More stupid questions... what do I need? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 30Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 Old 04-27-2015, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,230
• Horses: 2
Also, I need advice quick! Someone just offered me sliding horse stall doors for 300$ each. They just bought a horse farm but are dairy farmers. The doors are in great shape. Would you grab a couple before they're gone or wait to get exactly the door you want?
Acadianartist is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 04-27-2015, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,230
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperbaby22 View Post
I second the big pile of cash. Until you get your horses, you will not have a good idea of what you want or need. And you just might end up getting a horse that comes with a lot of stuff, not what usually happens, but it could. I would start with planning your barn, actually marking off with chalk, stalls, tack room, etc. to get an idea of how you want to build.
You should see my driveway :) Daughter got sidewalk chalk and next thing you know we are both hanging out in the "tack room" watching our chalk horses across the aisle. Done to scale too!

In all seriousness, we are meeting with the contractor this week to start making concrete plans (no pun intended) and already have a couple of possible layouts in mind. It will all depend on cost (did someone say something about money?). Once the building location is marked off, then I can start planning the paddock and pastures.
dlady likes this.
Acadianartist is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 04-28-2015, 01:01 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 8,790
• Horses: 12
I just did a search for stall doors and opened one site. Their run of the mill stall doors are $546.00 new so if they are in excellent condition then 300 probably isn't a bad price. Make sure it comes with all the hardware too though because the one I listed did and I bet the hardware alone isn't cheap.
Acadianartist likes this.

R.I.P. JC 5/19/85 - 12/9/14. You made my life better.
JCnGrace is online now  
post #14 of 31 Old 04-28-2015, 01:40 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 33
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianartist View Post
...In all seriousness, we are meeting with the contractor this week to start making concrete plans (no pun intended) and already have a couple of possible layouts in mind. It will all depend on cost (did someone say something about money?). Once the building location is marked off, then I can start planning the paddock and pastures.
Arcadian,

If you haven't already, think about if and how you are going to get water to the barn. If you will bury a water pipe from the house or somewhere else to get to the barn, at least a section of it will need to be in place before the concrete pour.

My plan, to prevent me from having to heat the whole barn to keep the pipes from freezing, is to install a cheap deep sink in a small cabinet in the barn. The water supply pipe will come up under the sink, and the cabinet will be very well insulated. Once that is done, you can heat that small space with just a thermostat and a light bulb (as long as no one leaves the cabinet door open when it's zero).

Down in that cabinet you can also install a point-of-use electric water heater for the hot side tap. They are small and cheap. Hot water in the barn is great for hooking up a hose to the deep sink spigot and giving hot baths on days when you don't want to risk chilling the horses.

in that cabinet you can also have a couple hose connections that will allow you to run heated water hose to heated automagic water feeders in the stalls. You won't want the sink too far from the stalls because heating any kind of water pipe costs more the further you run the pipe.

Finally, you mentioned heat. I see you are in Canada. I would put a lot of thought on your barn, and specifically, stall construction. You can spend a ton of money heating poorly insulated spaces, and when it comes to heating, smaller is better. Since the concrete guy is coming, you might ask about in slab hot water heat for the stalls. You can build one of those systems using a common water heater, and put the heat just where you want it, in the stalls.

Good luck and have fun. We're going through the same thing right now.

P.S. Get the pitchfork now...it comes in handy for shovelling the money out the door.
Sharpie and anndankev like this.
CBXSteve is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 04-28-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,230
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBXSteve View Post
Arcadian,

If you haven't already, think about if and how you are going to get water to the barn. If you will bury a water pipe from the house or somewhere else to get to the barn, at least a section of it will need to be in place before the concrete pour.

My plan, to prevent me from having to heat the whole barn to keep the pipes from freezing, is to install a cheap deep sink in a small cabinet in the barn. The water supply pipe will come up under the sink, and the cabinet will be very well insulated. Once that is done, you can heat that small space with just a thermostat and a light bulb (as long as no one leaves the cabinet door open when it's zero).

Down in that cabinet you can also install a point-of-use electric water heater for the hot side tap. They are small and cheap. Hot water in the barn is great for hooking up a hose to the deep sink spigot and giving hot baths on days when you don't want to risk chilling the horses.

in that cabinet you can also have a couple hose connections that will allow you to run heated water hose to heated automagic water feeders in the stalls. You won't want the sink too far from the stalls because heating any kind of water pipe costs more the further you run the pipe.

Finally, you mentioned heat. I see you are in Canada. I would put a lot of thought on your barn, and specifically, stall construction. You can spend a ton of money heating poorly insulated spaces, and when it comes to heating, smaller is better. Since the concrete guy is coming, you might ask about in slab hot water heat for the stalls. You can build one of those systems using a common water heater, and put the heat just where you want it, in the stalls.

Good luck and have fun. We're going through the same thing right now.

P.S. Get the pitchfork now...it comes in handy for shovelling the money out the door.
Funny guy :)

We're not actually going to heat the barn, except for the tack room which will have to be fully enclosed of course. And yes, it does get bitterly cold here, but a well-built barn will stay above freezing when the horses are inside as long as it's shut tight. I have talked to a couple of local horse owners about keeping the water from freezing and they've offered some ideas. Also, my contractor builds agricultural buildings in our area so he will know what to do and in what order it needs to be done. But I'm intrigued by your idea of putting a sink in a cabinet. That would be easy to do in our tack room (also convenient to have a sink in there) and since we will have a heat source that we can turn on and off in the tack room, it would be a good location. I've seen other barns like that, where one room is kept above freezing and that's where the water is located. But then our neighbors have their water pump right in the middle of the aisle (convenient), no heat in the barn, and it doesn't freeze.

Also, almost everyone in the area has discouraged me from getting automatic waterers because they can freeze up and overflow which could be disastrous, especially on a cold day. Worse comes to worse, the water bucket has a sheet of ice over it in the morning and you dump it out and refill. But as I said, I've been in barns in bitterly cold weather and it was always above freezing as long as the horses were inside. They can really throw heat!

As for hot baths - our horses will just have to do without! I don't plan to bathe them much in winter, in fact, the shaggier they get, the better! Washing them would just strip away the oil that keeps them warm in our -35 Celcius winter climate. I don't even wash my dogs in the winter for the same reason and they grow thick winter coats.
Sharpie likes this.
Acadianartist is offline  
post #16 of 31 Old 04-28-2015, 02:34 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 33
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianartist View Post
Funny guy :)

We're not actually going to heat the barn, except for the tack room which will have to be fully enclosed of course. And yes, it does get bitterly cold here, but a well-built barn will stay above freezing when the horses are inside as long as it's shut tight.
Oh good, you're not going to heat the stalls. I thought you planned to and was going with the flow. Your idea of the heated tack room is great. A sink in there would be a place to fill buckets or have a hose to stretch to the stalls.

My warped sense of humor gets me slugged with fair regularity. Like last week when I had finished installing the Priefert stall fronts, I pointed out to my wife that, since all of the sections pin together, if we ever have to, uh, [...get the end-loader into a stall to remove something heavy...] we can just un-pin a stall front and swing it out of the way. My description of "something heavy" was not as delicately stated as here. She cocked her hip, cocked her head, and looked at me like I had just eaten a puppy. I wonder if I'm too old for sensitivity training?
CBXSteve is offline  
post #17 of 31 Old 04-28-2015, 02:52 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mid Northern TN
Posts: 2,515
• Horses: 2
Nah Steve, you're good. Practical considerations are always forefront in my mind too. I've seen some barns that are so poorly designed that you would have to... uh... make sure that if anything bad 'might' happen, that those thing happen outside. Otherwise you'd have to make things smaller and remove piece by piece. Which is absolutely awful.
Sharpie is offline  
post #18 of 31 Old 04-28-2015, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,230
• Horses: 2
BAhahaha... Steve, you are hilarious. I like your practical sense though. It actually occurred to me that horses will die and what the heck do you do with a dead horse? I mean, we live in the country and bury our dogs out back, but I don't think we'll be doing that with horses... so I figure I'll call the vet and let him deal with it.
Acadianartist is offline  
post #19 of 31 Old 04-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OK
Posts: 13,770
• Horses: 9
The main suggestion I would give you is, run electricity to the barn and put an outlet at each stall. That way you can plug in heated water buckets, fans, clippers, extra lights if needed, a portable heater, whatever appliance you might need. $300/door for stalls isn't a huge price but depending on what you intend to do for stalls may or may not be good for you.

My stalls look like this:


I bought all the hardware for about $250/stall and then went to my local lumber store and bought 2 X 6's to finish them out. I probably have less than $400/STALL invested.
anndankev and Acadianartist like this.

Dreamcatcher Arabians is offline  
post #20 of 31 Old 04-28-2015, 04:40 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 134
• Horses: 5
Best thing I ever got (mom got herself one as well as a b-day gift) was the large orange wheel barrel what has two large tires on the front. Lowes is where I got mine. It is big enough to move a bay of hay, I can clean all 5 corrals in one trip and it is super easy to push through deep sand or mud.

Keep in mind no matter how much you plan, once you get the horse, your going to think of something else to buy on a regular basis for quite a while. I always watch the valleyvet and horse.com sales. When the buckets and stuff go on sale I buy about 10 and stock them away, dh sometimes leaves them within reach of his gelding who thinks everything is a cool toy to toss in the air.

You can find other things during the sales like brushes, hoof picks, clippers, feeders, water troughs, hay bags, pallets for your hay to sit on. In some areas it can take a bit to find pallets that don't cost $$. Other things that you can get are saddle rack, bridle rack, shelving in the tack room, saddle blanket rack.

For water trough sizes I usually use large, but when small was the only thing available I made sure I never went smaller than 50 gals per horse. So 4 horses in the pasture, 4 50 gal water troughs were out there.
Acadianartist likes this.
CA VA shooter is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stupid questions Aussies get Darrin General Off Topic Discussion 3 06-10-2013 09:47 PM
There are no stupid questions, right? Weighing feed. SarahAnn Horse Nutrition 5 03-03-2012 02:51 AM
Stupid Bit and Blanket questions Golden Horse Horse Tack and Equipment 11 02-19-2012 02:34 PM
Can I ask two stupid questions??? Aoiffe Horse Talk 44 11-18-2011 03:07 AM
a few stupid questions giget Horse Training 4 08-30-2007 07:18 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome