of his business.

I find it relaxing to just be at my Agistment and around my horse without always demanding something of him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image_1445357825635.jpeg (67.0 KB, 4 views)
greentree and Hoofpic like this.
Rainaisabelle is offline  
post #306 of 1323 Old 10-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 7,381
• Horses: 0
Horseman boots??? How about Crocs? They are wide toed. Cheap. Better than sandals.

Drafty...BRILLIANT!! Just OBSERVE for a while?? Great!!
Whinnie likes this.
greentree is offline  
post #307 of 1323 Old 10-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 16,205
• Horses: 1
Boots. You can use boots from Walmart (NOT steel toe). Personally, I prefer a good, sturdy riding boot. My favorite brand is Ariat because of the way they fit. I have a $180 pair of Tombstones (that I'm actually wearing at the moment) and an $80 pair of FatBabys, which are my every day boots. Another good option are Ariat Terrains. More of a hiking boot/riding boot crossover. SUPER comfy.

As for what I consider hanging out with my horse...just go and sit in the stall/paddock. Don't do anything or "pursue" her. If she comes up to you and says hi, great. Acknowledge her, pet her, but continue doing whatever you were doing. Read, work on a crossword, do sudoku. Anything but WORK with your horse. No haltering (halter equals work for her right now), no leading, no grooming. Just sit and enjoy her company.
Posted via Mobile Device
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
post #308 of 1323 Old 10-20-2015, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum View Post
Why do you care so much what everyone else thinks? It's YOUR horse. Do whatever you want!

My old BO used to give me crap about riding in an Aussie saddle. Did I care? Nope. Most comfortable and secure saddle I have EVER ridden in, no matter what anyone else thought or said.
Posted via Mobile Device
I dont care what the BO thinks but I just dont want him to get annoyed by me.

Im sure he already is wierded out and puzzled as to why I visit her everyday if Im not riding her. I dont, but im sure he is a bit confused.

I know (just from what ive seen) at the old barn and at the new barn, boarders will only go visit their horse to ride. Some didnt even go out when their horse got injured and wasnt ridable (I never understood this). It obviously shows who is into just riding and who is also into horsemanship.

This is why Im different from a lot of boarders because I have such high interest in horsemanship. Just cleaning my horses paddock, I get fufillment out of it because I know it gets her paddock cleaner and she appreciates it. Does the general boarder care about cleaning after thier horse? Id say no.
Just stuff like this is what makes me different. Perhaps its just that I see horses as much more than just livestock animals. Heck I take my horse for a walk every now and then. I dont think ive ever seen a boarder do this ever.

The BO and trainer know that I clean her pasture paddock every couple days, they probably think im nuts, cause lets face it, how many owners would clean out a 3 quarter acre field every couple days? But I do it because i get fufillment out of it. Because I want to.

I will bring a chair and sit in her paddock, great idea. Read a book. Be around her but just hanging out. Im sure she will enjoy my company.

THough I will still need to keep my short whip in my hand just in case.

Last edited by anndankev; 10-20-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #309 of 1323 Old 10-20-2015, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkat86 View Post
Hoofpic, It's great to switch up activities you do with your horse! I'd like to point out though, that ANY activity you do with your horse, "fun" or not is still considered work to a horse. For example, my mare LOVES trail rides. I do too. It's a "fun activity" for both of us. But she still knows she is doing a job. And if I push her by work, work, work, work, trail ride, work, work, work...she's still going to be burned out. I get a much better horse when I work, trail ride, rest, work, rest, trail ride,...you get the idea.
I get what you are saying and this is my mindset. I am not going to do FUN activities with her everyday, not even 5 days a week. What I was saying (sorry I worded it wrong) is that WHEN I do work with her, it will be fun activities.

Do you think she sees just being haltered, brought into the barn and brushed as work?

Quote:
And just my friendly announcement: If you don't get something other than sandals on those feet you may be taking a VERY long break due to injury from being stomped. She did it to you once...don't take that chance.
Im getting back in boots the next time I go see her dont worry.
jenkat86 likes this.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #310 of 1323 Old 10-20-2015, 02:20 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 16,205
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
THough I will still need to keep my short whip in my hand just in case.
Doing this will defeat the purpose of going to just hang out with her.

Also, you get the behavior you expect. If you go out there expecting her to misbehave and to need to use the whip, it will happen. Go out there expecting just to sit and take it easy. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.

This is my fiance interacting with my gelding. The extent of my fiance's horse experience was galloping around on a neighbor's pony a couple of times as a kid and riding bareback broncs in high school. On this day, he spent a good thirty minutes with my gelding, just grooming him at liberty while I sat on the mounting block in the middle of the round arena. By the end of it, my gelding (who DOES NOT like men) was following my fiance around like a puppy.





For reference, my fiance is 6'. My gelding is a solid 17hh. My fiance went into this experience expecting my gelding to behave himself and not be a brat, even though he is thoroughly intimidated by my gelding's size.
jenkat86 likes this.

http://i42.tinypic.com/140y8lj.png
Do not tell me I can't...because I will show you that I can.
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A couple questions. helterskelter Horse Nutrition 2 07-03-2013 05:38 PM
I have a couple questions..... WesternRider88 Draft Horses 10 06-11-2013 04:17 PM
Just a couple of questions TheMayoMat Horse Health 14 10-24-2012 11:44 PM
A couple of questions. Wes70 Horse Training 6 09-18-2012 08:45 PM
Couple of questions Solon Horse Forum Support Help Desk 1 02-08-2010 06:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome