A couple questions - Page 81 - The Horse Forum
 1109Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #801 of 1323 Old 11-14-2015, 06:28 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,715
• Horses: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
How do you tell when your relationship with your horse gets all dialed in?

You're not the first person to say that my mare and I will be very compatible once our relationship gets stronger, one of my past trainers said it as well. Infact a couple of them.
It's not describable, but when it's right, you'll know it.
Hoofpic likes this.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #802 of 1323 Old 11-14-2015, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Today went really well!

Awhile back I had a friend ask me whats the best thing that my mare does and does extremely well. I didnt know what it was, I wasnt able to answer it. Well I was thinking about it again the other day and I now know what it is! Shes always easy to catch, never runs, resists and always stands quietly when she sees me coming. She will even come to me sometimes. I think this is a very good quality for any horse to have and its perhaps one that I should reward her more?

I caught her and I had a treat in my hand. I went about my business (lead around the neck, was about to start haltering her, (she smelt the treat right away!), then I lowered the halter and once her head followed, I said "good....good girl" praised and then treated.

Dream - one thing I realized is that you need to give verbal praise and rubs and scratches, BEFORE giving the treat because if you do the treat first, then my mare will just think that they just got a treat. But by verbal and physical praising first, then treat, it tells her she did what I wanted, and a treat is the reward.

Also, when I did it, her head came back up and thats when I gave her the treat (I know the head should be in the lowered position when treated right?). But when i gave verbal and physical praise, her head was still down but then came up as I treated. Darn.

I then took her into the roundpen to feed her the cubes but on the way there I picked up my bucket of soaked cubes. She immediately tried to get her nose in it and I said uh uh! She tried to speed up to get her nose into the bucket and I said uh uh! This was my fault, I should have anticipated this happening when picking up the bucket. I wasnt prepared.

Other than that, she once again led away from me perfectly everytime. With willingness and no resistance, no atittude. I think the only reason why she did it when I was leading her with the bucket of cubes in my other hand was because she knows there was food near her. But still Im hoping by teaching her that she doesnt get fed until she stands quietly and doesnt approach the food or me, then eventually I should be able to pick up any food, and she wont even turn her head to sniff it let alone try to get some.

I took her into the round pen and same thing as last time, got her to give me my space when entering and I didnt give her the food until she stood quietly. Today she was MUCH better than last time where I had to back her up 4 or 5 times. Today, only twice and she was a lot less aggresive in approaching me. I was very happy.

Even with unhaltering her and seeing how she doesnt fuss anymore, I am still praising her. Not over the top praise anymore but i still praise and reward.

Brushed her and just aside from that one time where she tried to swing her HQ my way, she was very good. Stood very well and of course having a bunch of other horses in the barn at the same time helped.

I always watch her ears when grooming her. She can tell me if she has any soar spots on her body or spots that she wants me to not touch.

I notice often one ear will be up and the other will be back or to the side. What does this mean?

I picked her hooves and I put her up against the wall for both sides. She was good, didnt resist but she was being a brat and she wasnt lifting her entire foot off the ground when I lifted it cause she would put some weight onto it once I got it off the ground. Still I managed to get them cleaned. I always say good girl after I do each foot and rub her.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #803 of 1323 Old 11-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,715
• Horses: 9
Understand Horse Body Language and You?ll Unlock the Equine Communication Code

I just skimmed this but it looks pretty good. Read it and especially about the ears, it will help you sort out a lot of what your mare is trying to express.

"She was good, didnt resist but she was being a brat and she wasnt lifting her entire foot off the ground when I lifted it cause she would put some weight onto it once I got it off the ground. Still I managed to get them cleaned. I always say good girl after I do each foot and rub her."

If she's being a brat, she's resisting. As soon as she gives you any grief at all about picking up her feet, that's where having a rope handy can be helpful. You ask her to pick up she does what she did tonight, you loop the rope around her foot and ask again and as soon as she gives you the "half ****" foot pick up, you lift it all the way up with the rope and set it down again, leave the rope around it. Ask again, if she doesn't pick all the way up, pull that foot right up and hold it for a minute and then let it down slooowly with the rope. Ask again and rinse and repeat until she gives you the whole foot on the ask and not the yank. Then clean her feet and tell her she was good. If she's not 100% cooperative with those feet, you don't ever say she's a good girl, because she's not. You don't have to get mad or yell, but you don't take any nonsense or anything less than, "Yes sir, right now sir. Let me pull my foot right up, sir." from her. Once you can say, "Frog" and she says, "Yes, sir, right away sir. How high and how wide would you like me to jump sir?" on her way up then you can say gooooood guuuurrrrrl! and follow with picking the feet. Right now you're struggling to lift the foot, then she lets you hold and clean it and you say she's good, but she wasn't, not really.
Hoofpic likes this.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #804 of 1323 Old 11-15-2015, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
Understand Horse Body Language and You?ll Unlock the Equine Communication Code

I just skimmed this but it looks pretty good. Read it and especially about the ears, it will help you sort out a lot of what your mare is trying to express.

"She was good, didnt resist but she was being a brat and she wasnt lifting her entire foot off the ground when I lifted it cause she would put some weight onto it once I got it off the ground. Still I managed to get them cleaned. I always say good girl after I do each foot and rub her."

If she's being a brat, she's resisting. As soon as she gives you any grief at all about picking up her feet, that's where having a rope handy can be helpful. You ask her to pick up she does what she did tonight, you loop the rope around her foot and ask again and as soon as she gives you the "half ****" foot pick up, you lift it all the way up with the rope and set it down again, leave the rope around it. Ask again, if she doesn't pick all the way up, pull that foot right up and hold it for a minute and then let it down slooowly with the rope. Ask again and rinse and repeat until she gives you the whole foot on the ask and not the yank. Then clean her feet and tell her she was good. If she's not 100% cooperative with those feet, you don't ever say she's a good girl, because she's not. You don't have to get mad or yell, but you don't take any nonsense or anything less than, "Yes sir, right now sir. Let me pull my foot right up, sir." from her. Once you can say, "Frog" and she says, "Yes, sir, right away sir. How high and how wide would you like me to jump sir?" on her way up then you can say gooooood guuuurrrrrl! and follow with picking the feet. Right now you're struggling to lift the foot, then she lets you hold and clean it and you say she's good, but she wasn't, not really.
Thanks for that link, that is a A++ read, had to bookmark it for ongoing reference.

Well I was always told that you cant expect any horse to completely take the weight off their leg once its lifted up and IF they do, they are being very nice to you.

I know when Ive lifted the foot of other horses (even going all the way back to Feb), most wouldnt completely take the weight off the leg once I had it up. Are these just badly trained horses?
Hoofpic is offline  
post #805 of 1323 Old 11-15-2015, 11:07 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,974
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
Understand Horse Body Language and You?ll Unlock the Equine Communication Code

I just skimmed this but it looks pretty good. Read it and especially about the ears, it will help you sort out a lot of what your mare is trying to express.

"She was good, didnt resist but she was being a brat and she wasnt lifting her entire foot off the ground when I lifted it cause she would put some weight onto it once I got it off the ground. Still I managed to get them cleaned. I always say good girl after I do each foot and rub her."

If she's being a brat, she's resisting. As soon as she gives you any grief at all about picking up her feet, that's where having a rope handy can be helpful. You ask her to pick up she does what she did tonight, you loop the rope around her foot and ask again and as soon as she gives you the "half ****" foot pick up, you lift it all the way up with the rope and set it down again, leave the rope around it. Ask again, if she doesn't pick all the way up, pull that foot right up and hold it for a minute and then let it down slooowly with the rope. Ask again and rinse and repeat until she gives you the whole foot on the ask and not the yank. Then clean her feet and tell her she was good. If she's not 100% cooperative with those feet, you don't ever say she's a good girl, because she's not. You don't have to get mad or yell, but you don't take any nonsense or anything less than, "Yes sir, right now sir. Let me pull my foot right up, sir." from her. Once you can say, "Frog" and she says, "Yes, sir, right away sir. How high and how wide would you like me to jump sir?" on her way up then you can say gooooood guuuurrrrrl! and follow with picking the feet. Right now you're struggling to lift the foot, then she lets you hold and clean it and you say she's good, but she wasn't, not really.
Thanks for that link, that is a A++ read, had to bookmark it for ongoing reference.

Well I was always told that you cant expect any horse to completely take the weight off their leg once its lifted up and IF they do, they are being very nice to you.

I know when Ive lifted the foot of other horses (even going all the way back to Feb), most wouldnt completely take the weight off the leg once I had it up. Are these just badly trained horses?
I really liked that link aswell. What do you mean weight off once you were holding it? Like we're they trying to lean on you or the leg you were holding or?
Rainaisabelle is offline  
post #806 of 1323 Old 11-15-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainaisabelle View Post
I really liked that link aswell. What do you mean weight off once you were holding it? Like we're they trying to lean on you or the leg you were holding or?
Well Ive picked feet from a good amount of horses of all ages and breeds, going back to when I was at my first trainer in feb, and it was her and a couple other people who told me that you cant expect every horse to completely take all weight off their leg thats lifted up.

For instance, some will start to lift just as they know you are wanting that foot lifted - my mare does this some times, which is great! Sometimes I bend down and she knows and she will lift her foot off the ground. If she does this, I will always say thank you to her because she is taking the initiative to make things easier for me.

But I just remember that of all the horses that ive cleaned their feet from, maybe 1 or 2 lifted their feet and actually held it up on their own so that if you were to let go, their leg would still be in the same spot where you had it when you were holding it.

Fortunately, my mare does this sometimes. Some days she is great where she will use her muscle to hold it up for me on her own. When Im done and slowly let go, her leg is still up in the air, then comes down slowly because she was using her muscle to hold it up for me. Again, if she does this, I always praise her for it.

But then other days, she will not want to hold it up at all (Which is fine), cant expect her to do this all the time. Just like some days she will be in a worse mood than others so she may not be as crazy to be brushed and have her hoofs picked. So she will put weight into that leg.

Like I said, I will try my best to hold and hold and not let go but if she puts too much weight into it, I need to let go becuse its not worth having her knee crash down onto the ground again and risk injury. I got lucky the first time this happened and very fortunate she was ok, no injury, no soreness, no bruising. But when she tries to put her weight onto that leg in hoping of being set free, if its too much weight, I will let go of the leg so she can put it back on the ground, then I take the palm of my hand and wallop her really hard on her belly. That gets her immediate attention every single time.

I learned this from my very first trainer (before I had my mare), who her horses would occasionally try this on her and she would wallop her so hard that the horse gets startled because they were caught off guard. But she only had to do it once because she sent the message loud and clear.

Last edited by Hoofpic; 11-15-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #807 of 1323 Old 11-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,715
• Horses: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
Thanks for that link, that is a A++ read, had to bookmark it for ongoing reference.

Well I was always told that you cant expect any horse to completely take the weight off their leg once its lifted up and IF they do, they are being very nice to you.

I know when Ive lifted the foot of other horses (even going all the way back to Feb), most wouldnt completely take the weight off the leg once I had it up. Are these just badly trained horses?
I expect, no demand that EVERY horse pick that hoof up and doesn't lean on me (what I think you're referring to when you say doesn't take the weight completely off?). That's why I break it down into eensy weensy steps when I'm training them to lift their hoof when I ask. They can get it right in each step before we go to the next. Right now, you say she's only half way picking up her hoof. Deal with that first. Then once she's giving it to you, if she leans deal with that. When she is freely giving you the hoof, standing quietly and not leaning, THEN you can clean her hoof and tell her she's a good girl. Otherwise, you need to break it back down into steps so that maybe picking up the hoof actually ends up in 3 or 4 good girls, or going back to the previous step and doing remedial work, before you get to pick up hoof freely, doesn't lean, clean hoof for 1 good girl.

Does that make sense?

Oh and in answer to your training question, yes, they have not been trained. Or if they have, they are trying you on which is another mark of being disrespectful.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #808 of 1323 Old 11-15-2015, 11:38 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Neverland
Posts: 535
• Horses: 0
You don't think a horse can lift their own foot and hold it up them self?

Horses do that all the time, how do you think they paw, or strike? We have a horse here that just stand like that, like a flamingo, when he's waiting to be fed.

A horse that has been well trained to pick up their feet will hold it up them self, not make you hold it for them. Of course, if you let them lean on you, they will.
enh817 is offline  
post #809 of 1323 Old 11-15-2015, 11:45 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,715
• Horses: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
Like I said, I will try my best to hold and hold and not let go but if she puts too much weight into it, I need to let go becuse its not worth having her knee crash down onto the ground again and risk injury.
No, that's where having the rope comes in handy. You pick up that hoof and she leans on you, put the food down and don't say a word. Go get the lead rope and pick up the hoof. If she leans into the rope, she MAY fall over on her side but she probably will figure it out before then and will stand up. If she doesn't, LET HER FALL. She will not get all that hurt, maybe her pride and maybe a bruise to remind her of how stupid she was but not seriously. Once she does that a time or 2, she will quit for good because she will have taught herself that she was being stupid. Every time you let her lean or drop that hoof with no repercussions, then you have taught her that you are her support post. Obviously, smacking her on the belly does NOT impress her for more than a second because she is still leaning. That's the 2nd step in the series of steps in teaching them to pick up their feet. Just because she will "hold her hoof up and not put it down" doesn't mean she's not leaning on you. When that happens, go back to the beginning and deal with it.
Whinnie likes this.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #810 of 1323 Old 11-15-2015, 11:51 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,974
• Horses: 1
I was going to say that if a horse is leaning or doing something stupid I would have just let them fall over they figure out pretty quickly that what they're doing isn't working because it's more effort for them to do the wrong thing then to just stand for a minute and get the job done.
Whinnie likes this.
Rainaisabelle is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A couple questions. helterskelter Horse Nutrition 2 07-03-2013 05:38 PM
I have a couple questions..... WesternRider88 Draft Horses 10 06-11-2013 04:17 PM
Just a couple of questions TheMayoMat Horse Health 14 10-24-2012 11:44 PM
A couple of questions. Wes70 Horse Training 6 09-18-2012 08:45 PM
Couple of questions Solon Horse Forum Support Help Desk 1 02-08-2010 06:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome