How to water down a horse who hates the hose - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 44Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 Old 07-17-2015, 07:57 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 8,483
• Horses: 0
Sometimes a horse doesn't like the water because it gives them a shock in a place where they hurt. I have noticed that with my horses.

I will probably annoy quite a few people with this one but:

My IR horse sweats like somebody did turn the water hose on him. That means he gets showered every night, before Jammie time.

He is always good about standing (loose in the yard by the fence) without a halter to get showered down. I take his face mask off and have at it with the shower nozzle on the water hose.

Thursday night he was about 120' from the barn, grazing. I held up the water hose, called his name and asked if he wanted his bath. As I walked toward him with a 100' hose that wouldn't reach him, he surprised me by hurriedly walking to me, then past me and went right to his bath spot at the fence. I was still picking my jaw off the ground, when he turned his head to me, as if to say he was ready for his shower, what was I doing?

I have never tied any of my horses to bath them, but the horse in my avatar is the only other horse that would stand without a halter for a bath. I never expected my IR horse to walk 120' at liberty and assume his bath position without my help
natisha, egrogan, boots and 6 others like this.

A Good Horseman Doesn't Have To Tell Anyone; The Horse Already Knows.

I CAN'T ride 'em n slide 'em. I HAVE to lead 'em n feed 'em Thnx cowchick77.
walkinthewalk is offline  
post #12 of 27 Old 07-17-2015, 08:59 PM
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,293
• Horses: 0
One of my previous horses would take a hose almost full blast. He seemed to enjoy getting hosed down. The other, had to have it more like a gentle rain.



Saddlebag is offline  
post #13 of 27 Old 07-18-2015, 08:39 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 12,001
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinthewalk View Post
Sometimes a horse doesn't like the water because it gives them a shock in a place where they hurt. I have noticed that with my horses.

I will probably annoy quite a few people with this one but:

My IR horse sweats like somebody did turn the water hose on him. That means he gets showered every night, before Jammie time.

He is always good about standing (loose in the yard by the fence) without a halter to get showered down. I take his face mask off and have at it with the shower nozzle on the water hose.

Thursday night he was about 120' from the barn, grazing. I held up the water hose, called his name and asked if he wanted his bath. As I walked toward him with a 100' hose that wouldn't reach him, he surprised me by hurriedly walking to me, then past me and went right to his bath spot at the fence. I was still picking my jaw off the ground, when he turned his head to me, as if to say he was ready for his shower, what was I doing?

I have never tied any of my horses to bath them, but the horse in my avatar is the only other horse that would stand without a halter for a bath. I never expected my IR horse to walk 120' at liberty and assume his bath position without my help
How is this annoying?

Because we are all jealous? lol I'm genuinely confused on that disclaimer.
egrogan likes this.
Yogiwick is offline  
post #14 of 27 Old 07-18-2015, 08:41 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 12,001
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaMy View Post
I get it, we once had a spigot that was perpetually stuck on a "low pressure/high pressure/no water at all" cycle. We had horses that we would take swimming, that stood out in the rain, that we rode through sprinklers but still hated that spigot and I don't blame them. Luckily we had access to another spigot but I could see how using a bucket of water would help.

I had a small fight with a horse over the wash rack once (totally unexpected) but we had an extra long hose (probably over 75 ft) so I just kept up and the problem went away. I also knew someone who once set up sprinklers on the outside of a round pen and let the horse freak out a bit on his own.
LOVE the sprinkler idea!!!

Honestly if you can stand in the rain you can deal with being hosed off!

Agree if you're blasting or burning them or something it may not be pleasant but most of the times it's just "water is water" and they need to get over it.
Yogiwick is offline  
post #15 of 27 Old 07-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 12,001
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecasey View Post
Yogiwick, you're wrong. It does cool the horse. Maybe try it sometime so you can see it for yourself. It's cold water poured all over the horse and then squee-geed off and done again. It's a great solution for those people who can't or don't want to use hoses. Many endurance races don't have hoses, and they cool the horses down with buckets of water. It's the same thing.
Cold water will cool yes. Just don't think a watering can would work as well as other methods. There will be minimal water coming out slowly and you also won't be able to get a lot of the areas (you can't water upwards to the belly for example).

A bucket would definitely work better and a bucket and sponge would work almost as well as a hose. Not disagreeing with the concept just the "watering can" part being ideal ;)
Palomine likes this.
Yogiwick is offline  
post #16 of 27 Old 07-19-2015, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW UK
Posts: 15,141
• Horses: 0
Doesn't like the hose? Tough luck mate you are going to accept it if I say so'

Have the hose outside, take the horse to the hose and just start spraying its lower leg, if it moves keep it on a tight circle and keep spraying, gradually work higher. It will soon learn.

Just supposing the horse injured a leg and it needed cold hosing? What would you do then?
Palomine, sarahfromsc and Yogiwick like this.
Foxhunter is online now  
post #17 of 27 Old 07-19-2015, 11:32 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,178
• Horses: 4
I have seen some hot, sweaty, tired horses that before had never enjoyed a hose but at that rinse down they thoroughly enjoyed getting cooled down.

One owner said her horse would not stand and would freak out over the hose. It just stood and enjoyed the water.
Palomine likes this.
ChitChatChet is offline  
post #18 of 27 Old 07-19-2015, 01:11 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,228
• Horses: 1
Interesting idea!
Luckily, I've never had a horse be that much of a butt-head about hoses xD
Palomine likes this.

The sensitivity of the internet baffles me.
Zexious is offline  
post #19 of 27 Old 07-19-2015, 03:23 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 647
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinthewalk View Post
Sometimes a horse doesn't like the water because it gives them a shock in a place where they hurt. I have noticed that with my horses.

I will probably annoy quite a few people with this one but:

My IR horse sweats like somebody did turn the water hose on him. That means he gets showered every night, before Jammie time.

He is always good about standing (loose in the yard by the fence) without a halter to get showered down. I take his face mask off and have at it with the shower nozzle on the water hose.

Thursday night he was about 120' from the barn, grazing. I held up the water hose, called his name and asked if he wanted his bath. As I walked toward him with a 100' hose that wouldn't reach him, he surprised me by hurriedly walking to me, then past me and went right to his bath spot at the fence. I was still picking my jaw off the ground, when he turned his head to me, as if to say he was ready for his shower, what was I doing?

I have never tied any of my horses to bath them, but the horse in my avatar is the only other horse that would stand without a halter for a bath. I never expected my IR horse to walk 120' at liberty and assume his bath position without my help
That is so cool . . . lol
Mine come and ask for "time with Mom," because I try to make it a pleasant time, and they really enjoy the fly spray, too, and often ask for it. Your guy really enjoys his baths.

hollysjubilee is offline  
post #20 of 27 Old 07-19-2015, 03:26 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 647
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag View Post
One of my previous horses would take a hose almost full blast. He seemed to enjoy getting hosed down. The other, had to have it more like a gentle rain.
I kinda mix 'n match with the spray . . . and usually end with the gentle rain on their faces. I love when they show true acceptance my opening their mouths to the water and playing with it.

hollysjubilee is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ClearFlow Water Hose evilamc Horse Tack Reviews 21 02-27-2015 11:57 AM
Horses and the Water Hose powelldb1 Horse Training 6 06-22-2014 11:45 PM
Suggestions/Advice for getting a horse Used to Water/Hose csimkunas6 Horse Training 14 04-27-2011 04:54 PM
Frighten of Water/ Hose Prairies Dixie Lee Horse Health 2 08-25-2009 11:40 PM
How to teach a horse to tolerate water from a hose/spray-bottle? Britt Horse Training 4 07-15-2009 02:07 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome