New Owner jumped in neck deep
I am a new horse owner and have purchased a mare, Twist, and her colt, Moxy, born on Sep 3 as well as another colt, Mohawk, from different location. I have kept Mohawk separate from the other 2 for over a week to hopefully ensure he doesn't have strangles. Mo is very rambunctious and wants out of his stall but he is also barely bridal broken. I have a couple of questions:
1. how long should I keep them separate to ensure no problems
2. how should I introduce them so there are no issues/fighting
3. as I live in a cold environment I was thinking about keeping them in stalls for the winter and only putting them out to pasture on nicer days.
4. if I switch to a stall is it acceptable to keep the mare and colt in the same stall, the stalls I have are 12+'x18+'.
5. should i feed them alfalfa or hay or a mix and should their diet include a mix of oats cracked corn and such as a supplement
6. I am placing a salt and mineral block in each stall, is that good or bad
7. I want to build a coral for working with my colts and training, what is a good size, should I build normal wood fence or a portable metal coral?
I have a 5-6 acre pasture which should support the 3 easily. I also have a 10+- acre hay field that I plan on fencing in to allow for grazing after the second cutting next year.