A couple questions - Page 99 - The Horse Forum
 1109Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #981 of 1323 Old 11-21-2015, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
Today I went out to find a blanket liner for one of my horses whose blanket hasn't arrived yet. I got outside to find that my entire flock of guinea hens, that's been gone for WEEKS, had returned. They came running and I just had to stand and listen to them and look at them and just rejoice in their return. Then I stopped and hand fed them for a while.

This is living in the now as opposed to being distracted. I didn't just lose my train of thought of finding a blanket liner. I made a conscious decision to stop and celebrate the return of my guineas, in the now or in the moment rather than continuing on to find the blanket liner (and tick it off on my list of To Dos) and thinking that I'd put of celebrating the birds until I got done. Had I done that, the birds (who are the epitome of ADHD, especially guineas) may have found a reason to leave.
Ah ok I get it now. Thank you.

So basically dont be so X and O's with my mare. If Im at the barn and happen to get caught up with something else, its not a bad thing that I attend to that and put my mare to the side for the time being.

For instance, if say Im at the barn, have my mare with me and I notice the trainer inside teaching. I put my mare back in her field and go watch a lesson. Thats living in the now right?
Hoofpic is offline  
post #982 of 1323 Old 11-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,774
• Horses: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
Ah ok I get it now. Thank you.

So basically dont be so X and O's with my mare. If Im at the barn and happen to get caught up with something else, its not a bad thing that I attend to that and put my mare to the side for the time being.

For instance, if say Im at the barn, have my mare with me and I notice the trainer inside teaching. I put my mare back in her field and go watch a lesson. Thats living in the now right?
It is. And if you're working with your mare and you just stop and stand and smell the horse smell for a few minutes and don't worry about the work checklist. Take a minute to just BE, don't always feel like you have to DO all the time.
Hoofpic likes this.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #983 of 1323 Old 11-21-2015, 11:02 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,976
• Horses: 1
I feel like you have finally understood what we have been saying the last 99 pages. I am super happy for you!!
Hoofpic likes this.
Rainaisabelle is offline  
post #984 of 1323 Old 11-21-2015, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
Does your BO feed a round bale to the pasture horses? Because if he does, it's fun, mostly warm and pretty dry if you can crawl up into the bale and just sit or lay in the big pile of hay and listen to the horses munch, that's one of my favorite things to do. Especially in winter, if we get a sunny day, even if it's below freezing, I put on my warm clothes and go snuggle down in the hay and let the sun shine on me and I listen to the munching and the breathing. It's such a contented sound! I've even fallen asleep in the hay bale and wakened to find everyone but Patti standing guard. She's usually laid down close to me while I nap in the bale.
No every horse is hand fed. BO isnt a fan of round bales because he says the horses cant get injured, you wont know the quality of the hay thats deep in the bale until the horses get to it and it takes up space in he fields. Hes just not a fan, which is fine by me. I have no problem with that.

Lol i love listening to the horses eat, its funny.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #985 of 1323 Old 11-21-2015, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
It is. And if you're working with your mare and you just stop and stand and smell the horse smell for a few minutes and don't worry about the work checklist. Take a minute to just BE, don't always feel like you have to DO all the time.
I do this sometimes. I will sometimes have her tied up inside the barn and I will stand next to her and watch a lesson (shes fasincated by them and always entertained) so logically its us watching together.

I sometimes will go clean my buckets or clean up her brushes and feed and other misc stuff while she is tied. Is this still liviving in the now?

Theres also been times where I will talk to another boarder while she is tied. Or I could be leading her and I will stop to talk to someone. Is this living in the now too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainaisabelle View Post
I feel like you have finally understood what we have been saying the last 99 pages. I am super happy for you!!
Thanks. Well I have gotten it, I just didnt quite know what living in the now was.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #986 of 1323 Old 11-21-2015, 02:14 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,774
• Horses: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofpic View Post
I do this sometimes. I will sometimes have her tied up inside the barn and I will stand next to her and watch a lesson (shes fasincated by them and always entertained) so logically its us watching together.

I sometimes will go clean my buckets or clean up her brushes and feed and other misc stuff while she is tied. Is this still liviving in the now?

Theres also been times where I will talk to another boarder while she is tied. Or I could be leading her and I will stop to talk to someone. Is this living in the now too?



Thanks. Well I have gotten it, I just didnt quite know what living in the now was.
Well, yes, it is. It isn't necessarily how I was thinking of it, but on further thought, yes it is. Living in the now is just experiencing the moment and not necessarily being totally goal driven and missing what's going on around you.

A perfect example of someone NOT living in the now is the driven CEO who is so busy making a good life for his family that he never sees them. He misses out on his kids birthdays, their milestones, their recitals, their growing years. And one day, he wakes up and realizes, he never got to know them at all.

So what we're saying is, don't be so driven to have your horse be so perfect or so obedient and well trained, that you never get to know her or her quirks and funny things that she does and you end up with Robo-horse, who is so perfect you can't possibly live up to her expectations and you don't get any enjoyment out of each other.
Hoofpic likes this.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #987 of 1323 Old 11-21-2015, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians View Post
Well, yes, it is. It isn't necessarily how I was thinking of it, but on further thought, yes it is. Living in the now is just experiencing the moment and not necessarily being totally goal driven and missing what's going on around you.
Ok good. Now I know exactly what you mean. If I did this every time I saw her, I think it would be beneficial eh? Someone mentioned my mare will act differently, in what way? Is this really calming and soothing for horses?


Quote:
A perfect example of someone NOT living in the now is the driven CEO who is so busy making a good life for his family that he never sees them. He misses out on his kids birthdays, their milestones, their recitals, their growing years. And one day, he wakes up and realizes, he never got to know them at all.
Oh yes.

Quote:
So what we're saying is, don't be so driven to have your horse be so perfect or so obedient and well trained, that you never get to know her or her quirks and funny things that she does and you end up with Robo-horse, who is so perfect you can't possibly live up to her expectations and you don't get any enjoyment out of each other.
Good point. I will say though, I hate the word perfect as I truly believe there is no such thing as anything in life being perfect. But yes, you are right, get to know her on a more goofy level. I know she has an amazing personality and I want to discover that more. I feel if I can stop seeing everytime I go there as work for me and work for her, it will benefit us greatly.

I can still keep my goals for her and what my goals are WITH her. But I will stop going there every time with a specific list on what exactly im going to do with her that day. Sometimes I should just go with an open mind and do things as they please. Just go, see her and like you said, have an open mind. Talk to her, listen to her.
Hoofpic is offline  
post #988 of 1323 Old 11-21-2015, 02:35 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,774
• Horses: 9
Excellent!

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #989 of 1323 Old 11-21-2015, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,044
• Horses: 0
Haha i just got here and the whole herd are jist standing there with their butts to the wind. Haha
Hoofpic is offline  
post #990 of 1323 Old 11-21-2015, 05:42 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SW PA
Posts: 2,285
• Horses: 0
As the saying goes, 'stop and smell the roses'. You can't schedule everything in your life. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow.

Horses don't fret over what happened yesterday, and have no clue what tomorrow means.
Hoofpic likes this.
sarahfromsc is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A couple questions. helterskelter Horse Nutrition 2 07-03-2013 05:38 PM
I have a couple questions..... WesternRider88 Draft Horses 10 06-11-2013 04:17 PM
Just a couple of questions TheMayoMat Horse Health 14 10-24-2012 11:44 PM
A couple of questions. Wes70 Horse Training 6 09-18-2012 08:45 PM
Couple of questions Solon Horse Forum Support Help Desk 1 02-08-2010 06:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome