A couple questions - Page 36 - The Horse Forum
 1109Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #351 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Im not sure what was with her tonight. she was a bit too sensitive and on edge tonight. My goal was that we were going to spend another night just hanging out. No asking her for anything.

When i would try to pet her, it seemed she didnt want to be petted and would turn her butt to me. Not aggresively, just slowly.

I didnt bring my short whip with me to the paddock cause remember my goal was to just hang out.

See now why i should bring it at all times even if just hanging out?!

Anyways, i thought maybe she was soar somewhere? Usually if a horse doesnt want your hands on them, something is wrong.

She seemed to be walking fine.

After she turned her butt to me twice, i was really thinking about going to get my whip and use it on her the next time she did it, but i kept remembering drafty said to not bring the whip in her paddock if we are just hanging out.

Now what do you think?

I didnt correct her the first two times cause well i didnt have my whip and i thought if shesdoing it to tell me shes soar, then it wouldnt be right for me to whip her HQ.

I know turning the butt isnt goos but when a friend of mine awhile back had her mare try to bite her, it qas cause she was sore somewhere and the horse was telling her to go away. She didnt correct her at the time.

The 3rd time she turned her butt to me i whacked her with the palm of my hand on her HQ but obviously it doesnt deliver the message that a whip does.

Drafty see now why i feel its best i keep the whip with me at all times even if just hanging out?
Hoofpic is offline  
post #352 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 09:00 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,976
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
Im not sure what was with her tonight. she was a bit too sensitive and on edge tonight. My goal was that we were going to spend another night just hanging out. No asking her for anything.

When i would try to pet her, it seemed she didnt want to be petted and would turn her butt to me. Not aggresively, just slowly.

I didnt bring my short whip with me to the paddock cause remember my goal was to just hang out.

See now why i should bring it at all times even if just hanging out?!

Anyways, i thought maybe she was soar somewhere? Usually if a horse doesnt want your hands on them, something is wrong.

She seemed to be walking fine.

After she turned her butt to me twice, i was really thinking about going to get my whip and use it on her the next time she did it, but i kept remembering drafty said to not bring the whip in her paddock if we are just hanging out.

Now what do you think?

I didnt correct her the first two times cause well i didnt have my whip and i thought if shesdoing it to tell me shes soar, then it wouldnt be right for me to whip her HQ.

I know turning the butt isnt goos but when a friend of mine awhile back had her mare try to bite her, it qas cause she was sore somewhere and the horse was telling her to go away. She didnt correct her at the time.

The 3rd time she turned her butt to me i whacked her with the palm of my hand on her HQ but obviously it doesnt deliver the message that a whip does.

Drafty see now why i feel its best i keep the whip with me at all times even if just hanging out?
Smacking her will send the same message as the whip? It's still reinforcement.

In my opinion if she's getting disrespectful chase her off and then turn around and walk away. Get a book and start reading and just Ignore her .
Rainaisabelle is offline  
post #353 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 09:22 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,976
• Horses: 1
Also if you feel your horse can't be respectful then take the whip in but use it wisely to maintain your space.
Rainaisabelle is offline  
post #354 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainaisabelle View Post
Smacking her will send the same message as the whip? It's still reinforcement.
Smacking her HQ with your hand wont get her attention like a whip would. Im shocked she turned her butt to me today. This hasnt happened in months.

She followed me all over the paddock and could come stand right next to me. But when i went to pet her, she didnt want that.

I wonder if shes soar somewhere. Possibly from being ridden 3 times a week now.

Quote:
In my opinion if she's getting disrespectful chase her off and then turn around and walk away. Get a book and start reading and just Ignore her .
See this is why I need to have my whip with me at all times. I just wont know what mood she is in when i get there. Shes a mare, she wont be the same everyday and tonight just showed that even with 2 straight very good and positive days with her that she can very different the next day at any given time.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #355 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 09:53 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 7,381
• Horses: 0
She is a young mare. She may be hormonal. I have several mares that like to have there tail heads scratched when they are in heat.....be careful, because they are also prone to change their minds, haha!!
anndankev, Whinnie and Hoofpic like this.
greentree is offline  
post #356 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentree View Post
She is a young mare. She may be hormonal. I have several mares that like to have there tail heads scratched when they are in heat.....be careful, because they are also prone to change their minds, haha!!
I know this is one of the factors that we all have to put up with when dealing with mares - their hormones. But whether or not shes in heat or is PMSing, it doesnt give her an excuse for acting this way.

Lets say she is soar somewhere (I dont know forsure yet, will have to observe more tomorrow) but if she is, and you correct her for turning her butt to you...is that still seen as fair and correct treatment or undeserving?

For instance, people always say that if you are teaching a horse something new and they hesitate in doing it or doesnt do it because he doesnt understand. You dont hit your horse because that is not right.
anndankev likes this.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #357 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 11:02 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 7,381
• Horses: 0
She should not be sore from riding, but may be from ovulating. But turning her rear may not be disrespectful. She is a horse, and does not always have a motive for her actions.
If she is loose(not on a lead), then I would not read anything into it, unless you saw the bottoms of her feet flying as she did it. Even then, I would let it go, and be careful. You cannot correct everything, and as we KEEP SAYING...if the timing is not immediate, doing something is WORSE than doing nothing.
egrogan and Whinnie like this.
greentree is offline  
post #358 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 11:09 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,765
• Horses: 9
My absolute favorite mare will chase you around the Pasture at 30 mph backwards to get her butt scritched. She is not being disrespectful, she knows I have nails and it feels good when I give her a good scratch. She also likes having her backside scratched with the apple picker, HARD. This mare loves attention and scratching, she'll back into you in her stall, out in the pasture, in a paddock, you name it. She will NOT try it when haltered or on a lead line, she knows when it's time to behave. If I smacked her butt every time I saw it, my arms would fall off. She just loves scritches and will ask for them, very clearly. It isn't in the least bit disrespectful. Your mare doesn't sound like she was being disrespectful, at least not as you've described it. Reach out and scritch her butt, right around the tail head and down the backs of her legs. She may just be itchy.
greentree, jenkat86 and Whinnie like this.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is online now  
post #359 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 11:15 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 7,381
• Horses: 0
"whether or not she's in heat or is PMSing, it doesnt give her an excuse for acting this way. "

It kind of DOES.....remember, she is a HORSE, and she cannot control how she feels. She CANNOT reason...and she only lives in the NOW.
Whinnie and Hoofpic like this.
greentree is offline  
post #360 of 1323 Old 10-21-2015, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
My absolute favorite mare will chase you around the Pasture at 30 mph backwards to get her butt scritched. She is not being disrespectful, she knows I have nails and it feels good when I give her a good scratch. She also likes having her backside scratched with the apple picker, HARD. This mare loves attention and scratching, she'll back into you in her stall, out in the pasture, in a paddock, you name it. She will NOT try it when haltered or on a lead line, she knows when it's time to behave. If I smacked her butt every time I saw it, my arms would fall off. She just loves scritches and will ask for them, very clearly. It isn't in the least bit disrespectful. Your mare doesn't sound like she was being disrespectful, at least not as you've described it. Reach out and scritch her butt, right around the tail head and down the backs of her legs. She may just be itchy.
What makes you think that my mare wasnt being disrespectful? You have to remember that, (even though she is very sweet and gentle) she can be very cheeky, she is sassy and at times is full of herself. She is a very pretty girl and she knows it and tries to use her looks to her advantage.

She loves attention and almost never turns it down, even from strangers she will go up to but because shes so curious, sometimes she will get too snoopy.

I find it suspicious and worrysome on how she came across tonight as her not wanting me to pet her, anywhere. Ive never seen this ever in the 4 months ive had her.

if she wants her butt scratched, I dont mind but you dont ask by turning it to me. This clearly was not the case because she was turning her butt to me when i petted her.

Heres how it usually is when I go in her paddock. She will immediately follow me around when I get inside and stand next to me. If I move, she will follow. But then after some minutes she will remember that she hasnt eaten in a long time and is hungry so will go searching for food. If its close to supper time, she will know it so she keeps an eye out for the food truck.

During this time, she will ignore me like Im not even there. Then she will eventually come back to me standing next to me. Each time she comes up, I always give her attention. Sometimes she will just come up and stand next to me, other times she will come up and touch her nose to my hand. But I know when she wants attention, she makes it very obvious. If she comes up to me, theres a good chance that she wants to be petted. Its obvious that she comes up for a reason, maybe she just wants company?

Sometimes (happening a lot as of late) it seems she doesnt want me to leave her paddock. Each time she sees me head for the gate, she will immediately follow me and stand next to me by the gate cause she wants more attention. When I leave, she will watch and whiny. When Im in the barn, she will keep an eye out for when im about to come out, then when I come out she will wait for me to come back. But again, for all I know this could all mean moot to her and perhaps she just sees me as the person who brushes her nicely and gives her carrots.

Last edited by Hoofpic; 10-21-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Hoofpic is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A couple questions. helterskelter Horse Nutrition 2 07-03-2013 05:38 PM
I have a couple questions..... WesternRider88 Draft Horses 10 06-11-2013 04:17 PM
Just a couple of questions TheMayoMat Horse Health 14 10-24-2012 11:44 PM
A couple of questions. Wes70 Horse Training 6 09-18-2012 08:45 PM
Couple of questions Solon Horse Forum Support Help Desk 1 02-08-2010 06:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome