Good News & Bad News - The Horse Forum
 38Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 02-15-2015, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 350
• Horses: 3
Good News & Bad News

I thought I would share some need with everyone. I have good news and bad news.

Bad news:
I don't know if any of you recall that I own a pure black Mustang mare? Well, My parents are making me sale her. My parents say I don't know enough about training horses, and we can't afford a trainer, She is for sale for 200$ or lower if she goes to a good home. I'll post a Craigslist link down below for her if anyone is interested.

Good News:
Yesterday my friend contacted me about a paint mare that would be a good horse for me. I called up the owner of her and we went out and took a look at her. Her name is Hunter and I got to test ride her! She's a very sweet horse and I enjoyed riding her. Long story short she will be arriving at her new home in a few weeks.

If anyone on this site is interested in my mustang Midnight and need more information on her.
Please click here, or copy and paste into your search bar. : Green Broke Mustang Mare- Great project horse!

The Mare in the photo is my Mustang for sale name Midnight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141208_065159.jpg (76.7 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by Trusty Rusty; 02-15-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Trusty Rusty is offline  
post #2 of 15 Old 02-15-2015, 12:30 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Range, WI
Posts: 1,977
• Horses: 8
It sounds like a good decision.

Do be aware with your mare proceed so low the kill buyer may try to pick her up. Make sure you screen potential buyers closely. Check vet/farrier references.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yogiwick and twolucid like this.
nikelodeon79 is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 02-15-2015, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 350
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikelodeon79 View Post
It sounds like a good decision.

Do be aware with your mare proceed so low the kill buyer may try to pick her up. Make sure you screen potential buyers closely. Check vet/farrier references.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the advice! :) will do.
Trusty Rusty is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 02-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Wilson, N C
Posts: 1,699
• Horses: 3
Trusty,

I know you're young, so I'll try to be as kind as possible in my remarks to you. At this point in your life, you should not be considering ownership of any horse. You have neither the required experience to care for and train a horse, nor the finances to maintain a horse.

Your first horse, just a few months or less back, your mom insisted you get rid of because you could not afford to treat it for navicular. I believe you priced it at $50. On Craigslist. God knows what happened to him, as that was kill buyer price.

Then you get a green mustang that you can't handle/train and your parents are forcing you to get rid of it.

Now you say you're getting a barrel horse, yet you post for help on here as you know nothing about barrel racing. What will happen when this horse doesn't work out??

You are dealing with a live animal with considerable care required... they are not disposable, you don't dump one because it doesn't fit your minimal experience level, and jump right into your next dream horse.

For now, I strongly suggest that instead of owning a horse, you get a job or volunteer at some barns to learn about basic care for horses, get some lessons in handling and riding, and maybe after a few years of learning, THEN you might be ready to own a horse. Join 4 H, they're a great organization for teaching teens about horse care.


Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by tinyliny; 02-16-2015 at 03:44 AM.
HombresArablegacy is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 02-15-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 350
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HombresArablegacy View Post
Trusty,

I know you're young, so I'll try to be as kind as possible in my remarks to you. At this point in your life, you should not be considering ownership of any horse. You have neither the required experience to care for and train a horse, nor the finances to maintain a horse.

Your first horse, just a few months or less back, your mom insisted you get rid of because you could not afford to treat it for navicular. I believe you priced it at $50. On Craigslist. God knows what happened to him, as that was kill buyer price.

Then you get a green mustang that you can't handle/train and your parents are forcing you to get rid of it.

Now you say you're getting a barrel horse, yet you post for help on here as you know nothing about barrel racing. What will happen when this horse doesn't work out??

You are dealing with a live animal with considerable care required... they are not disposable, you don't dump one because it doesn't fit your minimal experience level, and jump right into your next dream horse.

For now, I strongly suggest that instead of owning a horse, you get a job or volunteer at some barns to learn about basic care for horses, get some lessons in handling and riding, and maybe after a few years of learning, THEN you might be ready to own a horse. Join 4 H, they're a great organization for teaching teens about horse care.

Until then, your owning a horse can only be considered a great disservice to any horse in your possesion.
Posted via Mobile Device
The good thing about this barrel horse I'm getting is. If she doesn't work out the owner said they would take her back. And I am taking lessons, learning how to care for a horse. And Rusty went to a good friend of mines coworker. He's in no danger I would NEVER send my horse to a kill buyer on purpess. I am also taking lessons in horse owner ship and riding

Last edited by tinyliny; 02-16-2015 at 03:45 AM.
Trusty Rusty is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 02-15-2015, 08:52 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,402
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusty Rusty View Post
The good thing about this barrel horse I'm getting is. If she doesn't work out the owner said they would take her back. And I am taking lessons, learning how to care for a horse. And Rusty went to a good friend of mines coworker. He's in no danger I would NEVER send my horse to a kill buyer on purpess. I am also taking lessons in horse owner ship and riding
While you may not intentionally sell your horse to a kill buyer, you have to realize that your actions can contribute to the horse ending up with one. Pricing a horse too cheaply can do that. Going through horses because they've become too much for you can do that too. Don't close your eyes to the risks.

You would be better served just sticking with lessons instead of trying to own a horse right now. Your riding abilities and preferences will change as you progress, and the best horse for you right now may not be the best horse later.

It's awesome that you're taking lessons, but owning a horse is a 24/7 experience - a lesson here and there still leaves a LOT of time where you just are out of your experience base.

* I'm often reading and posting from mobile and Siri loves to make a mockery of the English language.
DancingArabian is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 02-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kansas, USA
Posts: 2,983
• Horses: 2
I know we're all worried about her and stuff, but I'm sure there are many of us that dove into horse ownership with half the knowledge we should have known. I'm one of them. Now while I got a good horse that taught me a lot, I improved with lessons and I'm sure Trusty will be okay with an older, good horse and some lessons.

Keep going, keep moving forward. You'll get it together someday.
Roman is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 02-15-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 350
• Horses: 3
Midnight went to a new home. She's going tomorrow
Trusty Rusty is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 02-15-2015, 11:37 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,347
• Horses: 0
Honestly I think a new horse is a bad idea. Focus on your horsemanship, school work and other issues first. Revisit ownership later when you've had time to mature a bit more.

BB ~ 2014 Trakehner Bratty Mare ~ 1993 CSHA Em ~ 2007 Standardbred
NBEventer is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 02-16-2015, 12:59 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 452
• Horses: 3
I don't know how old you are OP, but I didn't go into owning a horse until I was 20 when I had a full time job and no more schooling to go through.
Paintedponies1992 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good News Bad News : everything works out! Mckellar English Riding 7 07-28-2012 08:32 AM
Arie update- good news and bad news Ariel Horse Health 12 12-08-2010 11:45 PM
Good News, Bad News, And ANOTHER Annoying Person AngelWithoutWings54 Horse Riding & Horse Activity 4 09-23-2010 11:58 PM
Jumping... Good News and Bad News AngelWithoutWings54 Horse Training 11 06-26-2010 09:51 AM
Bad news then good news. APHA MOMMA Horse Talk 18 09-18-2009 03:23 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome