A couple questions - Page 48 - The Horse Forum
 1109Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #471 of 1323 Old 10-26-2015, 05:41 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 373
• Horses: 0
Cool - sounds like you are in a good place to learn a lot as it sounds like there is a lot to watch!

I'm in a boarding situation right now where I just rent a small private barn and while having my own space and having total control over my horses' care is lovely, I also really sometimes miss the hustle and bustle of a busy boarding barn and all the learning opportunities that crop up in that environment. I trailer in to my trainer's busy barn and sometimes help exercise horses there a few times a week but it isn't the same as being in that environment all the time.
jenkat86 likes this.
BearPony is offline  
post #472 of 1323 Old 10-26-2015, 05:51 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,974
• Horses: 1
Wow.... Alrighty then.

I also am a fan of just get on with it because your horse will never be perfect even with expert training and consistent handling they're just animals they do what they have to.

If you don't believe now is the right time when will be the right time? What's wrong with now ?

Honestly if people didn't tell me things or butt in I wouldn't have learnt but I also understand sometimes other boarders or agistees in my case can drive you up the wall so I adopted this new approach.

' Not my horse not my problem' or as my friend says ' Not my vet bill to pay '
beverleyy and jenkat86 like this.
Rainaisabelle is offline  
post #473 of 1323 Old 10-26-2015, 06:43 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,063
• Horses: 0
Ya know, women tend to want to help when they see (or think) someone needs it. They will usually step in and ask if one wants help or just jump in and help if they think it's needed. Men, on the other hand, DO NOT want help unless they ask for it. And they usually won't give help unless asked. Offering help to men can be seen by them as an insult as if you are telling them they are not capable.

I am guessing the boarders are mostly women and are, in their own way, offering help to Hoofpic. Or perhaps they are trying to have a conversation with him to get to know him (after all, they all have horses in common).

You may not think you feel defensive, but many of your posts come across that way, at least to me. I think the many people here offering to help you are awesome to keep on encouraging you. I hope you appreciate their efforts.
greentree likes this.
Whinnie is offline  
post #474 of 1323 Old 10-26-2015, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearPony View Post
I also really sometimes miss the hustle and bustle of a busy boarding barn and all the learning opportunities that crop up in that environment.
Im in a much quieter and peaceful, less traffic barn right now and dont really miss the busy boarding barn that my old place was. As I learned in my first 4 months, busy boarding barn = drama.

My god did my old place have so much drama. Every night I would go, there was just so much comotion and gossip. I really can do without that stuff in my life.

If there was one aspect that I do miss, I do miss the social aspect. At the old place, everyday when I would be there I would chit chat with different boarders each time. It was nice seeing familiar faces all the time but overall I dont miss it. The absense of drama was well worth the trade off.

There was so much drama at the old place, we would hold "boarders meetings" every 4 or 5 months so that people can let their concerns and frustration out.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #475 of 1323 Old 10-26-2015, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainaisabelle View Post
Wow.... Alrighty then.

I also am a fan of just get on with it because your horse will never be perfect even with expert training and consistent handling they're just animals they do what they have to.

If you don't believe now is the right time when will be the right time? What's wrong with now ?

Honestly if people didn't tell me things or butt in I wouldn't have learnt but I also understand sometimes other boarders or agistees in my case can drive you up the wall so I adopted this new approach.

' Not my horse not my problem' or as my friend says ' Not my vet bill to pay '
Im not expecting my mare to be perfect and trust me, when I got to this new barn, my trainer asked me flat out "whats holding you back from riding her?"...."we should get you riding her asap"

But when she started working with her and getting to know her, she soon realized that its best I dont ride her for the time being but instead ride one of her school masters. She said it will only do the both of us good (my mare and I).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Whinnie View Post
Ya know, women tend to want to help when they see (or think) someone needs it. They will usually step in and ask if one wants help or just jump in and help if they think it's needed. Men, on the other hand, DO NOT want help unless they ask for it. And they usually won't give help unless asked. Offering help to men can be seen by them as an insult as if you are telling them they are not capable.

I am guessing the boarders are mostly women and are, in their own way, offering help to Hoofpic. Or perhaps they are trying to have a conversation with him to get to know him (after all, they all have horses in common).

You may not think you feel defensive, but many of your posts come across that way, at least to me. I think the many people here offering to help you are awesome to keep on encouraging you. I hope you appreciate their efforts.
Dont generalize all men, I love accepting help and when I need it, Im not shy of admitting it. Yes I am the only guy there. I appreciate every single persons efforts on here trust me. Im very thankful for all the help and advice. I have learned a lot from everyone on this forum and am glad to be a member on here.
anndankev likes this.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #476 of 1323 Old 10-27-2015, 12:29 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,063
• Horses: 0
Hoofpic, my knowledge regarding men and women and the differences in acceptance of help comes from actual studies of the psychology of the genders.
greentree likes this.
Whinnie is offline  
post #477 of 1323 Old 10-27-2015, 01:19 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,838
• Horses: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearPony View Post

... taking lessons on a more trained horse sounds to me like an excellent decision.
I too feel that it is a excellent decision.

Can't even begin to count the numerous times in which that is the advice given to new horsemen/women here on this forum.
"Get a trainer for your horse, and take lessons while your horse is being trained."
Also can't count how many times a New OP says they cannot do that, whether it is due to determination, false belief they can handle it, lack of funds for all 3 elements (ie boarding, training, and lessons), other some other reason.

Some say there are 4 stages of horsemanship:
You don't know what you don't know.
You do know what you don't know.
You don't know what you do know.
You know what you know.
I feel that Hoofpic deserves to be applauded for his dedication to his mare, to the willingness and effort he puts into delving into horsemanship, and that he is almost up to the doesn't know what he doesn't know stage. LOL

<<< With that I "Exit Stage Left", as Snagglepuss says. (Does anyone else remember cartoons that old?)

anndankev is offline  
post #478 of 1323 Old 10-27-2015, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Shes in the area right next to the herd again for today (not sure how long shes been here for but she was here when i arrives).

I think the BO was wanting to see if she figured out the auto waterer yet.

She doesnt seem too happy to see me today. :( shes ignoring me.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #479 of 1323 Old 10-27-2015, 08:38 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 7,381
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
Shes in the area right next to the herd again for today (not sure how long shes been here for but she was here when i arrives).

I think the BO was wanting to see if she figured out the auto waterer yet.

She doesnt seem too happy to see me today. :( shes ignoring me.
She has other horses close by to divert her attention...
anndankev and BearPony like this.
greentree is offline  
post #480 of 1323 Old 10-27-2015, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentree View Post
She has other horses close by to divert her attention...
I know and this struck my mind really quick tonight, it worries me if she will detach herself from me when shes in a herd. That would really suck :(

I dont think shes figured out how the auto waterer works. She didnt drink again today and I think this is the only thing hold the BO back from putting her in the herd.

Also, from watching how the herd of 3 interacted with her over the fence. Im a bit worried as all 3 of them will rush up to my mare and my mare will immediately have her head up, turn her butt or start to kick out (not a full kick), then walk away. Yikes. I hope she will be okay if they do turn her out in the herd in the next bit here. I really dont want her to get hurt. :(

Im sure her going into the herd by herself can be a bit scary and unsettling for horses, even worse when you factor that shes only 4.5. If she had a buddy to go in with together, im sure she would feel more comfortable.
Hoofpic is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A couple questions. helterskelter Horse Nutrition 2 07-03-2013 05:38 PM
I have a couple questions..... WesternRider88 Draft Horses 10 06-11-2013 04:17 PM
Just a couple of questions TheMayoMat Horse Health 14 10-24-2012 11:44 PM
A couple of questions. Wes70 Horse Training 6 09-18-2012 08:45 PM
Couple of questions Solon Horse Forum Support Help Desk 1 02-08-2010 06:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome