Long-Distance Horse Purchase - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 29Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 07-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 68
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimario View Post
I bought a horse Twh from Tennessee and ship to chino,ca when she got of the trailer I saw a one eye had a blue film she also got a cold a day or 2 later and so I cantact the owner that nite of course she said she didnt no anything about it so I took her to the vet the next day he said she had a Catraract in that eye and blind the owner has been giving me the round around she told me she would give me half my money back I was willing to work with her but now she wont answer my calls or text so their was no cantract what I like to no if i have a case to sue her for lying and selling me a horse that is almost blind the horse will be going to a rescue that I no and r very good with the horses

While the seller was most definitely lying to you, probably because she wanted to get rid of the mare, you should have taken the time to at least write out a contract, since you were buying from so far away. Optimally, there should have been a visit, from yourself and a vet, but sometimes it just can't happen (as in your case) Ultimately, since there is no contract, you have next to no grounds for a lawsuit. The judge would likely rule against you, since you did not take the extra time to find out more about the mare.
Now about the cataract.. My mare had one. It did not bother her in the least. My cousin also has a stallion that is completely blind in both eyes, and they still use him to ride AND to breed. If they blind slowly, like with cataracts, they can still do the majority of the things a healthy sited horse can do. You just need to be a little more patient with her. I wouldn't go sending her to a rescue just because she's "almost blind" It's only in one eye, right? I know it's not what you were expecting or wanting, but if you didn't want to work with her, you could just sell her. I don't mean any offense to the shelter, but I know of a lot of horses that go in when they're 7 or 8 years old and spend the rest of their lives there. I feel like it should be the last resort, other than auctions of course.

Carpe diem sine desiderio, et ad vitam vivere summum
MeggPottr is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 07-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 250
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggPottr View Post
While the seller was most definitely lying to you, probably because she wanted to get rid of the mare, you should have taken the time to at least write out a contract, since you were buying from so far away. Optimally, there should have been a visit, from yourself and a vet, but sometimes it just can't happen (as in your case) Ultimately, since there is no contract, you have next to no grounds for a lawsuit. The judge would likely rule against you, since you did not take the extra time to find out more about the mare.
Now about the cataract.. My mare had one. It did not bother her in the least. My cousin also has a stallion that is completely blind in both eyes, and they still use him to ride AND to breed. If they blind slowly, like with cataracts, they can still do the majority of the things a healthy sited horse can do. You just need to be a little more patient with her. I wouldn't go sending her to a rescue just because she's "almost blind" It's only in one eye, right? I know it's not what you were expecting or wanting, but if you didn't want to work with her, you could just sell her. I don't mean any offense to the shelter, but I know of a lot of horses that go in when they're 7 or 8 years old and spend the rest of their lives there. I feel like it should be the last resort, other than auctions of course.
We have a mare that only has one eye, we still do competitions on her (barrel racing, pole bending..) And she is fine.

As for buying long distance - NOPE. Not without a vet and/or your riding instructor.
Chasin Ponies and MeggPottr like this.
Roanwatch is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 07-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,258
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKellner View Post
Good Evening All!

I am a new adult rider, very much bitten by the horse-bug. I have never owned a horse, though owning at least 1 riding horse and 2 driving horses on a farm are in the family 5-year plan. In my hours of dreaming about horses online, I have seen a few lovely horses for sale. The problem though-I am in Virginia, they are in Texas and/or California.
What are your thoughts on a long-distance purchase? I would be able to travel out to meet the prospects, however, unlike a local sale/lease, I won't have my trainer, BO or vet with me.
Any questions, tests, etc...I should be sure to ask of a long-distance seller?

(I am currently taking lessons at a local livery barn that has options for full-service board and training, so that is taken care of.)
This is such a bad idea. The only time I would ever consider doing that is if you're buying a foal and its from someone you know. So many things can go wrong with this type of situation, especially if you are inexperienced. There has got to be some prospects locally that you can go take a look at which would permit you to bring a knowledgeable horse person with you.

I myself, even with experience would never do it. To much can go wrong.
Chasin Ponies likes this.
my2geldings is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 07-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: abilene,tx
Posts: 4,250
• Horses: 4
I agree my trainer bought long distance but she put in a ton of money on scoping her, full xrays, full vet check you name it she did it on top of tons of videos, pictures etc. It was a very very long process and even then when the mare got here she was flighty,spooky and not much like the videos showed. Do not buy long distance for your first horse!!!!

just a small town girl with a big town dream :]
BarrelracingArabian is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 07-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,287
• Horses: 2
Agree with the other posters! Do not risk buying a horse long distance no matter how much you want it.
Most horses for sale are misrepresented from a tiny bit to a whole lot.

There are 2 show horses currently for sale where I board. None of the boarders or horse people in the county would touch them with a ten foot pole because the history of these two horses is widely known. They are for sale on the big equine websites for $10,000 & $25,000 respectively. In reality both of these horses are permanently crippled up lame and have joint injections regularly to hide it and when a prospective buyer (always from out of town)comes they are Aced up to the hilt to keep them quiet. Both have been mentally damaged by very abusive training.

Please don't risk buying the wrong horse that you can't return!
Chasin Ponies is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 07-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 9,983
• Horses: 12
I wouldn't recommend it. As a new horse owner going out to look alone you are likely to bring something home that you aren't ready for. That said I've bought both long distance and sight unseen BUT I had someone I knew or trusted that could go out and see the animal and bring their vet to have the animal checked. They were also the ones that hauled my purchase to me so I knew how they loaded and traveled. For most I knew what I wanted and had pics and vids from both the owner and my rep and had an agreement in place that said if I wasn't happy on delivery the horse would be loaded back on the trailer and returned at my expense of course but I wasn't under obligation to buy. I haven't returned one yet. Talk to your trainer/instructor.
QtrBel is online now  
post #17 of 20 Old 07-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,082
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimario View Post
I bought a horse Twh from Tennessee and ship to chino,ca when she got of the trailer I saw a one eye had a blue film she also got a cold a day or 2 later and so I cantact the owner that nite of course she said she didnt no anything about it so I took her to the vet the next day he said she had a Catraract in that eye and blind the owner has been giving me the round around she told me she would give me half my money back I was willing to work with her but now she wont answer my calls or text so their was no cantract what I like to no if i have a case to sue her for lying and selling me a horse that is almost blind the horse will be going to a rescue that I no and r very good with the horses
You should have a vet check prior to purchasing the horse and having it shipped.
churumbeque is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 07-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,082
• Horses: 0
I have bought 2 horses long distance. Prior to flying to see them I watched video's and lined up several horses to see in one trip. I could weed out the ones that lacked training very quickly and went back to the stable with the well trained ones.
I have been very happy with both purchases.
churumbeque is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 07-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Italy
Posts: 508
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Geldings View Post
This is such a bad idea. The only time I would ever consider doing that is if you're buying a foal and its from someone you know.
This just reminded me of something. One of my friends did buy a friesian foal just from pics and videos, it should have been fine, you can't tell much about a 6 months old anyway, and there are people buying friesians sight unseen pretty often. Little foal traveled from Netherlands to Sicily (almost 1500 miles).
When he arrived, first vet check revealed that horsie had a broken little bone in his rear leg. Probably happened during the long travel. My friend didn't have the heart to give the foal back and ask for another (the seller was serious enough that he could have done that).
He had a vet who believed that the damage was small enough, and the horse young enough, that it could have been fixed. Little friesian spent months and months closed in a stall with daily shots and medication. He recovered eventually, and is now the stunning black horse that my friend wanted. But, with the money that went into him, he could have bought 2 adult, well trained and sound horses (even friesians).

This just to say, long distance + you don't know if the horse will be transported with proper attention can lead to injuries even if the horse was perfect from the beginning. It might be work if you are a breeder (it's a risk you accept because you really want good bloodlines) and if you do big shows (and possibly, you paid the horse enough that you cared that transport is as perfect as possible).

It is ok to let a trusted trainer to look at a horse and buy him for you, but buying a horse from far away when you have limited experience is not good.

I know about seeing ads of awesome horses that you want so much, but it is better that you keep looking in your area, when you will have your trainer and your vet to help you, and to keep you away from "wrong" horses.
It is easier to renounce to buy a horse, than it is to send back a horse that you feel you already own. Especially your first horse.
Cielo Notturno is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 07-17-2014, 05:56 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,082
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKellner View Post
Good Evening All!

I am a new adult rider, very much bitten by the horse-bug. I have never owned a horse, though owning at least 1 riding horse and 2 driving horses on a farm are in the family 5-year plan. In my hours of dreaming about horses online, I have seen a few lovely horses for sale. The problem though-I am in Virginia, they are in Texas and/or California.
What are your thoughts on a long-distance purchase? I would be able to travel out to meet the prospects, however, unlike a local sale/lease, I won't have my trainer, BO or vet with me.
Any questions, tests, etc...I should be sure to ask of a long-distance seller?

(I am currently taking lessons at a local livery barn that has options for full-service board and training, so that is taken care of.)
There are toms of riding/driving horses pout East. What are you looking for that you cant find in your area?
churumbeque is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it safe to trailer my horse long distance? SayWHUT Horse Health 0 03-16-2014 05:52 PM
Never bought a horse long distance before... Rider713 Horses for Sale 24 02-03-2014 05:31 PM
Trailering a horse long distance BaileyJo Horse Talk 10 03-28-2012 02:17 AM
Buying a Horse Trailer Long Distance Rosebud64 Horse Trailers 6 11-04-2010 06:39 PM
Trailering my horse long distance Jumpit007 Horse Talk 1 11-10-2007 05:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome