pain in calf after lessons - Page 4 - The Horse Forum
 46Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 Old 02-12-2017, 07:02 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,089
• Horses: 0
Glad to hear things are better. This has caused a lot of discussion in my circles and you’d be surprised at the number who have something similar – either rolling inwards or outwards.
From discussions it seems that my problem stems from my out-of-line knees which when pushed into line by the saddle are affecting my ankles and feet. My friends are shorter and their problems seem to come from a combination of the height of their horses, the roundness of their barrels and their own leg shapes. Their stirrups are short enough to sit at the opposite angle to mine against the horse before they even put their feet in.
We’re all going to have a look for the wedges.
Acadianartist likes this.
Caledonian is online now  
post #32 of 35 Old 02-12-2017, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,648
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledonian View Post
Glad to hear things are better. This has caused a lot of discussion in my circles and you’d be surprised at the number who have something similar – either rolling inwards or outwards.
From discussions it seems that my problem stems from my out-of-line knees which when pushed into line by the saddle are affecting my ankles and feet. My friends are shorter and their problems seem to come from a combination of the height of their horses, the roundness of their barrels and their own leg shapes. Their stirrups are short enough to sit at the opposite angle to mine against the horse before they even put their feet in.
We’re all going to have a look for the wedges.
I never thought of the height factor! I mean, I knew the length of my thighs is shorter than most which means the stirrup bars on most saddles are too far forward for me, but I never thought of the fact that my foot sits basically in the middle of the horse's barrel rather than just below the roundest part. The size of the horse would make a difference too. My horses are small (14.2 and 14.3), but the lesson horses are 15hh and up.

I agree, those wedges sound like a great solution to keep my leg in the right position.
Acadianartist is offline  
post #33 of 35 Old 02-18-2017, 08:07 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,246
• Horses: 0
Glad you are feeling better after a lesson w/ your own saddle! I used to bring my own saddle as well before we "moved in" to the lesson barn.

In the future, if you feel you have knots in your muscles, try a foam roller. Warning: it hurts like @*(! to use it but you'll feel better after. Of course, the above tips to prevent the pain in the first place are best.
Acadianartist likes this.
Jan1975 is offline  
post #34 of 35 Old 02-18-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,648
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan1975 View Post
Glad you are feeling better after a lesson w/ your own saddle! I used to bring my own saddle as well before we "moved in" to the lesson barn.

In the future, if you feel you have knots in your muscles, try a foam roller. Warning: it hurts like @*(! to use it but you'll feel better after. Of course, the above tips to prevent the pain in the first place are best.
Will try that Jan - thanks! Having like zero athletic ability since I've pretty much never played a sport in my life, this is a little new to me.

Funny though, when I took a pilates class last fall, after the first class the instructor told me it was obvious that I exercise because I was able to keep up pretty easily. I said "Nope, not intentionally! I just have horses!" Seriously, my biceps have never looked better! Speaking of which, I need to go haul some hay bales!
Acadianartist is offline  
post #35 of 35 Old 02-18-2017, 08:29 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,246
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianartist View Post
Will try that Jan - thanks! Having like zero athletic ability since I've pretty much never played a sport in my life, this is a little new to me.

Funny though, when I took a pilates class last fall, after the first class the instructor told me it was obvious that I exercise because I was able to keep up pretty easily. I said "Nope, not intentionally! I just have horses!" Seriously, my biceps have never looked better! Speaking of which, I need to go haul some hay bales!
You can also use a tennis ball if you don't want to buy a foam roller.
Acadianartist likes this.
Jan1975 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Calf Heifer and Her First Calf :/ dawnandduke2002 Farm Forum 10 02-17-2016 10:44 PM
Lower back pain after riding lessons Horsev3erandrider824 Rider Wellness 8 01-22-2013 12:36 PM
New calf 2 days old now Debbiesgypsy Farm Animals 15 05-28-2012 07:55 PM
We got a calf apachewhitesox Horse Pictures 10 03-13-2011 10:48 AM
Calf Problems makin tracks Hobbies 3 06-26-2009 12:52 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome