My answers are in bold.
- Do most people in the south feed hay all winter?
Yes, I'm in Florida and we feed hay nearly all winter long and a lot of people feed it the whole year due to poor pasture quality in certain areas.
- when are horse shoes needed? Only for riding on hard surfaces?
This depends on how often you will be riding the horse, the terrain you'll ride over, and how fast the horse grows out new hoof.
- what type of horse is used for barrel racing?
You will most commonly see Quarter horses, Paints, and Appaloosas. However you may also find Thoroughbreds, Arabians, Mustangs, and even larger ponies on the smaller local circuits.
- how old of a horse should I get for me and my wifes first horses?
For a first time horse owner you'd want an older, calmer horse. If you are green as grass new I'd suggest some riding lessons first honestly.
- How big does each stall need to be?
A common size is 12 x 12 feet, but you can go as small as 12x 10, but you don't really want to go any smaller than that.
- Do I need to replant my pasture? Currently has fescue in it? I can spray it and then no til drill in anything.
Fescue is fine, it's a grass that is higher in sugar, but it's alright. If however you have even the most remote chance of having a pregnant mare on the pasture then the fescue needs to go as it can cause a mare to abort her foal. I'd probably leave it as is and slowly begin seeding with a different type of grass over time.
"They see me rollin, They hatin, Patrolling they tryin to catch me ridin dirty"