Does This Seem Like A Good Plan? - The Horse Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Durango
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-21-2018, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 69
• Horses: 0
Does This Seem Like A Good Plan?

So I really, really want to get back into barrel racing. So I'm going to keep on riding my two sisters horses, and keep on trying to get better. While researching more and more about horses. I'm really good a t researching. Like I literally know everything there is to know about hamsters. Then once I save up enough money I'll buy my own horse(my parents said they'll pay for half) I have experience owning my own horse. I used to have a pony, which I barrel raced on. Once I so'll d her I pretty much stopped riding. Then once I get my new w horse I'll take him/her to small ghmkhanas and barrel racing's.

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway

-John Wayne
Durango is offline  
post #2 of 7 Old 11-21-2018, 10:56 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 176
• Horses: 1
Will you have enough money to afford the care for the horse? Buying the horse is the cheap part!
CharlotteThePenguin is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 11-21-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 69
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteThePenguin View Post
Will you have enough money to afford the care for the horse? Buying the horse is the cheap part!
Yes. S/He'll be living in my sister's barn. Since all the her horses get free fed s/he will be eating with them. And I fill in with any extra expenses. And of course have an emergency vet bill. My sister agreed with all of this of course.

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway

-John Wayne
Durango is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 11-21-2018, 12:41 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 7,235
• Horses: 3
You may have come across in your research that it takes approximately two years to train a horse on barrels so they are "finished". Do you have that figured into your plan?


At what level do you want to be competitive? I know you said local gymkhanas and barrel races, but (1) do you want to go for fun [and donate your entry fee] or (2) do you want to WIN?


You didn't mention those goals. That will influence how expensive said horse is that you plan on buying. Sure, any horse is capable of barrel racing, but a prospect that is bred for barrels will be more expensive than one that just has "general" breeding.


If you plan on buying a horse that is already started on barrels, it depends on your area, but you are probably looking around $5,000 and up for a started barrel prospect. It will usually be around $10,000 for one already running and placing in the low end (3D and 4D) and the price continues to go up from there. It also depends on what AGE of horse you have in mind.

∞*˚ Βгįťţαňγ ˚*∞
It is not enough to know how to ride; one must know how to fall.
beau159 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 11-21-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 69
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau159 View Post
You may have come across in your research that it takes approximately two years to train a horse on barrels so they are "finished". Do you have that figured into your plan?


At what level do you want to be competitive? I know you said local gymkhanas and barrel races, but (1) do you want to go for fun [and donate your entry fee] or (2) do you want to WIN?


You didn't mention those goals. That will influence how expensive said horse is that you plan on buying. Sure, any horse is capable of barrel racing, but a prospect that is bred for barrels will be more expensive than one that just has "general" breeding.


If you plan on buying a horse that is already started on barrels, it depends on your area, but you are probably looking around $5,000 and up for a started barrel prospect. It will usually be around $10,000 for one already running and placing in the low end (3D and 4D) and the price continues to go up from there. It also depends on what AGE of horse you have in mind.
At first I'll just be doing it for fun, but eventually I'm hoping to go to WIN. I'm going to get a horse that is already running barrels preferably. In my area horses are really,really cheap where I live.
You can buy a barrel racing 10 year old quarter horse for 1,500$. I'm looking for a 7-10 year old.

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway

-John Wayne
Durango is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 11-21-2018, 04:48 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,737
• Horses: 2
You know, you're young and just getting started in becoming a bit more independent in the horse care world, and you have a support system. You've got a lot going for you. My advice is to do everything that catches your fancy. Gymkhana is a great place to start. Find other riders that you admire and talk to them. I think you'll find that this kind of hands on experience is way more fun than endless online research. You will be frustrated and challenged, not just for a few years, but for the rest of your equestrian life.
Boo Walker is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 11-21-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 69
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Walker View Post
You know, you're young and just getting started in becoming a bit more independent in the horse care world, and you have a support system. You've got a lot going for you. My advice is to do everything that catches your fancy. Gymkhana is a great place to start. Find other riders that you admire and talk to them. I think you'll find that this kind of hands on experience is way more fun than endless online research. You will be frustrated and challenged, not just for a few years, but for the rest of your equestrian life.
I agree. I will both because I want as much information as possible.

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway

-John Wayne
Durango is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What level rider do I seem like? Why can't I seem to progress or improve? EnglishRider4Life English Riding 7 07-26-2014 05:00 AM
I need a plan! Does anyone 'make' a plan??? Muppetgirl Horse Training 15 11-03-2012 09:11 PM
Does Equine Massage Therapy seem like a good career choice? uhlysse Horse Talk 2 05-10-2011 10:53 AM
Does this feed plan sound good for a 2yo? CinderEve Horse Nutrition 16 12-11-2010 08:08 AM
Does this sound like a good plan? AussieDaisyGirl Horse Training 2 10-12-2009 09:42 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome