Need instructions how to put pelham bit on bridle with snaffle and one set of reins - Page 6 - The Horse Forum
 243Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,472
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal View Post
The ONLY use for a Pelham adapter is trail riding a stone broke cold trail horse that likes that particular Pelham and you ride on loose reins with no contact.
Get a different bit.
I believe you have been proven you wrong. McLain Ward did not win his Olympic gold medals in trail riding. Nick Skelton riding Big Star, another Olympic gold winner, also was known for using a converter.
bsms, Foxhunter, 4hoofbeat and 1 others like this.
updownrider is online now  
post #52 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Central Illinois
Posts: 7,135
• Horses: 3
I think you are right. I also believe that they both know their horses, too. I wrote in response to the OP and the question. I wouldn't recommend a converted Pelham to fix the OP's problem. Would you?

A Jack and Three Queens, the latest book by James C. Dedman, Amazon.com
Hope that you fall in love with "Trot", like I did! https://www.horseforum.com/general-of...queens-617793/
Corporal is offline  
post #53 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: I'm an American girl living in southwest France
Posts: 1,563
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal View Post
A Pelham is one of my favorite bits, but it was designed to be ridden with 4 reins. If your daughter doesn't know how to fit adaptors on this bit, I seriously doubt that she knows how to hold and control a horse with 4 reins.
The ONLY use for a Pelham adapter is trail riding a stone broke cold trail horse that likes that particular Pelham and you ride on loose reins with no contact.
Get a different bit.
Respectfully, corporal, you're wrong about that. There are several uses for the pelham already mentioned (and proven effective by experienced horse people) mentioned on this thread. But I do appreciate your input!

“When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes. ” ~ William Shakespeare
ecasey is offline  
post #54 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: southern Arizona
Posts: 12,058
• Horses: 4
My experience with curbs has been in western riding, so I'll get off this thread after sharing a thought for ecasey to think about and watch:

As an inadequate rider on a very spooky horse, I switched to a curb to give me more control. That will be 2 years ago this December. However, over the last 2 years, I've discovered a paradox:

Because I have more control with the bit, I use the bit less for control. It took having more control for stopping or slowing with the bit to teach both of us, rider AND horse, to use the bit for communication instead of control.

When faced with a 'scary' situation, both of us know she can be stopped with the curb. Because of that, we've been able to face more of those situations with slack in the reins and freedom for my horse. She has learned some confidence in herself because I act confident in her. And by her making more reasonable choices with a slack rein, I've started to actually trust her more.

The bit became 'harsher', but both of us have become softer.

I wonder if that isn't what ecasy's instructor is thinking of - using a bit with more control so neither pony nor rider will need to use the bit for control. If so, then the daughter may learn more from the change in bits than the horse does, to the benefit of both.

When I ride Mia now, I'm more likely to grab her newest bit, a single joint O-ring snaffle, than the Billy Allen curb. But using the curb changed us both enough that the Billy Allen is no longer the automatic "right bit" for either of us.
dlady, 4hoofbeat, ecasey and 2 others like this.

Riders ask "How?" Horsemen ask "Why?"
bsms is online now  
post #55 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Central Illinois
Posts: 7,135
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal View Post
A Pelham is one of my favorite bits, but it was designed to be ridden with 4 reins.
Nobody quoted my opinion. Really, I don't need a primer on how to use one bc I've owned/ridden with Pelhams for over 25 years. I guess, at this point, the thread's question has become irrelevent.

A Jack and Three Queens, the latest book by James C. Dedman, Amazon.com
Hope that you fall in love with "Trot", like I did! https://www.horseforum.com/general-of...queens-617793/
Corporal is offline  
post #56 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,472
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal View Post
I think you are right. I also believe that they both know their horses, too. I wrote in response to the OP and the question. I wouldn't recommend a converted Pelham to fix the OP's problem. Would you?
Corporal your exact words were, "The ONLY use for a Pelham adapter is trail riding a stone broke cold trail horse that likes that particular Pelham and you ride on loose reins with no contact.
Get a different bit.".

That is not the ONLY use for a converter. If you do not say exactly what you mean in a clear way, do not post it. This is not the first time you have done this. As I have said previously, correct information is important.
ecasey and Katz1411 like this.
updownrider is online now  
post #57 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: I'm an American girl living in southwest France
Posts: 1,563
• Horses: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms View Post
My experience with curbs has been in western riding, so I'll get off this thread after sharing a thought for ecasey to think about and watch:

As an inadequate rider on a very spooky horse, I switched to a curb to give me more control. That will be 2 years ago this December. However, over the last 2 years, I've discovered a paradox:

Because I have more control with the bit, I use the bit less for control. It took having more control for stopping or slowing with the bit to teach both of us, rider AND horse, to use the bit for communication instead of control.

When faced with a 'scary' situation, both of us know she can be stopped with the curb. Because of that, we've been able to face more of those situations with slack in the reins and freedom for my horse. She has learned some confidence in herself because I act confident in her. And by her making more reasonable choices with a slack rein, I've started to actually trust her more.

The bit became 'harsher', but both of us have become softer.

I wonder if that isn't what ecasy's instructor is thinking of - using a bit with more control so neither pony nor rider will need to use the bit for control. If so, then the daughter may learn more from the change in bits than the horse does, to the benefit of both.

When I ride Mia now, I'm more likely to grab her newest bit, a single joint O-ring snaffle, than the Billy Allen curb. But using the curb changed us both enough that the Billy Allen is no longer the automatic "right bit" for either of us.
I completely understand this. The logic is right on with my own experience. I had to ride a horse in a curb bit once and I was so afraid of hurting the horse's mouth, I barely used the reins at all.

I've had a discussion with my daughter about all the comments you've all shared here (thanks again for your wise counsel, everyone who had helpful things to say), about how this is a leverage bit that can be very harsh, and that the horse will learn from the release of pressure not the pressure itself, and she is very aware of what she needs to do. She watches Clinton Anderson videos with me and I share posts from the forum with her. She understands her responsibility is especially great with this bit. I'll update on how it goes after our next lesson Sunday.
jaydee likes this.

“When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes. ” ~ William Shakespeare
ecasey is offline  
post #58 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 03:23 PM
Administrator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 33,832
• Horses: 3
There seems to be some confusion about 'contact' and 'English riding' - a horse learns early on to give to pressure - contact - and relaxes into it. you can hold that horse in that position on a fairly light hand - shorter rein does not = vice like grip clamping the horses head into that position.
Where bits like pelhams are useful is when you get a horse that can become strong in certain situations they enable you to hold the horse with a lot less strength or force than in a plain snaffle - nothing worse IMO than seeing someone sawing at a horses mouth in a snaffle trying to get control of it
Not sure where the 4 reins would figure on any bit - maybe if you have split reins? Not getting that I'm afraid.
The OP's trainer is approaching this from a European/British perspective so look at a UK opinion on the use of the combination and the purpose of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvrfQO1YNV0
jaydee is offline  
post #59 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,472
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Not sure where the 4 reins would figure on any bit - maybe if you have split reins? Not getting that I'm afraid.
New math, jaydee.

The buckle in the middle of a rein makes the rein into two reins. This way two reins with buckles in the middle would be four reins. What is interesting is that the curb rein on every pelham I ever used was sewn and did not have a buckle. I guess all along I used three reins on pelhams. I've been counting wrong for over 40 years!
jaydee, NBEventer and Yogiwick like this.
updownrider is online now  
post #60 of 129 Old 11-07-2014, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW UK
Posts: 15,138
• Horses: 0
I would teach children using two pairs of reins with their ponies in a Pelham.

The thing about couplings is that there is not much pressure on the curb anyway as the rein usually goes to the top half of the coupling.

I am sure the OPs daughter is not going to bust her horse's jaw by using a Pelham with couplings.

Last edited by Foxhunter; 11-07-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Foxhunter is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diamonds Are Forever PINK bling bridle/reins set-New Piaffe Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 05-15-2013 06:23 PM
Difference between Pelham bridle and snaffle bridle Cinnys Whinny Horse Tack and Equipment 31 01-10-2012 11:48 PM
Draft size red Halter/Bridle Combo, reins, and snaffle bit equiniphile Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 11-24-2010 07:20 PM
Kieffer Jessica II Dressage Snaffle Bridle/Reins Horsesarebetterthanpeople Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 02-19-2010 03:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome