Horse feels like it's going uphill sometimes - what does that mean? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 12-17-2015, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,672
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by beverleyy View Post
Sounds like the horse is simply going correctly at that point in time, which is a good thing!

I'm curious though, why haven't you asked the instructor what's going on? They are there first hand watching and coaching as this is happening, they will be able to tell you if the above really is what is going on.
It happened either when my instructor wasn't there or she was engaged with someone else. It seems I ride better when she is not around :)

Just kidding, she is great and really helped me a lot. We are trying to get me more independent, that's why I'm riding on my own/her not paying attention. I'm not very confident and I was very fixated on my instructor to do anything so we came up with a plan to put a stop to that.

I didn't ask her about it afterwards because I'm over my self-imposed "stupid question quota" for the month. It seems I'm using the forum to catch the overflow, sorry guys :)
Horsef is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 12-17-2015, 01:15 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: west coast
Posts: 1,484
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsef View Post
It happened either when my instructor wasn't there or she was engaged with someone else. It seems I ride better when she is not around :)

Just kidding, she is great and really helped me a lot. We are trying to get me more independent, that's why I'm riding on my own/her not paying attention. I'm not very confident and I was very fixated on my instructor to do anything so we came up with a plan to put a stop to that.

I didn't ask her about it afterwards because I'm over my self-imposed "stupid question quota" for the month. It seems I'm using the forum to catch the overflow, sorry guys :)
While it's great you're doing some riding on your own, I am hoping though that you aren't referring to a paid lesson when she isn't paying attention to you?

And IMHO, if my students weren't asking me questions, that's when I'd be worried. You need to ask questions, and a good instructor will answer all of your questions no matter how "stupid" they may seem to you. So I would really encourage you to ask your instructor all the questions you want, that's what you're paying her for.
Whinnie and klstarrs like this.
beverleyy is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 12-17-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,672
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by beverleyy View Post
While it's great you're doing some riding on your own, I am hoping though that you aren't referring to a paid lesson when she isn't paying attention to you?

And IMHO, if my students weren't asking me questions, that's when I'd be worried. You need to ask questions, and a good instructor will answer all of your questions no matter how "stupid" they may seem to you. So I would really encourage you to ask your instructor all the questions you want, that's what you're paying her for.
I ride on my own either before or after my lesson, and she doesn't charge me for extra time either. She does keep an eye/ear out and jumps in if I get in trouble. She is great :)

I ask a LOT of questions. A LOT. The other day we discussed the mechanics of a cat galloping for 10 minutes. A cat. Yup.

Regardless, thank you for your advice.
SaddleUp158 and beverleyy like this.
Horsef is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 12-17-2015, 04:00 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: west coast
Posts: 1,484
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsef View Post
I ride on my own either before or after my lesson, and she doesn't charge me for extra time either. She does keep an eye/ear out and jumps in if I get in trouble. She is great :)

I ask a LOT of questions. A LOT. The other day we discussed the mechanics of a cat galloping for 10 minutes. A cat. Yup.

Regardless, thank you for your advice.

Good to hear! IMHO, that is what anyone needs in an instructor. I have previously coached in the past, and now only on occasion, so I completely understand that time is money and the instructor cannot always stick around for XYZ, but if they are willing to take the lesson over by 5-10-15 minutes (provided their schedule allows) to make sure the lesson ends on a good note and takes the time to answer questions, then you've got a good instructor.
Horsef likes this.
beverleyy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Galloping Uphill StormWolf68 Horse Training 25 07-22-2015 12:09 PM
Is my trailer too uphill? Tessa7707 Cars and Trucks 17 10-20-2012 10:42 PM
Need help getting spots on a horse with a very uphill canter DCRAZE87 English Riding 1 10-06-2011 02:26 AM
Need Help. New Horse does not like to go uphill. JJMusic930 Trail Riding 20 10-08-2010 06:39 PM
bucking uphill? Amlalriiee Trail Riding 13 04-24-2010 07:37 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome