A couple questions - Page 8 - The Horse Forum
 1109Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 1323 Old 10-14-2015, 10:05 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,838
• Horses: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
... move her hind from both directions, did you want hands only or with a stick? Or I can move it just by moving her in a tight circle. Thankfully moving her hind is one of the easiest things to do with her, she almost never resists. However, moving her forequarters is another story, ...
I mean with your finger(s)/hand putting pressure on the right place of the HQ, not leading her face in a tight circle. And not her skittling away from your touch.

Not surprising that moving her shoulders is more difficult to accomplish.

The thing here is I (we) would like to see how you are, and have been, working on it. So not giving any more hints. :)
DraftyAiresMum likes this.

anndankev is offline  
post #72 of 1323 Old 10-14-2015, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by anndankev View Post
I mean with your finger(s)/hand putting pressure on the right place of the HQ, not leading her face in a tight circle. And not her skittling away from your touch.

Not surprising that moving her shoulders is more difficult to accomplish.

The thing here is I (we) would like to see how you are, and have been, working on it. So not giving any more hints. :)
Ok thanks.

When my past trainer worked with her on the first day, getting her to move her forequarters was one of the first things she taught her and she didnt take it well. She panicked and acted like she was trying to kill her. It took a good solid minute or two of constant pressure before she crossed her front legs over and then we let her stand there to lick and chew. She took offense cause she didnt like hands up on her face.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #73 of 1323 Old 10-14-2015, 10:39 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 9,107
• Horses: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
This is one bad habit I had of mine. I would lead her one day expecting her in perfect position keeping up with my pace, then when I hand graze her, I give her tons of slack in the lead and when she roams for grass to new areas, I let her lead and get ahead of me.

NOW, I still give her lots of slack in the lead (cause from what a past trainer told me, when grazing your horse, you dont need to be standing right next to them as they need space too). Is this true? Can anyone confirm?

So I would give her lots of slack in her lead (Id say shes about 8-10ft from me) and when she wants to roam around, I quickly eat up the slack, tell her whoa, so I can get back to her side, have little slack in the lead, then lead her to where she wants to go.

Im not sure if this is the best way in going about it? Can you give me pointers? I have my doubts this is correct.

I have a hunch that I should not be giving her so much slack in the lead when shes grazing and that I should infact be standing right next close to her, so that when she wants to roam, I dont have to take a second or two to eat up the excess slack.



The good news is that I think (am confident anyhow) that I found a correction that works for her trying to get ahead of me while leading. I started it last night and will continue with it tonight and so on. One of the problems I have is that I give up on ques too fast. Just because I get a reaction from her that I dont want or im finding it doesnt work as well as I hope, i soon stop it and move onto the next method of correcting. Well Im confident this will work, I just need to be conistant with it every single time, every single day I see her.

I did gain some confidence lately because Ive been working with her on the past week on another habit of hers that I want to get rid of and ive been seeing results the past couple days. The correction method was one suggsted by a friend of mine. Because of this, I make sure i stay consistent each time so that she learns.
No hand grazing at all for now. She needs to learn she has to do what you want when you have her in hand.

R.I.P. JC 5/19/85 - 12/9/14. You made my life better.
JCnGrace is offline  
post #74 of 1323 Old 10-14-2015, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCnGrace View Post
No hand grazing at all for now. She needs to learn she has to do what you want when you have her in hand.
Oh, what if I held her like as if i was leading her with little slack in the lead?

Is it true though that you would be in close to your horse when grazing?
Hoofpic is offline  
post #75 of 1323 Old 10-14-2015, 10:53 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 16,205
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
Oh, what if I held her like as if i was leading her with little slack in the lead?

Is it true though that you would be in close to your horse when grazing?
Has nothing to do with where or how you hold her. Grazing is a privilege. One she hasn't earned yet. I don't hand graze any horse who isn't 100% in-tune with what I expect and that I know will respond 100% of the time in the same way.

What happens when she decides that she's not done grazing, even though you say she is, and she charges you or rears up and paws at you?
egrogan and JCnGrace like this.

http://i42.tinypic.com/140y8lj.png
Do not tell me I can't...because I will show you that I can.
DraftyAiresMum is offline  
post #76 of 1323 Old 10-14-2015, 10:58 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,978
• Horses: 1
Out of curiosity have you gone to your instructor or BO about this? What have they said ?
Rainaisabelle is offline  
post #77 of 1323 Old 10-14-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum View Post
Has nothing to do with where or how you hold her. Grazing is a privilege. One she hasn't earned yet. I don't hand graze any horse who isn't 100% in-tune with what I expect and that I know will respond 100% of the time in the same way.

What happens when she decides that she's not done grazing, even though you say she is, and she charges you or rears up and paws at you?
Before she has refused to listen when i tell her shes done grazing. She will put her head back down but I immediately give a sharp yank on the lead and her head is back up. The last time this happened was a couple months ago and she learned that i will give her a sharp yank if she doesnt listen.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #78 of 1323 Old 10-14-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Alright, I took a video of me tonight doing the routines Anna suggested. Sorry, it was a bit long, I had a bit of trouble getting her to trot with me on the lead so I had to do it a few times.

But its sure interesting watching yourself afterwards in a video.

Because the file is over 3GB I will need to upload it in the morning at work (which is a much faster connection than home).

The video is obviously crystal clear as I used my work studio quality video camera.
anndankev and greentree like this.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #79 of 1323 Old 10-14-2015, 09:25 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,838
• Horses: 12
Can't wait to see it. And with what you've said it has already done you some good, both the making of it, and viewing yourself. :)
greentree and weedlady like this.

anndankev is offline  
post #80 of 1323 Old 10-14-2015, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by anndankev View Post
Can't wait to see it. And with what you've said it has already done you some good, both the making of it, and viewing yourself. :)
I watched the video and im going to take out a couple sections out as there wsas a couple times where i went off screen for too long (didnt do anything off screen).

She didnt like it when i tapped her barrel with the end of the lead. She didnt try to bite but she made a small gesture which i caught in the back of my eye and i smacked her on the muzzle with the end of the lead then lunged her for a couple circles but i couldnt do it hard because of the sticks in the ground and i didnt want her to run into them. Sucked!
greentree likes this.
Hoofpic is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A couple questions. helterskelter Horse Nutrition 2 07-03-2013 04:38 PM
I have a couple questions..... WesternRider88 Draft Horses 10 06-11-2013 03:17 PM
Just a couple of questions TheMayoMat Horse Health 14 10-24-2012 10:44 PM
A couple of questions. Wes70 Horse Training 6 09-18-2012 07:45 PM
Couple of questions Solon Horse Forum Support Help Desk 1 02-08-2010 05:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome