List Of Shots Horses Need - The Horse Forum
 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-23-2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Idalou,Texas
Posts: 45
• Horses: 1
List Of Shots Horses Need

I am NOT at All NEW to HOrses like the Forum calls for but wanting to Re~Up my Info since I had 2 mild Strokes back in Dec 8,2014.

What LIST of Shots do I need my Vet give my Mare to cover her,we have had a lot of Mosquitos but there are a lot more to give her !! Please advise!! Thank all yall,Larry
Larry82052 is offline  
post #2 of 16 Old 07-24-2015, 01:48 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 979
• Horses: 1
That very much depends on your location and what you want to do with your mare (e.g. do you want to breed her? Go to shows with her? How old is she?)

The basics I would give every horse in North America are Western Equine Encephalitis (WEE), Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) ans Venezuela Equine Encephalitis (VEE) (= 3-way), as well as Tetanus and West Nile Virus (WNV).

Optional are Equine Influenzavirus (Flu)/and Equine Herpesvirus (EHV-1/4, Rhino/Abortion), although neither of them are particularly good vaccines.

Influenzaviruses recombinate a lot, so every Influenzavirus vaccine is a bit of guesswork whether it covers the currently circulating strains.

Herpesviruses are notoriously difficult to vaccinate against, and also very very common. The current herpesvirus vaccines do not protect against neurological manifestations at all, and even the protection against rhino and abortions is mediocre at best.
So if you are on a budget and not breeding your mare, I probably wouldn't bother with those two.

If you are in a region that has a lot of rabies, I would vaccinate for rabies too. That one has to be given by a vet.

Potomac Horse Fever is optional too. The vaccine isn't very good, and it also depends on your location and whether the horses have a lot of water in their pasture.

The last optional one is strangles. Strangles makes sense if you are boarding, or if you take your horse off-property to shows, trail rides, or other events where she has contact with unknown horses. In that case, I would vaccinate for strangles.
Posted via Mobile Device
walkinthewalk and KigerQueen like this.
Regula is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 07-24-2015, 02:21 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,950
• Horses: 4
Jeeze you guys have a lot to deal with. In Australia we only do tetanus, strangles, and if you're in an area that has it, Hendra.

Hendra is particularly important because it's nasty and zoonotic - horses get it from bats and humans can get it from horses. If you're in an area with the species of bat that carries it, it can be hard or even impossible to get a vet to come out to a sick horse if it's not Hendra vaccinated. And for good reason!
KigerQueen and Horseychick87 like this.

MAKORA THOROUGHBRED SPORTHORSES
blue eyed pony is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 07-24-2015, 03:44 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fly Over State
Posts: 729
• Horses: 5
My horse got a 5-way, West Nile and rabies vaccination.



Journey, Spirit and Goldie...
Love is when reality is better than your dreams!
poundinghooves is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 07-24-2015, 05:27 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,976
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue eyed pony View Post
Jeeze you guys have a lot to deal with. In Australia we only do tetanus, strangles, and if you're in an area that has it, Hendra.

Hendra is particularly important because it's nasty and zoonotic - horses get it from bats and humans can get it from horses. If you're in an area with the species of bat that carries it, it can be hard or even impossible to get a vet to come out to a sick horse if it's not Hendra vaccinated. And for good reason!
A horse just died of Hendra like 30 mins away from me this week :( very sad and unlucky.

Some people won't vaccinate as they believe that the vaccination had killed more horses then the virus actually has. Each to their own though.

Hendra & tetanus and strangles are the ones I have been told to vaccinate for but it all depends on location.
Rainaisabelle is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 07-24-2015, 05:43 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,950
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainaisabelle View Post
A horse just died of Hendra like 30 mins away from me this week :( very sad and unlucky.

Some people won't vaccinate as they believe that the vaccination had killed more horses then the virus actually has. Each to their own though.

Hendra & tetanus and strangles are the ones I have been told to vaccinate for but it all depends on location.
I equate this to the anti-vaxx movement in humans. I disagree strongly, and fully support vets who won't treat horses that haven't had the vaccination, because asking the vet to treat an unvaccinated horse for illness (which may or may not be Hendra) is asking the vet to literally risk their life! Hendra has killed humans too.

But... there's nothing I can say or do that will change someone else's view, and therefore those who choose not to have the right to do so. Their horse, their life, their risk to take.

MAKORA THOROUGHBRED SPORTHORSES
blue eyed pony is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 07-24-2015, 06:02 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,976
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue eyed pony View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainaisabelle View Post
A horse just died of Hendra like 30 mins away from me this week :( very sad and unlucky.

Some people won't vaccinate as they believe that the vaccination had killed more horses then the virus actually has. Each to their own though.

Hendra & tetanus and strangles are the ones I have been told to vaccinate for but it all depends on location.
I equate this to the anti-vaxx movement in humans. I disagree strongly, and fully support vets who won't treat horses that haven't had the vaccination, because asking the vet to treat an unvaccinated horse for illness (which may or may not be Hendra) is asking the vet to literally risk their life! Hendra has killed humans too.

But... there's nothing I can say or do that will change someone else's view, and therefore those who choose not to have the right to do so. Their horse, their life, their risk to take.
With you 100% my horse is vaccinated for it and I have never had a problem.
blue eyed pony likes this.
Rainaisabelle is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 07-24-2015, 07:42 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 8,609
• Horses: 0
OP, the folks discussing Hendra virus vaccines, are in Australia. I don't THINK it has become a requirement in the U.S.

Don't have a panic attack over vaccines.

As has already been mentioned, Your best approach is to speak with your vet.

What you do with your horse and the horse's living conditions will play a huge role in what what vaccinations she needs.

If your horse lives in an area that is not heavily populated and her activity will be geared toward local trail riding, the basic vaccinations will most likely be all you will need.

That said, be sure to ask your vet about rabies in your area. If you live where rabies is high, that would be another vaccine to consider but again, let your vet tell you.
Woodhaven likes this.

A Good Horseman Doesn't Have To Tell Anyone; The Horse Already Knows.

I CAN'T ride 'em n slide 'em. I HAVE to lead 'em n feed 'em Thnx cowchick77.
walkinthewalk is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 07-24-2015, 08:14 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,976
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinthewalk View Post
OP, the folks discussing Hendra virus vaccines, are in Australia. I don't THINK it has become a requirement in the U.S.

Don't have a panic attack over vaccines.

As has already been mentioned, Your best approach is to speak with your vet.

What you do with your horse and the horse's living conditions will play a huge role in what what vaccinations she needs.

If your horse lives in an area that is not heavily populated and her activity will be geared toward local trail riding, the basic vaccinations will most likely be all you will need.

That said, be sure to ask your vet about rabies in your area. If you live where rabies is high, that would be another vaccine to consider but again, let your vet tell you.
Sorry yes only in Australia for Hendra. I thought I mentioned that sorry!
walkinthewalk likes this.
Rainaisabelle is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 07-24-2015, 08:17 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,950
• Horses: 4
Yes Hendra is thus far only in Australia and hopefully going to stay that way! The rest of the world doesn't need it to deal with on top of every terrifying thing you have that we don't!

MAKORA THOROUGHBRED SPORTHORSES
blue eyed pony is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which shots should I give my 2 horses here in Texas? ichliebepferde Horse Health 0 03-22-2012 10:03 PM
Giving horses their yearly shots easyrider Horse Health 27 11-26-2011 12:06 AM
IDK what to list as my horses colors... perfectnhot Horse Colors and Genetics 27 10-13-2011 04:23 AM
R.I.P...a list of horses that died between 06-09 ladybugsgirl Horse Memorials 2 10-07-2010 06:13 PM
What shots do your horses get for in the spring? Gidget Horse Health 12 02-23-2010 12:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome