Need instructions how to put pelham bit on bridle with snaffle and one set of reins - Page 4 - The Horse Forum
 243Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Palmyra, Wisconsin
Posts: 6,161
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecasey View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by an either/or bit.

I do see that there are many people out there using a pelham with one set of reins and that there is equipment for sale to make the pelham usable with one set of reins, so I don't buy the argument that it should only ever be used with two sets of reins, particularly when my instructor/trainer tells me it's how she recommends we do it. I'm not sure whether that's what you meant, though, so sorry if I misunderstood. :)
Sorry I should have been clearer.
I meant it is used either as a curb or a snaffle. Pressure on a snaffle rein does something totally different than on a curb, as it relates to the mouth. Snaffles are usually ridden with contact, a curb no contact unless needed due to it being a leverage bit.
If one mainly rides on the snaffle for lift, contact & direction
& uses the curb for rating speed, tuck, brakes or whatever, how are the two differentiated when they are connected? Every time the reins make contact with the horse's mouth the curb comes onto play & in not the way it was designed. Basically it's like driving with the brakes on.

Sure people do it & horses tolerate it but I don't think it's the best way to have a light responsive horse or hands. I think half halts work better.

I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything, just be careful & check under the horse's chin for rubs.
Cappaloosa and ecasey like this.
natisha is offline  
post #32 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: I'm an American girl living in southwest France
Posts: 1,563
• Horses: 6
BugZapper89, I appreciate your contributions to the thread, but when I say contributions, I don't mean the one theme you've stayed on which is your opinion that my trainer doesn't know what she's doing or doesn't provide the level of service you believe she should.

Living for 45 years in the real world and gaining the experience that comes with age, I have learned that that there is no "one right way" to do anything, and that even when a person doesn't do things the way I think they should, it does not mean they are not excellent at what they do and that I shouldn't listen to what they have to say.

Perhaps when you are my age, you will come to the same conclusion about some things. In the meantime, I encourage you to be a little more open-minded at least, and consider that the way things work in other parts of the world, might not be the same as where you live ... and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

BSMS, you are right ... my lessons are all conducted in French. :)
PaintedPonies92 likes this.

“When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes. ” ~ William Shakespeare
ecasey is offline  
post #33 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 289
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhunter View Post
the lip strap is used to stop the curb chain from twisting which is why the English curb chain has an extra loose link For the lip l,strap to pass through.

It seems to be becoming obsolete.

I am always shocked to see how many top dressage riders ride not only without a lip strap on the double bridles but also that the running head that the Bridoon (snaffle) fits to is done up on the left when it should be on the right to balance the buckle of the noseband.

Then again I am getting older and could be considered old fashioned!

.
A bit off topic:
As a dressage rider who has used a double on a few horses...I've never even seen or heard of a lip strap on a double! News to me haha. I'll have to do some reading now as my interest has been piqued!
As another aside...I have never thought to do the bridoon up on the right but I am SO changing that when I get out to the barn. I always thought all those buckles looked goofy on the one side. I wish I had seen this when I had my pony in a double. His poor little face didn't have enough room for all that leather and buckles on one side! Thanks for sharing that bit of knowledge

The things you learn...
bsms, 4hoofbeat, Yogiwick and 1 others like this.
Tigo is offline  
post #34 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 12,001
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhunter View Post
the lip strap is used to stop the curb chain from twisting which is why the English curb chain has an extra loose link For the lip l,strap to pass through.

It seems to be becoming obsolete.

I am always shocked to see how many top dressage riders ride not only without a lip strap on the double bridles but also that the running head that the Bridoon (snaffle) fits to is done up on the left when it should be on the right to balance the buckle of the noseband.

Then again I am getting older and could be considered old fashioned!

.
Oh OK sounded like it was for control which didn't make a ton of sense. That makes more sense but I feel if done up correctly it won't be twisting? I'll stick to not using it, I don't show or ride hard core.
Thanks.

BugZapper, the daughter is an experienced rider. The mother is an amateur and came on here looking for guidance as to how to put it together. If you read I specifically asked (in a NICE way) if the daughter was also an amateur as I don't feel the bit is appropriate if so. The mother responded and clarified that she is not. Just because some people do things differently doesn't mean it's wrong. Especially with something as stupid as swapping bits. Your trainer does it one way and I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with this trainer's way. Maybe she doesn't have a pelham atm? Does it matter? Seems like a really stupid thing to be upset over.

I'd be ****ed if I was an experienced rider and got kicked off my horse so the trainer could try a new bit. And surprisingly sometimes it can be tricky to hire someone simply to be able to ride the ponies. There really aren't that many 80lb adults running around let alone ones who ride well.

Thought you didn't work with H/J barns? Since other people clarified you CAN show in these bits.

Don't see how the trainer being in the hospital is at ALL relevant. I have a scheduled appointment for an all day hospital procedure next week. Obviously that means I'm a poor horseperson..

To everyone saying it's bad to ride with one rein. I agree it's not what the bit is designed for BUT is not a bad thing IF the person understands there is constant curb pressure and rides accordingly. Look at a Kimberwicke or something... Hackamores... A lot of those your ride with some forgiving contact, no you shouldn't be yanking or cranking but the OPs daughter is experienced and this was bought for a VERY specific purpose...

Wow this thread has gone O/T... I see NOTHING that should have people jumping to conclusions...
Yogiwick is offline  
post #35 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: I'm an American girl living in southwest France
Posts: 1,563
• Horses: 6
You gotta love the Horse Forum for random but very helpful info! :)
Drifting, Tigo, 4hoofbeat and 1 others like this.

“When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes. ” ~ William Shakespeare
ecasey is offline  
post #36 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: I'm an American girl living in southwest France
Posts: 1,563
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogiwick View Post
Oh OK sounded like it was for control which didn't make a ton of sense. That makes more sense but I feel if done up correctly it won't be twisting? I'll stick to not using it, I don't show or ride hard core.
Thanks.

BugZapper, the daughter is an experienced rider. The mother is an amateur and came on here looking for guidance as to how to put it together. If you read I specifically asked (in a NICE way) if the daughter was also an amateur as I don't feel the bit is appropriate if so. The mother responded and clarified that she is not. Just because some people do things differently doesn't mean it's wrong. Especially with something as stupid as swapping bits. Your trainer does it one way and I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with this trainer's way. Maybe she doesn't have a pelham atm? Does it matter? Seems like a really stupid thing to be upset over.

I'd be ****ed if I was an experienced rider and got kicked off my horse so the trainer could try a new bit. And surprisingly sometimes it can be tricky to hire someone simply to be able to ride the ponies. There really aren't that many 80lb adults running around let alone ones who ride well.

Thought you didn't work with H/J barns? Since other people clarified you CAN show in these bits.

Don't see how the trainer being in the hospital is at ALL relevant. I have a scheduled appointment for an all day hospital procedure next week. Obviously that means I'm a poor horseperson..

To everyone saying it's bad to ride with one rein. I agree it's not what the bit is designed for BUT is not a bad thing IF the person understands there is constant curb pressure and rides accordingly. Look at a Kimberwicke or something... Hackamores... A lot of those your ride with some forgiving contact, no you shouldn't be yanking or cranking but the OPs daughter is experienced and this was bought for a VERY specific purpose...

Wow this thread has gone O/T... I see NOTHING that should have people jumping to conclusions...
I'm just going to clarify a couple things. No big deal, but I don't want anyone calling out liar liar pants on fire later. (ha ha - not that anyone would do that)

My daughter and I started riding around the same time. She had some group lessons before me, but in the 18 months she's been riding (private lessons 2-3x a week and group lessons 1-2 times a week), she has advanced far beyond my level. She can ride any of the club's horses, even the sassy ones, but it's not like she's been riding for years and years. Just wanted to be sure you all know the facts. Since our trainer suggested she ride with the pelham this way, obviously my daughter is ready in a professional's eyes. That's all I need to know.

Yogiwick, you were right ... our trainer didn't have a pelham that would fit our horse. She had a really big one for a large horse she has and she had a pony-sized one. Our horse is in between those sizes. She also asked a couple other people who board there if they had one we could borrow, but no one else did. Hence my purchase and post here on the forum.

The two instructors at our barn are adults. The male trainer is way too big to ride my daughter's horse. The female trainer could ride the horse for us, and if there are any problems with the bit, she would definitely do that. But she trusts my daughter to manage it on her own first. We do usually ride in a smaller riding ring when the horse has a new bit or something different going on, just to be on the safe side. I assume we will do that with the pelham as well.
Foxhunter and Yogiwick like this.

“When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes. ” ~ William Shakespeare
ecasey is offline  
post #37 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 12,001
• Horses: 3
Sounds like an excellent trainer to me!
Foxhunter and ecasey like this.
Yogiwick is offline  
post #38 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: I'm an American girl living in southwest France
Posts: 1,563
• Horses: 6
She really is. I trust her implicitly. She knows what she's doing, but she listens too. The horse was telling her to try the pelham, so that's what we're doing. :)
Yogiwick likes this.

“When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes. ” ~ William Shakespeare
ecasey is offline  
post #39 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,472
• Horses: 0
2x Olympic gold medalist McLain Ward hugging Sapphire, using an inappropriate converter.

bsms, Foxhunter, NBEventer and 4 others like this.
updownrider is online now  
post #40 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 728
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by updownrider View Post
2x Olympic gold medalist McLain Ward hugging Sapphire, using an inappropriate converter.




UMMMM ! I think he has been riding longer then 18 months. This kid is still a beginner rider with only 18 months worth of lessons. SO NOT appropriate and very much would be taking my daughter and running the other way
BugZapper89 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diamonds Are Forever PINK bling bridle/reins set-New Piaffe Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 05-15-2013 06:23 PM
Difference between Pelham bridle and snaffle bridle Cinnys Whinny Horse Tack and Equipment 31 01-10-2012 11:48 PM
Draft size red Halter/Bridle Combo, reins, and snaffle bit equiniphile Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 11-24-2010 07:20 PM
Kieffer Jessica II Dressage Snaffle Bridle/Reins Horsesarebetterthanpeople Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 02-19-2010 03:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome