A couple questions - Page 35 - The Horse Forum
 1109Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #341 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by enh817 View Post
If I were you, I'd keep asking them.
Well Im trying to be patient here and dont want to push his buttons or get on his case about it. But if shes not in by Friday I will have to ask to see whats going on. Theres obviously a reason why they havent done it yet and I feel its mostly due to her age and her personality.

One of the reasons why I chose this place over the other one nearby is because this barn only had a 3 week quarentine vs 1 month at the other place.

Quote:
Then ask him if he has any objections to you just hanging out in the field with the herd and observing them, letting him know that you are clear on the rules about not messing with or feeding the other horses.
Yes I will ask him this forsure.

Quote:
Sounds like you've been bitten by the horse bug! We're all obsessed with horses... That's why we spend hours on the forums after getting home from the barn (or in my case after spending all day, everyday surrounded by them). Which is why you needn't worry about compatability with other people at the barn. You have something major, incommon with all of them, a deep love for horses!!
Im open to being friends with anyone. There are some really nice people who board here.

Quote:
As for the halter equalling work thing, yes that's true in a way, but realize that haltering her and taking her in the barn to groom her is not hard work like her getting ridden. just as being ridden leasurely down the trail isn't the same kind of work as roping 30 head of steer.

And as you've learned you may plan to not doanything with them but lead them into be groomed and they throwa wrench in your plans and act a fool leading to/from barn so you have to get into it with them even though you didn't want to. So if youwant togive her a day off it's best to do like whatyou did today and not put yourself on a situation where you might have to get into her and do more work wiyh her than you wanted.
.
This is what i would like to do for now on when giving her days off. I just pray that the BO is fine with me hanging out in her herd when shes put out there. You are right, if i want to give her the day off, dont put myself in a sitation where i might have to get into her (like I did a few nights ago) and of course that was totally unexpected, did not see it coming. But horses are in the moment thinkers, they could be good one sec and bad the next.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #342 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Wanted to post this here, its a valuable piece of information from ENH817 that i replied to.

Quote:
You have to realuze that anyone can call themselves a horse trainer or ariding instructor. They just have to know a little bit more than their clientele or atleast be able to BS enough to make people think they do. 99% of the 'trainers' out there really don't know much.
Im seeing this now. Before when I first started, I was just so eager to learn and be happy that the person was willing to teach me to begin with. But now I have higher standards because im able to pick out tendencies trainers have, some things to look for, so im more specific and picky now (which is good!). I also have a lot more knowledge today in all areas of NH than I did 5 months ago (saying this is a huge understatement, cause the gains ive made over the past 5 months have been GIGANTIC!) so now when Im given advice from someone, I am much more capable in determining whether the info theyre spouting out is valid or debatable and more of an opinion than a true fact.

5 months ago (before I got my mare), I went under the wings of the barn helper at the old barn. I was so grateful for having the oppurtunity to be around horses again. Because of this I immediately looked to her for everything, and as if she was a master in the horse world. Obviously she was a very bad person to learn from. I still learned a lot from her but she gave me more incorrect advice than correct advice.

If say I didnt have my mare today and having gone through the experiences i have over the 5 months, I definitely would NOT have accepted the oppurtunity to learn from her today. No chance. Because I have higher standards now and much more knowledge.. As time goes on and I learn more, I have no doubt this will only keep increasing. The past 5 months have been some of the best and most exciting times of my life, learning from all sorts of different people - trainers, boarders, people on forums, farriers, etc. But its the real life hands on experience by going out every single day to apply what I learned is what really helped me take off.

This is why I dont think its crazy at all that Ive gone to see my mare every single day (but one) since i got her.
If anything it shows people just how dedicated and commited i am to learning. People at the old barn knew this, the trainer there knew it...she even commented to other boarders on my attitude and will to learn and that to see someone with my kind of drive to learn was not a very common thing. They all saw my raw passion for horses, every single one of the boarders. The barn helper (even though I left on bad terms and we will never talk again), kept telling me time and time again how she was so grateful to have me there and if i ever left, I would be sorely missed. That I was such a pleasure to work with, teach and know as a person. She really did open up to me as time went on and had a lot of respect for me. Well personally, (even though i havent been in contact with anyone there since i left), I do truly believe I am sorely missed because I did so much for that barn, I busted my *** every single time I was there, it was the little things here and there that I did and paid attention to (stuff they wouldnt even notice) all came from my love for horses. When I left if anything, it would have send her and the BO a serious wake up call to smarten up and run the place like how it should be run. Everyday I fed, gave water and checked up on every horse on that property as if they were my own. Sorry, need to stop talking about it here, just flashing back is getting me a bit emotional. Had some real great memories at that place and some really special horses were there.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #343 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
IGNORE THE PREVIOUS POST, THIS ONE IS THE ONE TO READ.

Wanted to post this here, its a valuable piece of information from ENH817 that i replied to.

Quote:
You have to realuze that anyone can call themselves a horse trainer or ariding instructor. They just have to know a little bit more than their clientele or atleast be able to BS enough to make people think they do. 99% of the 'trainers' out there really don't know much.
Im seeing this now. Before when I first started, I was just so eager to learn and be happy that the person was willing to teach me to begin with. But now I have higher standards because im able to pick out tendencies trainers have, some things to look for, so im more specific and picky now (which is good!). I also have a lot more knowledge today in all areas of NH than I did 5 months ago (saying this is a huge understatement, cause the gains ive made over the past 5 months have been GIGANTIC!) so now when Im given advice from someone, I am much more capable in determining whether the info theyre spouting out is valid or debatable and more of an opinion than a true fact.

5 months ago (before I got my mare), I went under the wings of the barn helper at the old barn. I was so grateful for having the oppurtunity to be around horses again. Just going back a bit further, a month prior I was at another huge barn (1 hour drive from home) where I was mucking stalls for 8 hours every Sat and every Sun in exchange for riding lessons from the barn manager. I was there 7am every Sat and Sun morning to start with morning feed and stayed til well past 5pm sometimes 6pm. I basically helped with everything in their daily barn operation. Note at this time, I had not seen or paid a trainer in my life.

Well this didnt turn out well because the BM and her helpers were NOT good people to learn from. They were worse than the old barn helper. They really had no desire to teach me at all and were just using me. I didnt see it at the time but when I moved on I did. I was only there for 6 weeks because turned out they didnt have an insurance policy in place if I were to ever get injured on their property. I was absolutely crushed when I was told I couldnt go back because I just wanted to be around horses in my free time. But at this same time I had many people online constantly telling me that I should not be mucking stalls for riding lessons as it was to no benefit for me. I need to pay a trainer and go from there and focus on NH, not riding.

I went the next 4-5 weeks absolutely missing being at the barn and being around horses. This is when I started seeking out trainers and paid to learn horsemanship. I took 1-2 lessons a week from trainers for a good 6 weeks on NH, no riding. As I was taking lessons, it was great, but I still missed being at the barn so I put up ads online displaying my true love for horses and asking for an oppurtunity to learn from someone in exchange for my helping hand in barn operation.

This is when the barn helper at the old barn where I boarded at reached out to me. She offered me the chance to work with her 7 ponies. 7 ponies that she didnt have time to take care of but was open to having me do it in exchange for her teaching me.

Because of this I immediately looked to her for everything, and as if she was a master in the horse world. Obviously she was a very bad person to learn from. I still learned a lot from her but she gave me more incorrect advice than correct advice.

If say I didnt have my mare today and having gone through the experiences i have over the 5 months, I definitely would NOT have accepted the oppurtunity to learn from her today. No chance. Because I have higher standards now and much more knowledge.. As time goes on and I learn more, I have no doubt this will only keep increasing. The past 5 months have been some of the best and most exciting times of my life, learning from all sorts of different people - trainers, boarders, people on forums, farriers, etc. But its the real life hands on experience by going out every single day to apply what I learned is what really helped me take off.

This is why I dont think its crazy at all that Ive gone to see my mare every single day (but one) since i got her.
If anything it shows people just how dedicated and commited i am to learning. Thats the ONE thing that all the trainers Ive worked with have said to me. My attitude and drive to learn was what made it so motivating for them to teach me.

People at the old barn knew this, the trainer there knew it...she even commented to other boarders on my attitude and will to learn and that to see someone with my kind of drive to learn was not a very common thing. They all saw my raw passion for horses, every single one of the boarders. The barn helper (even though I left on bad terms and we will never talk again), kept telling me time and time again how she was so grateful to have me there and if i ever left, I would be sorely missed. That I was such a pleasure to work with, teach and know as a person. She really did open up to me as time went on and had a lot of respect for me. Well personally, (even though i havent been in contact with anyone there since i left), I do truly believe I am sorely missed because I did so much for that barn, I busted my *** every single time I was there, it was the little things here and there that I did and paid attention to (stuff they wouldnt even notice) all came from my love for horses. When I left if anything, it would have send her and the BO a serious wake up call to smarten up and run the place like how it should be run. Everyday I fed, gave water and checked up on every horse on that property as if they were my own. Sorry, need to stop talking about it here, just flashing back is getting me a bit emotional. Had some real great memories at that place and some really special horses were there.

Last edited by Hoofpic; 10-21-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #344 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 11:56 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 7,381
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
What makes you think this? He hasnt even seen her near the herd over the fence. Do this first, then judge. I could understand if he put her in the area right over the fence from the herd and got the feeling that he should allow more time. But to not even have tried it yet and make that judgement is a bit premature.
Did you happen to tell him about the injury incident before?

I think he judged YOU....not your horse. Call it covering his a$$ or whatever.
anndankev and Whinnie like this.
greentree is offline  
post #345 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 12:02 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 16,205
• Horses: 1
Grooming at liberty versus grooming tied up in the barn.

Tied up, your horse doesn't have a choice. She has to stay where she is and be groomed.

At liberty, she can move away if she chooses. This was a good exercise for my gelding and my fiancé because my horse had to choose to be with him and my fiancé had to help him make that choice. Big deal for a horse who doesn't like men.
Posted via Mobile Device
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
post #346 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentree View Post
Did you happen to tell him about the injury incident before?
No I told the trainer, not BO. But the injury my mare had at the old place was due to the ***** barn care. It was 100% their fault and could have been avoided if the paddock gate was fully tight with no give when the chain was latched. It had nothing to do with her and other horses. The trainer knows this, I told her exactly how she got injured. I was very upset, but when this happened, this gave me a serious wake up call knowing I had to leave there. IMO (just my opinion) the BO should have covered my $450 vet bill that weekend, plus another $120 in a followup.

Quote:
I think he judged YOU....not your horse. Call it covering his a$$ or whatever.
Im sure this is the case. I trust his judgement, I really do. Hes run his barn for god knows how many years and has done this many times before WITHOUT horses getting injured. Boarders have all said he is great when placing new horses into herds and has good judgement for when they feel suits them the best and at what time.

Perhaps he sees stuff from her in the day when Im not there but from talking with him, hes had nothing but good positive things to say about my mare.

I think his biggest concern is the fact she is so young going into a herd of 3, and shes going in by herself. She doesnt have a buddy to go in together with (cause i know this can make a huge difference).
Hoofpic is offline  
post #347 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 12:45 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,838
• Horses: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anndankev View Post
Have you asked your BO why after 6 weeks she is still in quarantine?

Does anyone know of a contagious horse sickness with a gestation period this long?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post

No ... What do you mean?
... WELL THEN WHATS THE HOLD UP?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentree View Post

... I think he judged YOU...
To begin with here I feel I phrased my question wrong. She is obviously NOT in quarantine any longer. Rather she is only being kept from turn out with others. She is in training and lessons in the general arena, another horse is being allowed loose on the grounds and is nosing her over the fence. I have not heard of your being restricted to 60 yards distance for a long while.

My comment about gestation period for contagious illnesses was because I see that as the major reason for quarantine. It is the time frame between exposure to an illness, and exhibiting symptoms. Do you recall my telling of a horse with a Vet Cert of Health coming to my barn who developed Strangles. Due to being exposed to the disease yet not symptomatic at the time of the Vet exam.

This occurred to me last night but I kept falling asleep at the computer. LOL

The quickest way for a horse to get to know and accept a person is for that person to be the primary caregiver.

Many times I have seen advice given to keep a new scared, 'wild', or feral horse alone in a small pen and be the only person to be in contact with the horse as well as being the only caregiver/provider (ie feed, water).

So, now I feel that this is another wise move by your BO to create an atmosphere that will result in your mare accepting you, and even look forward to your nearness and presence.

You are on full board, and work full time away from the barn so obviously cannot be her primary caregiver. However, you can be her only other contact and therefore form a stronger attachment to you than to another horse had she been turned out with others at the end of the actual quarantine.

Surely he is watching, monitoring, and assessing the situation. Likely has seen, and yes, judged that you and your mare as a team have not been ready to allow her to physically/mentally drift away yet.

By what you say, he is thinking you/she are nearly ready now, it is OK and in my opinion is time to question when the time will come. As I said in another post: follow his guidance. Don't object if he wants a to 'hold up' a few more days, he and the trainer have said it will best for her to be turned out. His actions are directed as to what is best for the pair of you as a team/partnership.
DraftyAiresMum and Hoofpic like this.


Last edited by anndankev; 10-21-2015 at 12:48 PM. Reason: phrasing
anndankev is offline  
post #348 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 02:33 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,063
• Horses: 0
I hope you can feel as comfortable asking questions of the BO as you do asking questions on this forum. It seems you are doing some guessing and assuming instead of asking the BO. He is trying to help you. Let him.
anndankev and DraftyAiresMum like this.
Whinnie is offline  
post #349 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by anndankev View Post
To begin with here I feel I phrased my question wrong. She is obviously NOT in quarantine any longer. Rather she is only being kept from turn out with others. She is in training and lessons in the general arena, another horse is being allowed loose on the grounds and is nosing her over the fence. I have not heard of your being restricted to 60 yards distance for a long while.
She is still in quarentine as long as shes still in that paddock. Thats the rule. I have kept her away from other horses when taking her out and only grazed her in a certain area, like the BO requested the 2nd day I was there.

Quote:
My comment about gestation period for contagious illnesses was because I see that as the major reason for quarantine. It is the time frame between exposure to an illness, and exhibiting symptoms. Do you recall my telling of a horse with a Vet Cert of Health coming to my barn who developed Strangles. Due to being exposed to the disease yet not symptomatic at the time of the Vet exam.
Interesting and good point. She is free of any sicknesses.

Quote:
So, now I feel that this is another wise move by your BO to create an atmosphere that will result in your mare accepting you, and even look forward to your nearness and presence.
I feel this is the case as well and has crossed my mind.

Quote:
You are on full board, and work full time away from the barn so obviously cannot be her primary caregiver. However, you can be her only other contact and therefore form a stronger attachment to you than to another horse had she been turned out with others at the end of the actual quarantine.
True, but I also feel that having owned her for 4 months now that she has become attached to me enough to be put out in a field.

This is why I originally wanted her in a paddock when I got her, so that her and I can work on our partnership. Put her out in the field and she would get attached more to her friends than me.

Quote:
Surely he is watching, monitoring, and assessing the situation. Likely has seen, and yes, judged that you and your mare as a team have not been ready to allow her to physically/mentally drift away yet.
I agree. But do you really considering her to drift away from me when shes put in a field?

Quote:
His actions are directed as to what is best for the pair of you as a team/partnership.
Yes I feel he is doing this for the better for my mare and I, Im sure hes not just extending the quarentine period for the hell of it. He and my trainer talk everyday so they always are keeping in touch with updates on my mare and her progress.

If she is not in the herd by Friday, I shouldnt be upset about it.
anndankev likes this.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #350 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 06:48 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Neverland
Posts: 535
• Horses: 0
No, don't be upset. But I would be curious as to why not and would just ask.
I'm sure they have a good reason, curiosity would just push me to find out what that reason is.
Posted via Mobile Device
anndankev likes this.
enh817 is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A couple questions. helterskelter Horse Nutrition 2 07-03-2013 05:38 PM
I have a couple questions..... WesternRider88 Draft Horses 10 06-11-2013 04:17 PM
Just a couple of questions TheMayoMat Horse Health 14 10-24-2012 11:44 PM
A couple of questions. Wes70 Horse Training 6 09-18-2012 08:45 PM
Couple of questions Solon Horse Forum Support Help Desk 1 02-08-2010 06:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome