How to prevent an arena sour horse if I'm only comfortable in the arena - Page 5 - The Horse Forum
 182Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 82 Old 03-25-2016, 05:36 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Palmer Lake CO
Posts: 1,470
• Horses: 3
Hi Jan, All!

My boys see zero arena time; we either ride in the neighborhood (dirt residential roads, or off-trail), or trailer out.
That said, _all_ of the horses in my care enjoy hand-grazing. We regularly, even during the winter months, go out for The Greener Grass on the Other Side. I take them out singly, or sometimes in pairs. They will line up at the gate awaiting their turns.
I count this as quality "bonding" time with them; just the same as time in the saddle, and I think the critters would agree.
You might give it a try.

Steve
Jan1975 likes this.

Steve Jernigan KG0MB
Microelectronics Research
University of Colorado
george the mule is offline  
post #42 of 82 Old 03-25-2016, 06:23 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 455
• Horses: 1
Jan - I am now going to apologize for hijacking your thread

I skimmed it quickly this morning, and turned it into what I needed it to be at that moment! Anyway, I so admire people who show and who are refining their skills in the arena. I'm just not on that path - I never rode as a kid and don't have that muscle memory darn it :) Plus I haven't had time to get bored with trails! I'm moving my mare soon to my friend's place and we ride on about 70 acres of lovely pastures and woods behind her home. From horseback I've gotten to see a longhorn calf being born, and some wildlife I would not have seen on foot - so I'm content with that. I fall asleep at night sometimes reliving some of those rides - it's how I wind down. I LOVE to go to shows and admire the riders there. How DO you guys endure the stress!!!??

BTW the ride went well, no big issues - we kept it short and simple, and I learned some things about my girl lol. I might start my own thread on that - will leave yours alone! Now back to regular programming.......
Jan1975 likes this.
Folly is offline  
post #43 of 82 Old 03-25-2016, 07:04 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 15,433
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
I LOVE to go to shows and admire the riders there. How DO you guys endure the stress!!!??
Vodka helps!

Seriously it is a different sort of stress, on both horse and rider. To me it is not actually that stressful, I was really happy last week in an indoor arena, with a reasonable audience (who you dismiss from your mind...totally irrelevant to the day) and a judge, who is going to list every way you suck, and also say a few nice things about you.

I like it, I am a dressage rider, which means only me and my horse in the ring, so no worries about anyone else, jut me and my horse. There could be, and are disruptions, and ones that you never think about......Gibbs last year had a small melt down over someone sitting in a part of the stands not usually used.....not any closer to him, just different place, took me by surprise, just didn't expect something to phase him. But over all it is a relatively safe and controlled environment, and I enjoy it.

And, there is of course, as I said, always vodka......


“Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity”
Golden Horse is offline  
post #44 of 82 Old 03-25-2016, 07:52 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SW PA
Posts: 2,285
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse View Post
Vodka helps!

Seriously it is a different sort of stress, on both horse and rider. To me it is not actually that stressful, I was really happy last week in an indoor arena, with a reasonable audience (who you dismiss from your mind...totally irrelevant to the day) and a judge, who is going to list every way you suck, and also say a few nice things about you.

I like it, I am a dressage rider, which means only me and my horse in the ring, so no worries about anyone else, jut me and my horse. There could be, and are disruptions, and ones that you never think about......Gibbs last year had a small melt down over someone sitting in a part of the stands not usually used.....not any closer to him, just different place, took me by surprise, just didn't expect something to phase him. But over all it is a relatively safe and controlled environment, and I enjoy it.

And, there is of course, as I said, always vodka......

Or tequila, corona, or wine....

I agree with Golden, when I come down center line I don't notice the crowd or even the judge. I'm listening to the reader, I am looking at the letters, I am thinking where my marks are to make a perfect circle, where to make my transitions.

Just like I don't notice the deer, the pheasant, the grouse slamming into my horses chest on a trail ride, the ATV, Or dirt bike, or coyote. Nerves are unnerving wether coming down centerline, coming out of the chute, or going down the trail.

In all it should just be you and your horse doing y'all's best.
sarahfromsc is offline  
post #45 of 82 Old 03-25-2016, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,246
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folly View Post
Jan - I am now going to apologize for hijacking your thread

I skimmed it quickly this morning, and turned it into what I needed it to be at that moment! Anyway, I so admire people who show and who are refining their skills in the arena. I'm just not on that path - I never rode as a kid and don't have that muscle memory darn it :) Plus I haven't had time to get bored with trails! I'm moving my mare soon to my friend's place and we ride on about 70 acres of lovely pastures and woods behind her home. From horseback I've gotten to see a longhorn calf being born, and some wildlife I would not have seen on foot - so I'm content with that. I fall asleep at night sometimes reliving some of those rides - it's how I wind down. I LOVE to go to shows and admire the riders there. How DO you guys endure the stress!!!??

BTW the ride went well, no big issues - we kept it short and simple, and I learned some things about my girl lol. I might start my own thread on that - will leave yours alone! Now back to regular programming.......
I don't mind at all! Hijack away! I'm glad your ride went well!
Golden Horse and Folly like this.
Jan1975 is offline  
post #46 of 82 Old 03-26-2016, 02:46 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: In the foothills of the Smokies
Posts: 174
• Horses: 0
Posted via Mobile Device
ManicMini is offline  
post #47 of 82 Old 03-26-2016, 01:10 PM
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 34,016
• Horses: 3
I do think we need to be careful not to confuse a person who feels anxious about riding on trails for some reason with them having a horse that isn't properly broke or trained to ride out of an arena
Not the same thing.
george the mule likes this.
jaydee is offline  
post #48 of 82 Old 03-26-2016, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,246
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I do think we need to be careful not to confuse a person who feels anxious about riding on trails for some reason with them having a horse that isn't properly broke or trained to ride out of an arena
Not the same thing.
Yes, I am the second one. And two totally different scenarios.
Jan1975 is offline  
post #49 of 82 Old 03-26-2016, 02:58 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Palmer Lake CO
Posts: 1,470
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I do think we need to be careful not to confuse a person who feels anxious about riding on trails for some reason with them having a horse that isn't properly broke or trained to ride out of an arena
Not the same thing.
Hi JayDee!

Nope, but often closely related; chicken_or_egg scenario.

Steve

Steve Jernigan KG0MB
Microelectronics Research
University of Colorado
george the mule is offline  
post #50 of 82 Old 03-26-2016, 04:30 PM
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 34,016
• Horses: 3
They can be Steve but you still have to treat as individual problems
A UK friend who's now in the 'older rider' category has always ridden out on the roads and tracks, never even owned a manège or riding ring recently bought a new pony as her mare is getting on in years and for some reason felt totally unsafe on this new one even though its always been a 'happy hacker' in its previous homes and came to her with excellent references. She's now sold it and its riding out with no trouble at all with its new owner.
I think with her its a trust thing - is it maybe an issue that comes along as we get older and more aware of what can wrong?
jaydee is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help, please - I'm arena sour Horsef New to Horses 19 09-08-2015 07:24 PM
Riding/arena sour? Standielove Horse Training 13 05-03-2015 03:52 PM
Preventing a horse from getting arena sour during the winter! Chevylover96 Horse Training 4 09-23-2014 10:17 PM
Arena Sour? gothicangel69 Horse Talk 0 06-29-2012 12:11 PM
Arena sour? Rowzy Horse Training 28 03-16-2010 03:42 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome