HELP! My horse is a nightmare to get in! - The Horse Forum
 21Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-28-2015, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: England
Posts: 139
• Horses: 2
Unhappy HELP! My horse is a nightmare to get in!

Please Can u help me? I have been advised to give my horse treats so she will come in. She has had no problems in her field since a gelding moved out and she moved from the mares field. Nowadays if I don't bring treats in she trots up to me (all good) realises I have no treats, bites me and runs off. If I grab her head collar she bites . Unfortunatly if I have treats she will take them out of my hand (she is very good at burrowing!) and runs slowly off (again!) She is also very grumpy when coming in from the field but is as good a gold inside. She is only five bear in mind! Also she is very strong and will rear paw kick or anything once you have her. And once again, also she is in on Saturday and Sunday until I have ridden because if you get her in, in the middle of the day she will give you the run around and kick for a good hour! She will run around for half an hour in evenings and if she is on her own she should be fine but occasionally the only way to get her in (on her own) is to free lunge in the field until she lets you come and then you can't work her because she is sweating so bad! Please help me this is driving me nuts. Also one more thing she is a pain to look after naturally
Dustyisace is offline  
post #2 of 14 Old 06-28-2015, 09:51 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South Australia
Posts: 198
• Horses: 4
Sounds like she completely has your measure and has no respect for you at all. She thinks you are there to bring her treats and leave! I think you need an experienced person working with you before you get hurt. Also, please dont leave a halter on in the paddock, she could get caught up and injured. I know you are finding it hard enough to catch, but leaving the halter on is not the answer.
aussiemum is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 06-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,295
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyisace View Post
Please Can u help me? I have been advised to give my horse treats so she will come in. She has had no problems in her field since a gelding moved out and she moved from the mares field. Nowadays if I don't bring treats in she trots up to me (all good) realises I have no treats, bites me and runs off. If I grab her head collar she bites . Unfortunatly if I have treats she will take them out of my hand (she is very good at burrowing!) and runs slowly off (again!) She is also very grumpy when coming in from the field but is as good a gold inside. She is only five bear in mind! Also she is very strong and will rear paw kick or anything once you have her. And once again, also she is in on Saturday and Sunday until I have ridden because if you get her in, in the middle of the day she will give you the run around and kick for a good hour! She will run around for half an hour in evenings and if she is on her own she should be fine but occasionally the only way to get her in (on her own) is to free lunge in the field until she lets you come and then you can't work her because she is sweating so bad! Please help me this is driving me nuts. Also one more thing she is a pain to look after naturally
Treats can be very useful as a reward for good behavior but in this case they are rewarding bad behavior. You sound as if you are somewhat inexperienced and not an assertive person. Your horse does have issues that need to be corrected but you need some professional help to be able to deal with them. I am extremely patient and can be very tolerant and easy with horses but if a horse bites me they are going to be reprimanded. The rearing and pawing once you catch her . . . I would give her two choices. She can do that and be corrected for it or she can behave and be rewarded but she IS coming in either way. I think the free lunging in the field is a mistake too. As long as she is running around she is not being caught until she is exhausted and that is not correcting the problem it is enforcing it. Please get some experienced help with this before it gets worse. It also sounds like she has a lot of energy so I would question what she is being fed and might consider a calming supplement.
Textan49 is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 06-28-2015, 01:08 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 12,001
• Horses: 3
I agree you definitely need help. There's just no advice given over a forum that will safely help you in this situation.

Do the right thing for you and your horse and get help. Am I picking up correctly that she's in a boarding situation? Do other people have trouble with her?
loosie and Dustyisace like this.
Yogiwick is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 06-29-2015, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 20,527
• Horses: 0
Ditto to others. As you're obviously quite inexperienced and your horse has already inadvertently been taught(as Tex said, you're reinforcing her for 'bad' behaviour ATM) not just annoying, but dangerous behaviour, I would actually suggest you don't even attempt to deal with this horse yourself any more, unless under experienced instruction. For both your sakes(& anyone else has to deal with her) It is dangerous not only for you, but for her. The more practice she gets, learning that biting, kicking, rearing... giving the finger to humans - is the Right Answer, the stronger this attitude will get & the harder to change, so even if you admit defeat later down the track, she may have little hope of a good home because she's dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyisace View Post
Also one more thing she is a pain to look after naturally
What does that mean?
Dustyisace and Textan49 like this.
loosie is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 06-29-2015, 11:01 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 12,001
• Horses: 3
I think it just means the horse is a brat in day to day life even aside from being brought in

(I'm sure we all read that in between the lines anyways!)
Dustyisace likes this.
Yogiwick is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 06-29-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: England
Posts: 139
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogiwick View Post
I agree you definitely need help. There's just no advice given over a forum that will safely help you in this situation.

Do the right thing for you and your horse and get help. Am I picking up correctly that she's in a boarding situation? Do other people have trouble with her?
Sorry I don't know what a 'boarding situation is' but yes unless they don't work her. I would like her to not associate coming in with work but as I am at a school which finishes at 4:00pm this is only possible at the weekend. I think I will. My inscructor keeps her horse on my yard, thanks for the help xx
Dustyisace is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 06-29-2015, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: England
Posts: 139
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogiwick View Post
I think it just means the horse is a brat in day to day life even aside from being brought in

(I'm sure we all read that in between the lines anyways!)
Haha lol true
Dustyisace is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 06-29-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: England
Posts: 139
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie View Post
Ditto to others. As you're obviously quite inexperienced and your horse has already inadvertently been taught(as Tex said, you're reinforcing her for 'bad' behaviour ATM) not just annoying, but dangerous behaviour, I would actually suggest you don't even attempt to deal with this horse yourself any more, unless under experienced instruction. For both your sakes(& anyone else has to deal with her) It is dangerous not only for you, but for her. The more practice she gets, learning that biting, kicking, rearing... giving the finger to humans - is the Right Answer, the stronger this attitude will get & the harder to change, so even if you admit defeat later down the track, she may have little hope of a good home because she's dangerous.



What does that mean?
She can be a mare when she wants to be. And I will try to get experienced help. RThxs x
Dustyisace is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 06-29-2015, 12:08 PM
Started
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,564
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyisace View Post
Sorry I don't know what a 'boarding situation is' but yes unless they don't work her. I would like her to not associate coming in with work but as I am at a school which finishes at 4:00pm this is only possible at the weekend. I think I will. My inscructor keeps her horse on my yard, thanks for the help xx
Don't always work her when she comes in...AFTER you have gained her respect.

A lot of times I will grab my horses out of the pasture to just groom them or hand graze them.
Chasin Ponies likes this.
jenkat86 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Total horse selling nightmare :( twogeldings Horse Talk 8 12-13-2014 10:52 PM
Horse Boardin Nightmare jinx1990 Horse Talk 8 12-05-2012 08:28 PM
Getting a new horse - At the same nightmare of a boarding center Jalter Horse Boarding 22 11-20-2012 08:32 PM
deworming a horse= nightmare specialdelivery Horse Talk 19 01-29-2010 03:45 PM
Help! Nightmare horse!! bolly Horse Grooming 14 03-29-2007 12:09 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome