A couple questions - Page 72 - The Horse Forum
 1109Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #711 of 1323 Old 11-10-2015, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentree View Post
Now you are getting the idea....what it FEELS like to be the leader.
Yes but it doesnt mean 100% that my mare respects me and sees me as a leader right now. Thats why Im hoping that, (even though Im not riding her right now), that I can get her to respect me again and see me as the leader by just handling her.

No more lunging her
No more groundwork for the time being
Shes focused on what the trainer is teaching her through riding
A lot more days of her just being a horse with her new friends
Not haltering her everyday

Im confident this will have not only a positive infeunce on my mare but me as well because it gives me more time to read and reset my mind when I need to.

What I realized (and that I didnt know before) was that even though I want to see her everyday and love it, I need a break at least once a week just to reset my mind. When I saw her for 4 months straight, every single day, it tired me out, it fatigued my mind and I needed a reboot mentally. Like the person who mentioned it earlier, less but more positive and encouraging visits are far more beneficial for the horse than more but less positive visits. I have kept this quote in the back of my mind for the past month.

The fact is my mare needs alone time and time to just be a horse and now that shes in a herd Im giving her that. I could have and should have given her alone time before when she wasnt in a herd, but I didnt because I was her herd and I felt that by her seeing my everyday, it was beneficial for her.

Quote:
Now, you BE SURE to EXPECT this behavior (in this exercise and ALL the exercises you EVER do with a horse), and you will get it.
What do you mean?

Quote:
IMO, it is time to quit with the gushing, and move on....

Yay!!
I know but Im just so happy after today.

I have a feeling though, that its not me but the herd that has hade the positive effect on her. Afterall, I have only seen and handled her twice in the past 6 days.
greentree likes this.

Last edited by Hoofpic; 11-10-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #712 of 1323 Old 11-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 7,381
• Horses: 0
I am not sure that I can explain this to you on the internet....

Remember WAY back I said that horses KNOW what you are thinking? Well, they KNOW that you KNOW they will do something...as opposed to thinking they MIGHT...and you NEVER get on a horse thinking it is going to buck or run away...and you cannot ride BY something thinking the horse is going to be scared of it...because they WILL (buck, run, be scared) because you THOUGHT it.

When I teach a baby to ground tie, I lead it up to the spot, drop the lead, and say STAND. I turn my back to get the brush. If they move, I get the lead, put them back in the same spot, and say STAND. But I DO NOT drop the lead, back up a step, say easy, darlin' , ssstaaannnddd, easy , whoa honey, back up a step....still staring at them. Because I must TRUST that they will DO as I ask, once they learn. And what did I do when I turned my back?? It was a RELEASE....the natural REWARD for a horse. If they did not move, then they learned what I was teaching. If they move, they get more chances to do it correctly. I do not get mad, but I get firmer with the correction and command if they continue to make the mistake. It does not take but a few times....and they are standing by themselves in the aisle while I do other stuff, because I TRUST that they WILL do as I ask.

Hopefully, that makes sense.....
jenkat86, Whinnie and Hoofpic like this.
greentree is offline  
post #713 of 1323 Old 11-11-2015, 10:39 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,067
• Horses: 0
HoofPic, feed as in oats or sweet feed, just a hand full with a general supplement like Farnham Vita Flex that contains vitamins and minerals. It is contained in little pellets the size of oats in an alfalfa base just for flavor. I feed half the amount recommended for working horses because I don't work my horse that hard. The hay in my region is deficient in selenium in particular which is why I decided to add a supplement. You can contact your local county agricultural extension agent to find out how to have the hay your BO is using analyzed if you want to go that far. He/she could probably tell you if there are any regional deficiencies.

What I use for my mare is equivalent to a general one-a-day vitamin that a human would take.

Other boarders give additional timothy hay (bringing it in a bale at a time) and hand graze their horses on the green grass outside the field (an hour a day) to give them better nutrition yet my mare has the best coat and hooves of any of them, even according to the vet. All I add to my horse's diet is the supplement.

If you enjoy all the work you are doing with the hay cubes, soaking them, mixing minerals and whatever, then fine if it makes you feel good. I just don't see it as necessary when easier ways to be sure she has good nutrition exist. Your mare could care less how much work you do providing her with the soaked cubes.
Whinnie is offline  
post #714 of 1323 Old 11-11-2015, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentree View Post
Remember WAY back I said that horses KNOW what you are thinking? Well, they KNOW that you KNOW they will do something...as opposed to thinking they MIGHT...and you NEVER get on a horse thinking it is going to buck or run away...and you cannot ride BY something thinking the horse is going to be scared of it...because they WILL (buck, run, be scared) because you THOUGHT it.
Oh ok. So are you saying "if I think my mare is going to block me or speed up when leading her away from me" the she knows thats what im thinking and it increases the chance of her doing it?

Quote:
When I teach a baby to ground tie, I lead it up to the spot, drop the lead, and say STAND. I turn my back to get the brush. If they move, I get the lead, put them back in the same spot, and say STAND. But I DO NOT drop the lead, back up a step, say easy, darlin' , ssstaaannnddd, easy , whoa honey, back up a step....still staring at them. Because I must TRUST that they will DO as I ask, once they learn. And what did I do when I turned my back?? It was a RELEASE....the natural REWARD for a horse. If they did not move, then they learned what I was teaching. If they move, they get more chances to do it correctly. I do not get mad, but I get firmer with the correction and command if they continue to make the mistake. It does not take but a few times....and they are standing by themselves in the aisle while I do other stuff, because I TRUST that they WILL do as I ask.

Hopefully, that makes sense.....
Oh interesting.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #715 of 1323 Old 11-11-2015, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whinnie View Post
HoofPic, feed as in oats or sweet feed, just a hand full with a general supplement like Farnham Vita Flex that contains vitamins and minerals. It is contained in little pellets the size of oats in an alfalfa base just for flavor. I feed half the amount recommended for working horses because I don't work my horse that hard. The hay in my region is deficient in selenium in particular which is why I decided to add a supplement. You can contact your local county agricultural extension agent to find out how to have the hay your BO is using analyzed if you want to go that far. He/she could probably tell you if there are any regional deficiencies.

What I use for my mare is equivalent to a general one-a-day vitamin that a human would take.

Other boarders give additional timothy hay (bringing it in a bale at a time) and hand graze their horses on the green grass outside the field (an hour a day) to give them better nutrition yet my mare has the best coat and hooves of any of them, even according to the vet. All I add to my horse's diet is the supplement.

If you enjoy all the work you are doing with the hay cubes, soaking them, mixing minerals and whatever, then fine if it makes you feel good. I just don't see it as necessary when easier ways to be sure she has good nutrition exist. Your mare could care less how much work you do providing her with the soaked cubes.
Farnham Vita flex? Oh interesting, will check it out. But are these pellets still considered as grain? I would imagine so. Remember I cant have her on any grain period.

I know its a lot more work feeding her the cubes but remember I dont have many options when i cant consider her grain.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #716 of 1323 Old 11-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Started
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,564
• Horses: 1
OP, this may have already been covered here, but I can't find it if it has been. Have you considered feeding a ration balancer instead of or added to the cubes? It looks like grain, but is nothing but a pelleted vitamin and mineral supp. Very very low calorie so it's a great addition to a forage diet.

If you don't want to go that route there are several pelleted vitamin and mineral supplements out there. (I for one love California Trace) You feed about an ounce or two a day. If it's palatable enough you can just hand feed her as a little treat so you don't get any snarky stares from the trainer or anyone else.
anndankev and egrogan like this.
jenkat86 is offline  
post #717 of 1323 Old 11-11-2015, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkat86 View Post
OP, this may have already been covered here, but I can't find it if it has been. Have you considered feeding a ration balancer instead of or added to the cubes? It looks like grain, but is nothing but a pelleted vitamin and mineral supp. Very very low calorie so it's a great addition to a forage diet.

If you don't want to go that route there are several pelleted vitamin and mineral supplements out there. (I for one love California Trace) You feed about an ounce or two a day. If it's palatable enough you can just hand feed her as a little treat so you don't get any snarky stares from the trainer or anyone else.
Yes ration balancers was actually the first thing I considered when getting off grain but unfortunately no one here is able to get them in even with special order. Hoffman rations is as close as a balancer as I can get locally.

These pelleted vitamin and mineral supplements, I totally didnt know about til now. Do they usually consist of oats, mollasses, and etc, whatever is in grain?
Hoofpic is offline  
post #718 of 1323 Old 11-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Started
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,564
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
. Do they usually consist of oats, mollasses, and etc, whatever is in grain?
Some do, most good ones don't have any of that stuff in them. I use california trace pellets. Here is the list of ingredients: Rice Bran, Almond Hull Meal, L-Lysine Hydrochloride, DL-Methionine, Zinc Polysaccharide Complex, Copper Polysaccharide Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Biotin, Rice Hulls (as a vitamin carrier), Selenium Yeast, Vitamin A Supplement, Naturally Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid and Lecithin, Natural & Artificial Flavoring, Ethylene Diamine Dihydroiodide, Iodine.

Smart pak has some good ones too that are a little more tasty. They might have some added sugar like molasses to help it taste better for picky eaters. Overall, you aren't going to be feeding very much of it so a little added sugar isn't going to hurt too much. Just my opinion.

That's too bad about the ration balancers
jenkat86 is offline  
post #719 of 1323 Old 11-11-2015, 01:59 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,067
• Horses: 0
Vita Flex or similar is NOT considered grain. It is only one ounce you are feeding. It is contained in miniscule alfalfa flavor pellets. You don't even need to add any grain, my mare loves them as is. Also I seriously doubt one little handful of grain (like what, less than half a measuring cup?) is going to affect your mare unless she has a severe allergy.

Vita flex is not the only supplement out there, I just get it because it is the cheapest per ounce and it does what I want it to do. Does your mare have some kind of condition that is concerning you about her nutrition?

Maybe you should look at some on-line catalogs like State Line Tack and Schneider's and take a look at their supplement section. Ordering on line is easy.
egrogan likes this.
Whinnie is offline  
post #720 of 1323 Old 11-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 6,917
• Horses: 3
Changing topics a bit, this video was posted on another thread about a colt starting contest, but I though you might enjoy seeing the in-hand trail obstacles this novice trainer works through with his green horse:
(Most of this could be ridden too)
anndankev, greentree and Whinnie like this.
egrogan is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A couple questions. helterskelter Horse Nutrition 2 07-03-2013 04:38 PM
I have a couple questions..... WesternRider88 Draft Horses 10 06-11-2013 03:17 PM
Just a couple of questions TheMayoMat Horse Health 14 10-24-2012 10:44 PM
A couple of questions. Wes70 Horse Training 6 09-18-2012 07:45 PM
Couple of questions Solon Horse Forum Support Help Desk 1 02-08-2010 05:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome